IGNORED

Chelsea (Home) Saturday December 23rd

markjazzbassist

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

SSN gave Keane MOTM :huh: 

He's done well, but not in the top 5 candidates for me

Just looking at our team I'd rank him 9th. Maybe 8th if you take in to account Jags is meant to be captain and didn't stick up for the team against that bent as fuck ref. 

Kenny 

DCL 

Martina 

Schneiderlin 

Pickford 

Lennon 

Sigurdssen 

Jagielka 

Keane 

Davies 

Gana

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We shouldn't be buying in January we should be selling the players surplus to requirements, if you buy in January you pay through the nose for average players, were not in danger of going down so no panic buys required let's take our time do the homework and get the right players for the right money.

If we don't buy in January than we have no desire to break the top 6.

I suppose people's expectations and aspirations are different though. 

30 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

Played that 2nd half with 10 men so great draw 

Spot on. One of my favorite games of the year thus far. 

Pros:

That was an immense performance from Siggy. Had to be the hardest a player has worked all season. 

Jags.

Keane’s defending.

pickford worth every penny. England 1 for next decade.

DCL great for being so young/inexperienced.

I miss Coleman but Kenny is fantastic.

Baningime came on in tough spot and moved the ball very well.

Schneiderlin is still a tit but playing much much better. 

Cons:

Sandro was completely useless. Might as well have sat down on the pitch.

Keane’s offense. Passing and free header.

Officiating has been good this year, Madley had a rough one today. 

6 minutes ago, Aidan Lewis said:

If we don't buy in January than we have no desire to break the top 6.

I suppose people's expectations and aspirations are different though. 

Don't let your heart rule your head, January is not the time to buy it the best time to sell, my aspirations are immense my realism is greater.

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We've scored fourteen (and conceded two) in our last seven games:huh:. That'll do for me.

We’ve scored five in the last four. We’ve had a lot of luck, too, thanks to Pickford’s posts. And two of our recent goals were relatively dubious penalties. Our offensive play has been mostly uninspiring. I’m glad to get results. Lord knows we need them. And, I’m more than happy to see us play a game like we did today against the likes of Chelsea, knowing they are capable of tearing us apart. But, we seem to be only playing one note. I’m glad we have stopped leaking goals. But, we don’t look to be serious about winning. 

Anyhow, I’m not trying to be all doom and gloom. Frankly, I’m just ambivalent about all of this (the good results but the frustrating style of play). Ideally, I’d like to see us get results by taking it to the teams that we can dominate and frustrating those who can dominate us. I know everything is a process. I just hope that we are going to evolve and not stagnate. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Don't let your heart rule your head, January is not the time to buy it the best time to sell, my aspirations are immense my realism is greater.

If we need to pay 10m more to get someome like Giroud so be it. We didn't have a shot on target today and are relying on Rooney for most of our goals.

We need a striker if we are to be taken seriously.

5 minutes ago, Aidan Lewis said:

If we need to pay 10m more to get someome like Giroud so be it. We didn't have a shot on target today and are relying on Rooney for most of our goals.

We need a striker if we are to be taken seriously.

Yes we do but the right one which we won't get in January and Giroud has made it clear he doesn't want to come here he's happy living in London.

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Yes we do but the right one which we won't get in January and Giroud has made it clear he doesn't want to come here he's happy living in London.

Giroud just an example. 

He would be my first choice. I'm not saying let's waste our money. I'm content if we don't bring a proven premier league striker in because there isn'tt one realistically available.

I think Giroud could change his mind if not now then in the Summer.

51 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Just looking at our team I'd rank him 9th. Maybe 8th if you take in to account Jags is meant to be captain and didn't stick up for the team against that bent as fuck ref

Kenny 

DCL 

Martina 

Schneiderlin 

Pickford 

Lennon 

Sigurdssen 

Jagielka 

Keane 

Davies 

Gana

Ok, Gana and Jags, what did they do to you?!

Jags was fantastic today, probably saved us from losing with that double goal line clearance (that goes in and it was game over) among a host of other tackles and blocks. If he had "stood up to the ref", he'd likely had been booked and not been able to get stuck in as much as he did,  because the ref seemed to have the whistle in his mouth and hand on the yellow card before we'd made the tackles

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ok, Gana and Jags, what did they do to you?!

