IGNORED

Swansea City (Home) Monday December 18th

markjazzbassist

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

We don't play as effectively when we have both of them playing as they contain each other and get in each others way.  We looked much more potent and effective with Davies on the pitch, he is always looking to get us going forward. 

To be fair I though Morgan was the better player out of the two in the first half, but in the second half Gana was immense.

Yeah. They certainly suffocate each other and Gana is much better in the areas that Morgan takes up. What a problem to have though!

The other problem is that Rooneys best games are coming when he plays deeper. We thought we had too much choice at Number 10...bang in the middle is the problem!

36 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

That's what? 5 for the year? 

I think there have been years where we haven't gotten 3 penalties in the PL all year...

One season we got out first pen in the final day in a nothing game against Newcastle. Many clear cut pens turned down throughout the season as well. 

1 minute ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Schneiderlin acts as a 3rd central defender when we attack. He ends up dropping in as the full backs go forward but that hasn't been happening as often with our poor form until recently.

When you are in control of the game Schneiderlin is a great player to have because you can knock it back to him and he will find someone to start a new attack. When we have struggled he becomes a liability because we need someone to fight for the ball.

What was significant tonight was the effect of our pacey players. Both Lennon and Kenny won penalties because they burst into the box and caused havoc. It is something that we have lacked most of the season and it's clear that we could do with adding more in January.

Yep. Absolutely. He's not a bad player but he suits a certain system. 

happy with the result, not with the tactics.  51% possesion at home against a bottom table relegation team, without the first penalty who knows how that second half would have gone.  i'm still giving him time but i'd like to see him try and win the game from the go instead of just defending for our lives and hoping for luck/pens/worldie gylfi goals.

Another good result so no complaints. We simply cannot keep playing Gana and Schneiderlin in midfield though. For me, Gana is the better defensive player, his strengths are tackling and disrupting. I honestly don't see what Schneiderlin brings to the side, he sits deep, doesn't really tackle, doesn't pass, makes Gana play where he is ineffective the other side of the halfway line. He is the weak link every time he plays, people on here give Davies shit but when he came on he got onto the ball far more often and looked twice as effective. Let's stop making excuses, he's a passenger when he plays and we need to get rid. 

And I know Williams has played better in recent weeks but what he did for their goal was beyond elementary. You don't expect an 18 year old to be dragged into the ball like that, it was terrible. 

On plus side, Rooney, Kenny, DCL, Sigurdsson - there's a football team there. And I thought Holgate was excellent after that disgrace of a yellow card. Bring in a CB and N'Zonzi and we can compete for 7th.

38 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

He's been heavily

38 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Schneiderlin is a play maker

No he isn'tt. If he's the standard you're setting for playmaker you are asking for mediocrity. When was the last time you saw him make a decisive forward pass? I wish people would stop defending him regardless of how average or worse he plays. 

27 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I liked it. Fer tried to intimidate him. No chance. DCL let him know about it too.

We need a bit of that about us

It was the tackle that I was annoyed with (execution of it I mean), but yeah the reaction was good if not a little risky. Was great to see the young lads stand up for each other though. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

It was the tackle that I was annoyed with (execution of it I mean), but yeah the reaction was good if not a little risky. Was great to see the young lads stand up for each other though. 

Quoting you and Haf - Kenny didn't properly execute that. Needed to clip his ankle and take the yellow.

As for the reaction, I don't like our players rolling over, but you run the risk of getting yourself sent off and potentially banned for that. And then we'd have Holgate playing RB out of position, Cuco still at LB and either an unknown in Keane or Jags put back in CB.

Putting Lookman on did nothing for the team, he just kept running into people and losing the ball.  Don't know what Vlasic has to do to get a game.

Schneiderlin is an enigma, I fail to see how he was ever considered to be a top player, any one of Davies, Besic, or McCarthy would be an improvement.

54 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Quoting you and Haf - Kenny didn't properly execute that. Needed to clip his ankle and take the yellow.

As for the reaction, I don't like our players rolling over, but you run the risk of getting yourself sent off and potentially banned for that. And then we'd have Holgate playing RB out of position, Cuco still at LB and either an unknown in Keane or Jags put back in CB.

I’d normally agree, but Kenny just stood up to the guy because he was confronted. I’ve no problem with that, risky as it may be. What I was really pleased with was the young lads being first to back each other up without being overly aggressive, don’t think I saw a senior player getting involved which was annoying. 

31 minutes ago, hafnia said:

The young lads had each others backs. Great to see. 

They also (Kenny/Davies/Holgate along with Gana) were the last on the pitch at the end in front of the Gwladys, great to see them in the flesh. Kenny and Holgate were mightily impressive I thought. I missed who cocked up for their goal someone near me said is was Williams and seems he was right, though he was solid otherwise. Cuco was average. The only player who stunk the place out was Schneiderlin, though Gylfi wasn't much better first half but his goal was superb; we were right in line with it and I thought it was going over the bar:D. Rooney was eager (probably overly so) but gave the ball away far too much, but he showed bottle to take the second pen (DC-L & Gylfi fancied it but he marched up and pulled rank); was the foul really outside the box? Looked in from where we were sat. Lennon was great, DC-L also but really needs to work on his finishing. Gana was duracel bunny again, yes he gave the ball away on occasion but he was everywhere. Pickford some dodgy distribution but a safe pair of hands.

Think that's everyone. Oh, Davies was a gazillion % improvement on Morgan; to steal Haf's vehicular analogy style he may have the name of a classic car but he's currently playing like a misfiring Reliant Robin.

Good day though all round.

Oh and forgot to mention I turned away in disappointment when the first pen was saved so missed DC-L following up:lol:. Crowd quickly let me know though.

Couple sat to my left had a "ritual" for not watching pens they told me but the guy was confident for the first one so broke it and watched; when we got the second I told him to turn his f'king back (which he already had to be fair):D. One of the joys of Goodison for me is striking up chats with random people around you, sure there are arseholes in there but 95% of the time it's great.

4 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

On a positive note, sitting at Mr. Dennehy's in NYC with JoeQuince watching the match.

I'm now working each week less than an hour from Manhattan. Today, though, my flight from Atlanta was delayed ten hours, so the game was over by the time I even landed. Glad you guys got to watch the game together. Maybe we can organize a Manhattan get-together at some point for all of us within striking distance of the city.

2 hours ago, Paddock said:

Another win- not a great performance but I’m not arsed I’ll take it all day long. I’d wrote this season off last ng ago and each shite win is a step closer to 40 points and I’ll be happy with staying up after the start we made.

This. 

We’re horrible to watch for the most part but it beats getting walloped week after week. 

14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm now working each week less than an hour from Manhattan. Today, though, my flight from Atlanta was delayed ten hours, so the game was over by the time I even landed. Glad you guys got to watch the game together. Maybe we can organize a Manhattan get-together at some point for all of us within striking distance of the city.

That'd be great.