IGNORED

Huddersfield Town (Home) Saturday September 1st

markjazzbassist

2 minutes ago, Sir McGiven said:

That Huddersfield side did nothing but lying on the ground whole game.

It doesn't matter what they do. They will do that in every away game and I bet they still go down. Just shows how poor a side we were

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

Just the usual boring game of football. 

Hate to say, but we missed Gana badly today. Davies just isn’t good enough with the ball to link up we’ll. we’re just so slow turning the ball around. We never looked like scoring in the second half.

Agreed. That baldy lad had him in his pocket the whole game.

Not to defend Cenk as I am Turkish but while I was checking this season's highlights again, I realized something...

First of all, as everyone realized it already, his off the ball performance is perfect. Making correct runs and creating gaps, swapping the role with the wingers to confuse defenders etc. etc. What I realize is, besides this off the ball role of Cenk, he is not the first or even second option to pass. All the crosses go high to the far post, all the through passes goes to wingers or back to Siggy. It is not he is not running, he is running and shows himself for the pass. It is not like nobody likes him in the team, looks like it is vice versa. Which leaves one and only option, Silva doesn't want them to pass the ball to him unless there is no other option. It must be a tactical thing but weird. Checking the highlights again and again, many runs of him going to waste and he is reacting to it.

It is ok as far as someone else scores but when the game is locked, it happened twice this season, you need another plan to score. Think about today, Richarlison is suspended and beside the fact that he scored, DCL was pretty poor on the left side. Walcott is injured and left the pitch. Why don't you pass the ball to him? I am not sure how can I do but I'll cut the parts that I've mention from the highlight if I can for today's game. Lookman twice denied to pass him the ball and has lost the possession afterward.

I mean, @markjazzbassist is right, it is like Martinez era. Silva needs to find a way to deal with it. Honeymoon is over Mr. Silva, wake up.

Be interesting to see what difference Gomes and Bernard make, same problems with lack of creativity as last year. Schneiderlin doesn't even contemplate a forward ball, Davies' passing is poor generally, and Sigurdsson I just don't really get what we spent £45m on, he doesn't seem to have a position and doesn't take games by the scruff of the neck. 

Poor game, especially that second half. It was all very safe and when we tried to take more risk it was the likes of Holgate, DCL and Davies who don't have that type of quality to unpick a defence.

Zouma was the clear highlight, Pickford didn't put a foot wrong all game and then you have a mash up of players who stayed in their shells and players who tried playing in the wrong areas, probably because the players that should have been leading the charge weren't up for the fight. I couldn't say anyone played badly as such but they didnt necessarily play well either. Most players did a bit of good and bad.

Schneiderlin for example was great at breaking attacks and getting on the ball and moving it wide, without trying to play into someone between the lines. Davies was largely good but took a few too many risks in bad positions. He deserves a special mention because I thought his legs and head had gone around the 60 minute mark when he looked on tilt but after the substitutions he sat in and played a lot more controlled. Last season he would have stayed on tilt so that was good to see. He needs to get fitter and stronger though.

Holgate would fit that category as well. He surprised me with some very good defending and then he would do something and be lucky to get away with it. Digne was probably just above average. He played a lovely ball in for the assist and it wasn't his first. He was good defensively too. Even when he was bundled over he was back up on his feet and getting out to the wide man on the ball. I was surprised he came off as I didn't think he was flagging. Coleman was polar opposites depending on whether he was attacking or defending. Defensively he was superb but in attack he stopped pretty much every attack he was involved in. In turn I think that hurt Walcott and Lookman both of which were barely involved apart from one good cross each.

Siggy and Tosun both looked like they weren't far off something happening for them in that first half but it never came however neither were really involved after the break. I am still a little surprised that Siggy was hooked. I wouldn't normally expect a manager to take off their most creative player when you need a goal against a relegation threatened side at home especially when the next creative player is a youngster who has barely had a kick all summer. If you want to go 442 stick him out wide or replace one of the sitting midfielders. DCL was only a threat when he got in the box from crosses, he wasn't playing badly but he wasn't linking up with anyone that well.

I have two question marks now over Silva. One is that zonal marking system and the other is his subs. In the last 3 games he has generally made changes too late or they haven't helped anything. I think he has made a big difference on the pitch, we are far better on the ball and at the back in open play but I just feel there is a lot more to come from these players under him and they are being a little bit hamstrung by his use of the bench and this bastard zonal marking.