Jags was fantastic today, probably saved us from losing with that double goal line clearance (that goes in and it was game over) among a host of other tackles and blocks. If he had "stood up to the ref", he'd likely had been booked and not been able to get stuck in as much as he did,  because the ref seemed to have the whistle in his mouth and hand on the yellow card before we'd made the tackles

I thought that was Kenny. I'd bump him up a few places then. That was the main reason we got a point. 

That's exactly the reason he should have been giving the ref a hard time. Every team in the league would have been more aggressive towards the ref, let him know he's not on, tell him why you think he's wrong, question the fouls he's not giving, and his consistency when their getting them and we're not. DCL was bullied off the ball after doing great work. They should have had a few yellows and the fk would have gave us a breather,  and who knows we might have even snatched the three points from a fk. If Rooney was on the pitch DCL would've got a lot more from the ref. The amount of pulls and pushes he got was disgraceful and Jags should've been asking the ref to do more and l protect him from injury. 

Gana was out of position constantly. Wins the ball only to give it away offers nothing going forward. What's the point in him? What does he offer? Schneiderlin looked twice the player not having to be in two minds covering for him. 

10 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I thought that was Kenny. I'd bump him up a few places then. That was the main reason we got a point. 

That's exactly the reason he should have been giving the ref a hard time. Every team in the league would have been more aggressive towards the ref, let him know he's not on, tell him why you think he's wrong, question the fouls he's not giving, and his consistency when their getting them and we're not. DCL was bullied off the ball after doing great work. They should have had a few yellows and the fk would have gave us a breather,  and who knows we might have even snatched the three points from a fk. If Rooney was on the pitch DCL would've got a lot more from the ref. The amount of pulls and pushes he got was disgraceful and Jags should've been asking the ref to do more and l protect him from injury. 

But like I said, with the ref today he would've been booked which would've put us at a disadvantage. 

We'll never agree on this point either though :lol:

We sat too deep all game, and rode our luck a fair few times. Poor ref, many decisions going against us.

But we've gained another point, not conceded, and will have grown in confidence from that. We need to link winning the ball in our half through to the attacker (s)better , DCL is far too isolated, but he puts in a shift every game, he still,needs to be more clinical though.

Schnierdelin improved as the game went on, still think he needs to move forward with the ball more.

Lennon hassled, Keane grew more confident, Jags made some greatvlast gasp stops, Willliams solid for his half, Kenny maturing every game, Cuco better but still not good enough for the PL. Sigyy was Ok was expecting ore from him in Rooney absence.

Still haven't seen anything from Sandro to make me think he's any substance, kept running away from the ball, and DCL.

As many have said,  under Koeman we would have been battered once again. Got to be pleased we weren't.

7 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Feel free to come back when the sun is shining a bit more. You'll enjoy watching Manchester City for the time being.

Behave, I've been watching everton since 1985. This is Mike walker era football. souless, joyless and with absolutely zero imagination. We looked like west brom out there, only we didn't as at least they have gareth barry to play a pass. I'm happy for you though that points mean more to you than watching a decent game.

40 minutes ago, Blueherts said:

Behave, I've been watching everton since 1985. This is Mike walker era football. souless, joyless and with absolutely zero imagination. We looked like west brom out there, only we didn't as at least they have gareth barry to play a pass. I'm happy for you though that points mean more to you than watching a decent game.

Point being (as I understand it) you don't stop watching after ten minutes however shit we are; I've been watching since the sixties and seen a lot of dross but always stuck with it and tried to see a positive. When Walker was in charge and we were three down I'd still be watching and hoping and believing. Never give up; never surrender, fans downing tools doesn't help anyone.

15 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

There's a couple of "fans" on here that might be better suited watching other teams. You'd enjoy watching Bournemouth, they try to play football come hell or high water and they got demolished 4-0 by Man City for the 3rd successive match in a row.

Football is a confidence game. We've come from leaking goals left and right to finally being tough to beat. This was an important game, it was proof that the defense HAS improves in the last 5 games. It's one thing beating other relegation fodder teams but you have to be able to come out unscathed against the top teams.

We have played both Liverpool and Chelsea now and have been unbeaten. This is an important moment because it gives real confidence to the players and the fans. A new benchmark has been set now. We can go into our next game and be confident that the opposition will not score.

