IGNORED

Europa Group Stage Draw

Much rather face quality sides than have to travel to Moldova and Siberia to face 11 grafters/hard men with a bunch of opposition fans that behave like thugs.

Lyon is a historically great team in France and who wouldn't get excited for a trip to Italy and Cyprus?

Great day to be an Evertonian, in my opinion!

Edited by Quinn31

That's dated the 5th of August?

From this year's earlier qualifying rounds. Reading more about UEFA discipline, I'm not sure why Lyon is even allowed in Europe this season. They and Besiktas were both given bans from the next UEFA competition they qualified for but both were deferred for 2 years and those clubs were placed on probation. Subsequently, several charges were made against Lyon during their Europa semifinal with Ajax. It's a little unclear whether they were actually found guilty but, assuming they were, I don't know how this wouldn't be a violation of their probation. A more conspiratorial individual might conclude that they are being given leniency because they are hosting the final. http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/disciplinary/index.html

Edited by SpartyBlue

From this year's earlier qualifying rounds. Reading more about UEFA discipline, I'm not sure why Lyon is even allowed in Europe this season. They and Besiktas were both given bans from the next UEFA competition they qualified for but both were deferred for 2 years and those clubs were placed on probation. Subsequently, several charges were made against Lyon during their Europa semifinal with Ajax. It's a little unclear whether they were actually found guilty but, assuming they were, I don't know how this wouldn't be a violation of their probation. A more conspiratorial individual might conclude that they are being given leniency because they are hosting the final. http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/disciplinary/index.html

They're just empty threats, they're terrified to actually punish clubs. Until they actually do it there is no incentive for fans to behave.

I think this is our Group E match schedule --

Sept 14 - Atalanta-Everton

Sept 28 - Everton-Apollon

Oct 19 - Everton-Lyon

Nov 2 - Lyon-Everton

Nov 23 - Everton-Atalanta

Dec 7 - Apollon-Everton

Ha, sorry, I see it's posted on the OS. I feel marginally dumber than usual.......

Edited by Elston Gunnn

They're just empty threats, they're terrified to actually punish clubs. Until they actually do it there is no incentive for fans to behave.

The club/local authorities and, ultimately, the more reasonable fans need to be incentivized to police this themselves. In order for that to happen the penalties have to be harsher and/or enforced more liberally. If your club behaves consistently bad and it starts costing you a chance to play in Europe or the fines are an amount that will effect transfer business they will have no choice but to really address it. It's similar to players diving. When there is no real punishment for simulation there is no reason for players to change their tactics. As an American, i am both horrified and fascinated by these sorts of incidents. It's just not something we deal with hardly at all when it comes to sports. It's laughable to think of Yankees fans roaming the streets looking to take on visiting Cleveland Indians supporters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...