IGNORED

Southampton (Home) Saturday August 18th

markjazzbassist

Well, I've just watched the whole game again. I say, my criticism on Cenk was pretty unfair. His off the ball movements created a lot of chances for both Walcott and Richarlison. Some turned into something and some didn't but their link-up plays were beautiful to watch again. I was like stop-rewind-play it again and "OH"

Check Richarlison's goal again, see Cenk's movement.

Eventually, he needs to start scoring though but he is not as bad as it seems in game. All in all, It was a good win with a little bit sauce of drama. Still better than gravy!

24 minutes ago, Sir McGiven said:

Well, I've just watched the whole game again. I say, my criticism on Cenk was pretty unfair. His off the ball movements created a lot of chances for both Walcott and Richarlison. Some turned into something and some didn't but their link-up plays were beautiful to watch again. I was like stop-rewind-play it again and "OH"

Check Richarlison's goal again, see Cenk's movement.

Eventually, he needs to start scoring though but he is not as bad as it seems in game. All in all, It was a good win with a little bit sauce of drama. Still better than gravy!

It will come with time.  Firmino doesn’t score loads with Liverpool but he does all the work creating space and taking on the defenders so mane and salah have it easy.  No one questions him.  Could be similar with Tosun, he works hard and everyone seems to like him manager included I don’t think he has anything to worry about yet.

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

It will come with time.  Firmino doesn’t score loads with Liverpool but he does all the work creating space and taking on the defenders so mane and salah have it easy.  No one questions him.  Could be similar with Tosun, he works hard and everyone seems to like him manager included I don’t think he has anything to worry about yet.

Firminio does it for the full 90 and gets in their faces. Tosun done well but it's clearly not his game. 

Great first 45 minutes from us, the best I've seen at Goodison in a long time but regardless of what manager we have and the philosophy we use it's always a nail biting finish with Everton isn'ttt it? How we made the second half so difficult I don't know as Southampton were awful and there for the taking. Had we played the second half the same way as the first then we would have strolled to the end but thankfully, that's a minor gripe in what was an enjoyable afternoon at the Old Lady - the first three points in the bag under Marco Silva too!

Despite Pickford spilling Cedric's shot I thought Jordan had a good game, especially towards the end when a few balls were being thrown into the box. He gets a bonus thumbs up from me for rattling Mark Hughes with that scissor kick on Danny Ings so for that alone he was in contention to be my MOTM. 

Further forward, I thought Seamus Coleman linked up well on the right and had a decent afternoon as captain as did Holgate and Keane in the middle (who I'm excited to see alongside Yerry Mina). Baines on the left had another comfortable game, despite being hardly troubled. 

In the middle, and this isn'ttt me jumping on the bandwagon but I thought Gueye was the only dodgy character out there. His tackling and break-up play was fine however he got caught in possession a few times and some of his mis-placed passes really could have put us in danger, fingers crossed this is something that he can iron out as the season progresses. Schneiderlin on the other hand was brilliant, calm and collected on the ball and bossed the midfield up until his injury - hopefully it's not something that keeps him out of action for too long as he seems to have revolutionised himself under Marco. 

Richarlison is, well, Richarlison. 3 goals in 2 games, worked his socks off from start to finish despite being booted by Mark Hughes' Stoke Southampton at every opportunity. If he can continue this form throughout the season £50,000,000 will turn out to be a steal, at the moment he's making things happen whenever he gets on the ball with goals being the cherry on top.

Theo, despite missing an absolute sitter was my MOTM yesterday. A lovely finish from a well worked free-kick (bonus points to Morgan for the pass) which got us on our way and then a delightful cross to Richarlison for our second. He should have added to his tally with the shot that he dragged wide and so nearly could have had a brace with the goal that was disallowed. A fantastic afternoon for Walcott. 

Up top, Gylfi and Cenk worked their socks off, a real grafters performance from both of them. 

17 hours ago, hafnia said:

Why the fuck was that so testy??? Was key that we got over the line - a draw would have knocked the stuffing out of us. 

Defence needs sorting. 