We were utter dog turd on toast today. We’ve lobbed 2 points away at Bournemouth and we should have twatted them today they arse shit. Bitterly disappointed. Why can’t we ever just do things right. We can’t get half the new signings fit- Bernard, Mina, Gomes all important players and all are injured it’s fucking crazy. I realise it’ll take time but fuck me- it’s always something isn’t it.

I’m not going to mention zonal marking again after this post but it will cost Silva his job here if he doesn’t change/sort iylt out as we look like conceding from every corner.

On train back from the game. I thought Zouma had a very good game and was a man mountain at the back. He dug Holgate out a number of times. I thought Holgate had an indifferent game. Davies was poor. Too light weight and too many misplaced passes. I thought DCL played very well and looks so much more physical this season. 

My biggest gripe was the ref in that he never got to grip with Huddersfield’s time wasting from the 8th minute. They sat back and we couldn’t break them down. The changes Silva made did nothing to help and actually wouldn’t of been the ones I’d of made. Disappointed to drop 2 points but comforted in that such a negative team who celebrated the point like a Cup final will get relegated.

Sounds like it’s time to move on Aiden.

Weve has a few good performances recently. Today was boring and uninspiring, but let’s not get carried away. We have been ravished with injury’s and suspensions. 

It’s just a little deflating after we have had a bit of optimism floating around.

Shite from start to finish and it's these kind of games we will look back on and think "if only" 

No excuses as we had enough quality out there to beat them today without any problems but most of the lads didn't turn up but considering we've hit a patch of injuries and suspensions of late it can only get better 

Just pissed off we've dropped points against these and should have buried Bournemouth but we'll improve once more of the lads get back upto speed 

Very disappointing today - Zouma was a massive positive and Digne looked good too. I think we really missed Richarlison’s flair today - aside from the goal, I thought DCL was poor - he’s just not a winger. I think we missed Gueye too - makes you appreciate how good he really is when he’s not there - I’d go as far to say that having him there makes us more attacking with the higher press. Davies started okay but seemed to get worse as the game went on - he should have come off for Dowell in my opinion.

Had we got the first goal then it could have been a different story but as it played out it was probably just as Huddersfield planned today - move onto the next one with hopefully a much fitter squad to pick from.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Very disappointing today - Zouma was a massive positive and Digne looked good too. I think we really missed Richarlison’s flair today - aside from the goal, I thought DCL was poor - he’s just not a winger. I think we missed Gueye too - makes you appreciate how good he really is when he’s not there - I’d go as far to say that having him there makes us more attacking with the higher press. Davies started okay but seemed to get worse as the game went on - he should have come off for Dowell in my opinion.

Had we got the first goal then it could have been a different story but as it played out it was probably just as Huddersfield planned today - move onto the next one with hopefully a much fitter squad to pick from.

Agreed with all you’ve said except DCL. I was surprised as to his improved physicality without any loss of speed. IMO he played very well in a position he doesn’t favour. Pressed well with Tosun. 

4 hours ago, c1982 said:

Spot on about richarlison.  We really need flair players and I hope Gomes and Bernard get fit quickly because Walcott is fragile and lookman is still just a prospect.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Poor game, especially that second half. It was all very safe and when we tried to take more risk it was the likes of Holgate, DCL and Davies who don't have that type of quality to unpick a defence.

Zouma was the clear highlight, Pickford didn't put a foot wrong all game and then you have a mash up of players who stayed in their shells and players who tried playing in the wrong areas, probably because the players that should have been leading the charge weren't up for the fight. I couldn't say anyone played badly as such but they didnt necessarily play well either. Most players did a bit of good and bad.

Schneiderlin for example was great at breaking attacks and getting on the ball and moving it wide, without trying to play into someone between the lines. Davies was largely good but took a few too many risks in bad positions. He deserves a special mention because I thought his legs and head had gone around the 60 minute mark when he looked on tilt but after the substitutions he sat in and played a lot more controlled. Last season he would have stayed on tilt so that was good to see. He needs to get fitter and stronger though.