Look at Burnley, nobody is complaining about their style of football but they have scored so few goals it's a wonder how they are where they are, but they are tough to beat and have the joint meanest defence in the league.

You simply cannot survive in the Premier League with a weak defence. Allardyce has been here for 5 games, JUST 5 FUCKING GAMES, and some people are pissing and moaning.

Thing is Paul the people who are moaning live in this perfect bubble they would find something to moan about even if they were City supporters, I feel we need to focus more on the positives before the negatives but some want to just focus on the negatives and dismiss the positives, what Allardyce has done so far with the same players Koeman and Unsworth had at their disposal is miraculous, he new we had to stop conceding goals and make us hard to beat and he achieved that straight away our defenders are buzzing now not scared anymore to be on the pitch they all want to be involved, he will next I believe turn his attention to the midfield, then next season he will buy 2-3 players a striker a defender and maybe a midfielder, and next season he will make us a team that is good in all departments. And people will still moan but that's football and you have to respect that everyone has different opinions and it's great to debate them, and by the way I'm right ask my Mrs I'm never wrong so she says.

In my opinion Chelsea had too many good chances to win that game (and a handful of half chances too) and we were very lucky to draw. On top of that we offered very little threat at the other end. The only difference between this game and our previous encounter in the league was that Jagielka wasn't on the line to keep us in it early in the game. If that goes in and we try and play a little we would have probably shipped a couple more and if you play that game 9 more times, then they probably win 8 or 9 of them.

That said it seems that playing this way is just about all we can do and on a couple of occasions DCL could have made a better decision and given us a good chance on goal. My biggest concern at the moment is that we aren't causing enough of a threat on the counter. Its no like Chelsea are actually playing that well at the moment, they scraped past Soton with a free kick, conceding a similar amount as chances as us but creating more of their own. That really needs to changes but I am sure it will in time under Sam. It is still early days.

In respect of the players, no-one really stood out if I am honest.

Pickford made a couple of good saves, keeping us in the game.

Martina started crap again but really improved as the game went on and was one of our better players at the end. We need to get him going sooner.

Jags was probably my MOTM, 2 superb goal line clearances to keep it 0-0 and didnt put a foot wrong all game.

Williams against didnt do anything wrong although he was fortunate that the header didnt creep under the bar.

Keane was poor IMO. He was beaten 1 v 1 which led to a good chance, he gave the ball away which led to another good chance and he missed a sitter.

Kenny was Kenny, solid all game.

Schneiderlin was better again, he had his biggest impact on a game for a while.

Gana again showed glimpses but doesnt offer enough quality on the counter. Hopefully his injury isnt too bad.

Davies never really got into the game because we couldn't counter attack well enough.

Beni came on and did well considering. He certainly isnt fazed by anything.

Siggy was neither here now there. Out wide he spent most of his time as a wing back and then in the centre he was too easy to beat. He just isnt agile enough to hold a defensive midfield position.

Lennon was typical Lennon, like Kenny he was solid, without really getting too involved.

DCL was also typical DCL. Battled for everything, created something out of nothing but didnt make the right decision. That will come.

Sandro was a bit mixed for me. Sometimes I thought he looked weak and out of his depth, and then he would play a pass that showed good vision and technique and then he would be moving to help create space. I think there is something there to work on myself, albeit I expect that I am in the minority.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Sandro was a bit mixed for me. Sometimes I thought he looked weak and out of his depth, and then he would play a pass that showed good vision and technique and then he would be moving to help create space. I think there is something there to work on myself, albeit I expect that I am in the minority.

You are but I agree with you (for what it's worth:unsure:).

33 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

No mate. They've got an axe to grind against Allardyce. He's been here for 5 games. If the performances haven't improved after 10-15 games then I'm happy to accept their opinion and I'll likely be demanding to see a bit more improvement as well.

But I guarantee that these "fans" will be rubbing their hands if/when a few results don't go out way and will be calling for his head at the earliest opportunity.

You might be right and they do have an axe to grind, but it doesn’t mean they should be told they should be supporting another club. Everyone has their own way and their own opinion. 

I didn’t want Allardyce, I still don’t, and I’m not particularly enjoying the football. I’m enjoying winning (or not losing) but I can see exactly why people are having a moan about what the football is like, and I don’t see why that is a reason to suggest they should go and support another club. Saying it makes you sound a bit of a dick.