I was worried about that myself going into the last few minutes. An equaliser and we go back to the mentality under Martinez where going into the last 10 minutes of a game you just knew we were about to implode. We've got our first win under Marco and we've held out on a one-goal advantage which will work wonders for morale, the defence needs tweaking I'll agree but we've got Mina, Zouma and Digne waiting in the wings.

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

Nice to see us still trying to go forward when just a goal up rather than sitting back and inviting Southampton to come forward; attack is the best form of defence, we finally seem to have a manager who realises this.

To be fair Roberto did this too but the difference seems to be that we have much more stability with Silva. Yes we were pushing forward for a third but not once did we get caught out with our pants pulled down at the back. Whenever Southampton pumped it long we seemed to have the men in numbers to deal with it.

1 hour ago, jofanon said:

Its exciting to think some of the players on the bench are upgrades on what is currently starting

Not sure where Gomes/Bernard would play though

Gomes I think will be a direct replacement for either Gueye or Schneiderlin. He played rather deep in the midfield for Barcelona operating alongside Sergio Busquets so I can see him being something of a deep play-maker for us. He did play on the left-wing for Valencia though (where we he played his best football) although I can't see Richarlison being moved from where he clearly excels.  

One thzing that impressed me was the last five minutes. We killed the time well by keeping hold of the ball and not getting tempted to throw the ball into the box. Gana was very mature in those five minutes.

We nearly threw that good work away in the last 30 seconds by trying to skip the ball into the box and it ending up the other end for a corner. 

But the best part was that we didn’t panick. Last year that would have been a draw in the last minutes.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

From the highlights I have seen Siggy was pretty key in everything we did going forward which is good to see.

Surprised more people dont consider the Pickford challenge a sending off. Wins the ball but the follow through studs the attacking in the back. I think there was a challenge like that last week wasnt there? 😲

What's he supposed to do?! Curtail his kick? Ings knew he was getting there late so and that's the risk. It was a natural movement which ings threw himself too close too. 

23 minutes ago, hafnia said:

What's he supposed to do?! Curtail his kick? Ings knew he was getting there late so and that's the risk. It was a natural movement which ings threw himself too close too. 

Exactly, it was Pickford's ball all day. If he left out people would be losing their shit.

Ings knew the risk, he put himself there knowing he was second to it. I can't believe how much motd and Hughes when on about it. You get similar incidents every season and this is the first time I've heard anyone even consider it a red, usually it goes unmentioned. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

One thzing that impressed me was the last five minutes. We killed the time well by keeping hold of the ball and not getting tempted to throw the ball into the box. Gana was very mature in those five minutes

He was his usual self. Davies made a run through the middle and had loads of space, but a forward pass just isn'tt in Gana's locker. His off ball is terrible as well always goes hiding about 2 yards in the wrong place. 

Biggest compliment players said about Barry was that he always made himself available for the ball. Whereas Gana doesn't want it, like watching a kid play hot potato when he does get the ball as he can't get rid of it fast enough often, and when he doesn't play it safe he often plays a teammate into danger, how often a player loses the ball after receiving it from Gana? Rarely is his pass good enough for the next player to play it forward with them then often having to play the ball safe backwards, he's almost redundant in our play. Don't think I've ever witnessed any other player scared of the ball. Watch Davies compared to Gana, play in the same position yet he's constantly getting between the lines and calling for the ball. 

Wasn’t it his forward ball that set up Walcott down the line that got us our second goal?

He has it in his locker obviously, as it was his ball. That’s fact. You choose not to see it, but he plays forward balls all the time, linking defence and attack.

Just so we’re clear, Gana is the black one, Morgan is the other.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

He was his usual self. Davies made a run through the middle and had loads of space, but a forward pass just isn'ttt in Gana's locker. His off ball is terrible as well always goes hiding about 2 yards in the wrong place. 

Biggest compliment players said about Barry was that he always made himself available for the ball. Whereas Gana doesn't want it, like watching a kid play hot potato when he does get the ball as he can't get rid of it fast enough often, and when he doesn't play it safe he often plays a teammate into danger, how often a player loses the ball after receiving it from Gana? Rarely is his pass good enough for the next player to play it forward with them then often having to play the ball safe backwards, he's almost redundant in our play. Don't think I've ever witnessed any other player scared of the ball. Watch Davies compared to Gana, play in the same position yet he's constantly getting between the lines and calling for the ball. 