Holgate would fit that category as well. He surprised me with some very good defending and then he would do something and be lucky to get away with it. Digne was probably just above average. He played a lovely ball in for the assist and it wasn't his first. He was good defensively too. Even when he was bundled over he was back up on his feet and getting out to the wide man on the ball. I was surprised he came off as I didn't think he was flagging. Coleman was polar opposites depending on whether he was attacking or defending. Defensively he was superb but in attack he stopped pretty much every attack he was involved in. In turn I think that hurt Walcott and Lookman both of which were barely involved apart from one good cross each.

Siggy and Tosun both looked like they weren't far off something happening for them in that first half but it never came however neither were really involved after the break. I am still a little surprised that Siggy was hooked. I wouldn't normally expect a manager to take off their most creative player when you need a goal against a relegation threatened side at home especially when the next creative player is a youngster who has barely had a kick all summer. If you want to go 442 stick him out wide or replace one of the sitting midfielders. DCL was only a threat when he got in the box from crosses, he wasn't playing badly but he wasn't linking up with anyone that well.

I have two question marks now over Silva. One is that zonal marking system and the other is his subs. In the last 3 games he has generally made changes too late or they haven't helped anything. I think he has made a big difference on the pitch, we are far better on the ball and at the back in open play but I just feel there is a lot more to come from these players under him and they are being a little bit hamstrung by his use of the bench and this bastard zonal marking.

Pretty much spot on, Bailey, and good post. For zonal marking to work you would need players with a lot of confidence that know eachother well.

Overall a poor game with a poor result.

10 hours ago, Aidan said:

Bored of Everton now. Feels like every game that passes by I just fall out of love a little more. Becoming a team who I don't recognise. 

Not sure it’s a good thing or not, but I’m starting to recognise the team and club again after 12-18 months of being disillusioned 

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/09/01/manager-reaction

I was sat there screaming for us to quicken it up. Some of that was out of our control but we could have done better.

I'm not too down about the result, as disappointing as it was. Every side, whether they've got a new manager and system or not, has good and bad games. This was a very bad game from us, no doubt, but they happen and some of the reactions to it (in general, not necessarily on here) have been so over the top

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/09/01/manager-reaction

I was sat there screaming for us to quicken it up. Some of that was out of our control but we could have done better.

I'm not too down about the result, as disappointing as it was. Every side, whether they've got a new manager and system or not, has good and bad games. This was a very bad game from us, no doubt, but they happen and some of the reactions to it (in general, not necessarily on here) have been so over the top

that's good he recognizes it, sadly we don't have the players at the moment with everyone injured.  hoping this international break is a real breakthrough. 

2 hours ago, seve said:

Last weeks petulance by richarleson contributed to us dropping points yesterday and last week he needs to think of the team not his self.

hes as good as me when hes sat in the stand.

A team can’t relie on one player. It was petulant and naive. But it had nothing to do with yesterday. We had 11 players on the pitch who should have been able to beat them.

THEY didn’t perform. Not because Richarlison wasn’t there, but because of their own application.

Silva needs to have a word with Coleman, that's two games on the bounce he has stunk the place out, he is an expert on letting the ball come to him and roll under his foot.

Shocker of a game that though, only Zouma stood out as being any good. Holgate needs to practise his passing, he gave the ball away far too many times.

I knew it wasn't going to be a good day, almost got knocked over going into the ground, told the driver to fuck off, turned out it was Tony Bellew, not the best person to piss off!

Hi 

Bit disappointed that a lot of negativity towards Town ,the way they play and way they celebrate after securing a point Suppose because we are a small club we are supposed to rollover gallantly and let you win ,regarding the way we play yes as Town fans we are not best impressed but realise when we are playing clubs who have one single player who cost more than the whole squad of Town combined then maybe best way to get a point or two is to play to a system .

You were right that Billing and Mooy pretty much controlled midfield and I suppose us having more efforts on target and a similar amount of possession still only counted towards one point ,you should all be disappointed when you have players and such wealth at your disposal that you don't steam roller teams like Town .

Suppose you will finish in top eight once you get all your team off the treatment table so good luck for rest of season 

Thanks for the post. I think most of it for us is frustration due to expectations, although your lot weren’t exactly saints ;) 

if you can scrap like that and take chances then you guys should be ok this season, just need to sort the defence out a bit though. 

Good luck for the rest of the season, except when we come to your patch of course ;)