I really don’t understand how you see it like this. He spends the match backwards and forwards making himself constantly available. People have even put graphs on the forum proving this..... but still it’s argued against. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Wasn’t it his forward ball that set up Walcott down the line that got us our second goal?

He has it in his locker obviously, as it was his ball. That’s fact. You choose not to see it, but he plays forward balls all the time, linking defence and attack.

Just so we’re clear, Gana is the black one, Morgan is the other.

That's giving him a lot of credit, but how many did he make in the game? Probs the only time he carried forward with the ball in their half as well. Something else he doesn't do enough of. 

http://www.evertonfc.com/evertontv/archive/2018/08/18/everton-21-southampton-5-min-highlights

One pass all game hardly makes it a fact. Does the vids of Richarlison scoring on his left defunct any critism for him not being very good on his wrong foot? 

Morgan is the one who can pass the ball.. When he's not being a massive shitbag. I can't be arsed saving the pics to upload but I've done it previously and there is very little forward especially on the oppositions half. His passes are mostly short sideways. Basically doesn't take responsibility and lacks vision. 

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

I agree. Nothing in it but I am playing devils advocate. Although I have seen outfield players sent off for similar things. Jags makes a perfectly good tackle and catches the player on the follow through and its a red. Cech does the same and its fine. Pickford does the same and its fine. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

That's giving him a lot of credit, but how many did he make in the game? Probs the only time he carried forward with the ball in their half as well. Something else he doesn't do enough of. 

http://www.evertonfc.com/evertontv/archive/2018/08/18/everton-21-southampton-5-min-highlights

One pass all game hardly makes it a fact. Does the vids of Richarlison scoring on his left defunct any critism for him not being very good on his wrong foot? 

Morgan is the one who can pass the ball.. When he's not being a massive shitbag. I can't be arsed saving the pics to upload but I've done it previously and there is very little forward especially on the oppositions half. His passes are mostly short sideways. Basically doesn't take responsibility and lacks vision. 

Well one pass does make it a fact really. If he wasn’t capable of it, he wouldn’t be able to make it.

But in a five minute highlight video he made one pass that resulted in a goal. We only scored two goals in the whole match. But that video also shows that Ganas one pass, is more than 75% of the team.

But as you actually watched the match... you also know full well that he made several forward passes that started attacking moves. 

Again, just because you choose to ignore it, doesnt make you right. People saw with their own eyes that he was involved a lot in their final third. Telling them it didn’t happen is.... well I think you know 😉

Edit: just watched the highlights again, a saw him also shoot.... only once, and it was saved.but also noticed he was only one of three to shoot in that video.... which means everyone else should be sold as no ones capable..... the mind boggles haha

Finally watched the whole game and I was really impressed. I dont think you can really fault anyone for their effort and application. The combination of Schneiderlin / Gana / Davies (depending on who was playing) provided a great base both protecting the back 4 and providing a base to attack. At times it looked like the midfield two were attached by string to the two centre halves and they were so disciplined and organised when covering that central area. I thought the midfielders all showed their all round game. They showed they could defend, stay disciplined but also play forward passes, link with the attackers and also keep hold of possession. The only time I held my head in my hands was that last free kick by Gana! 

Keane and Holgate both did very well too, Keane is definitely getting into the right positions more often than he isnt but he does still have that mistake in him at the moment where he just switches off. Holgate has this too but is obviously far less experienced. Hokgate played a couple of nice passes out of defence as well starting the move that Walcott should have buried. 

I also thought the front 4 all did really well but Siggy really stood out for me. He looked to play a little deeper than at Wolves and as a result he was linking up much better and he almost acted as a pivot which turned defence into attack. His set pieces were actually decent as well! 

Also worth a small mention is DCL who I thought looked really sharp. His movement was great and could have had a spectacular assist if Walcott hadnt pinched the ball off Davies toes. 

The one concern is these bastard set pieces. Blaming Davies is comical. Unfortunately the zonal system isnt quite working yet. Its getting better than preseason but its not there yet. I am not a fan of zonal normally but with VAR likely to come into the game sooner or later it will probably be how everyone plays in a few seasons time to avoid all of the shirt grabbing etc that is a big part of man to man marking.

31 minutes ago, Shukes said:

But as you actually watched the match... you also know full well that he made several forward passes that started attacking moves. 

Not even gonna bother with the fact argument. I watched the whole game and he really didn't. Go on the stats and check every game and you'll see how little he actually moves the ball to help dictate play. He's all over the pitch like a mad man but adds nothing going forward. Sideways 5 yard passes. He's a crab.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I agree. Nothing in it but I am playing devils advocate. Although I have seen outfield players sent off for similar things. Jags makes a perfectly good tackle and catches the player on the follow through and its a red. Cech does the same and its fine. Pickford does the same and its fine. 

Perfectly good? It was reckless. The ball was out of his control. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Not even gonna bother with the fact argument. I watched the whole game and he really didn't. Go on the stats and check every game and you'll see how little he actually moves the ball to help dictate play. He's all over the pitch like a mad man but adds nothing going forward. Sideways 5 yard passes. He's a crab.

But I watched the match and he did. The highlights show it that you posted yourself. He even had a shot saved. 

You can say it didn’t happen as much as you like, but it simply did. You can’t erase it, if you watch the highlights again it will still be there. 

Look, you don’t like the player, and dont rate him. That’s fine. But the highlights aren’t lying and superimposing him on other players bodies. 

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

But I watched the match and he did. The highlights show it that you posted yourself. He even had a shot saved. 

You can say it didn’t happen as much as you like, but it simply did. You can’t erase it, if you watch the highlights again it will still be there. 

Look, you don’t like the player, and dont rate him. That’s fine. But the highlights aren’t lying and superimposing him on other players bodies. 

Okay so 1 shot and 1 basic pass shows he's phenomenal going forward. 

Is it asking too much for a footballer to be able to pass the ball, position himself correctly and not be scared to carry it forward. Other than running around I don't see what he adds. 

Just now, pete0 said:

Okay so 1 shot and 1 basic pass shows he's phenomenal going forward. 

Is it asking too much for a footballer to be able to pass the ball, position himself correctly and not be scared to carry it forward. Other than running around I don't see what he adds. 

You do know there was another 90 minutes during that match don’t you? Your stating your stats based on five minutes of highlights.... in that case Cenk has to go, along with most of the team as they also didn’t make any passes in your highlights.

But if you watched the whole match you would have noticed him taking the ball from our defence, turning forward and giving the ball to our forwards.

what about that last five minutes when he took the ball several times in their last third.... yes last third, and drained minutes away from them? 

Your hatred of him clouds your judgement. I don’t like Morgan at all, don’t think he offers anything to the team. But the last few matches I have had to admit, he seems to be playing much better. He is still one of the most boring players I have watched in an Everton shirt as he only plays very simple football. Takes the ball and passes it back safely every time. But.... he’s playing much better this year. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Bailey. I thought DCL looked good when he came on. Looked very strong on the ball as well. I hope he gets some good minutes his year and grabs himself a few goals.

Me too and I think that last line will be all important to him. Even if its coming on at the arse end of games and scoring the 5th or 6th 😉

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Perfectly good? It was reckless. The ball was out of his control. 

Yep great challenge.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

You do know there was another 90 minutes during that match don’t you? Your stating your stats based on five minutes of highlights.... in that case Cenk has to go, along with most of the team as they also didn’t make any passes in your highlights.

But if you watched the whole match you would have noticed him taking the ball from our defence, turning forward and giving the ball to our forwards.

what about that last five minutes when he took the ball several times in their last third.... yes last third, and drained minutes away from them? 

Your hatred of him clouds your judgement. I don’t like Morgan at all, don’t think he offers anything to the team. But the last few matches I have had to admit, he seems to be playing much better. He is still one of the most boring players I have watched in an Everton shirt as he only plays very simple football. Takes the ball and passes it back safely every time. But.... he’s playing much better this year. 

I'm basing it on the whole 90, you're the one referencing 5 mins of highlights. 

Turning forward? I wish. Seriously look at his passes during the game. Barely one forward and very few in the oppositions half. 

In the last 5 mins he completely missed Davies' run. Could have helped put the game to bed. 

My appreciation for football is the reason I don't rate him. I'm happy to change my mind when I'm proven wrong. Cuco was a clown at first but actually was solid enough defensively even though he was playing out of position. Pretty much all the fans laughed at Niasse but now sing his name, for what he lacks in ability he makes up for in effort. Gana doesn't even do that, gets wrong side flues in then just jogs back not arsed about conceding or that he was at fault. He's the least 'Everton' player ever.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Finally watched the whole game and I was really impressed. I dont think you can really fault anyone for their effort and application. The combination of Schneiderlin / Gana / Davies (depending on who was playing) provided a great base both protecting the back 4 and providing a base to attack. At times it looked like the midfield two were attached by string to the two centre halves and they were so disciplined and organised when covering that central area. I thought the midfielders all showed their all round game. They showed they could defend, stay disciplined but also play forward passes, link with the attackers and also keep hold of possession. The only time I held my head in my hands was that last free kick by Gana! 

Keane and Holgate both did very well too, Keane is definitely getting into the right positions more often than he isnt but he does still have that mistake in him at the moment where he just switches off. Holgate has this too but is obviously far less experienced. Hokgate played a couple of nice passes out of defence as well starting the move that Walcott should have buried. 

I also thought the front 4 all did really well but Siggy really stood out for me. He looked to play a little deeper than at Wolves and as a result he was linking up much better and he almost acted as a pivot which turned defence into attack. His set pieces were actually decent as well! 

Also worth a small mention is DCL who I thought looked really sharp. His movement was great and could have had a spectacular assist if Walcott hadnt pinched the ball off Davies toes. 

The one concern is these bastard set pieces. Blaming Davies is comical. Unfortunately the zonal system isnt quite working yet. Its getting better than preseason but its not there yet. I am not a fan of zonal normally but with VAR likely to come into the game sooner or later it will probably be how everyone plays in a few seasons time to avoid all of the shirt grabbing etc that is a big part of man to man marking.

How did you get to watch the whole game, is there a link please?

To watch brilliant streams I use one app on my computer and one source which is always there as Shukes mentioned.

APP: Acestream for Windows based computers or Soda Player for Macbooks. Basic apps, download and install. Paste the link from the source to the related part in the app and it will start buffering. (If you are still having trouble to find the place where to paste the link, youtube is the answer. There are explanatory short videos) I don't know about the UK's average internet bandwidth but any connection above 16mbps will let you enjoy Everton matches in 540/720 or 1080p quality

Source: Reddit. There is a sub-reddit named r/soccerstreams  Google it, find the sub-reddit and bookmark it. Many matches from many leagues are provided everyday.

P.S.: If using app is not possible, there are also web-based stream links in every match thread.

I am not sure if a post like this is allowed here but I tried to explain it without providing any links, if it is still not allowed, please let me know and delete the post. Enjoy! :)

Garth Crooks talking sense for once in his team of the week (until the last sentence).

Jordan Pickford: What a save it was by Jordan Pickford to deny Southampton striker Danny Ings. The Everton goalkeeper struggled to hold an initial shot from Cedric Soares, though it didn't seem too hot to handle, but reacted brilliantly.

Afterwards, Saints boss Mark Hughes insisted the England keeper should have been sent off for his involvement in a 50-50 contest, which he won, though I can't remember Hughes ever pulling out of such a tackle in his long, illustrious career.

I don't know why he would expect Pickford to either. Poor show, Mark. Poor show.

Gylfi Sigurdsson: Gylfi Sigurdsson didn't set the world alight for Everton under Ronald Koeman and Sam Allardyce last season, after a big-money move to Goodison. However, this season - under Marco Silva - he might.

The Iceland international was outstanding against Southampton and, for me, the best player on the park. The position just behind the striker seems to bring the best out of Sigurdsson and, on this occasion, Everton as well.

I just hope Everton fans treat Silva better than they treated Allardyce.