IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yep really. His worth to Everton football club is not £40m. There are plenty of players who have come into this league that cost far less than that. 

Exactly.

I saw a player that far too regularly spurned really good opportunities. He is young and can develop etc so that isnt me saying he wont improve but he jsnt a £40m player right now. 

This next season will be a big test for him. Teams will know all about him now and he has to step up a level. He may or may not do that. I dont see him going anywhere but so I hope he does rise to the challenge.

His worth to Everton is not £40m and other players come into the league that cost less?

not sure how he’s not worth more than £40m to Everton when we spent £30m on bolassie if that’s the path we are going down. 

We are getting £30m for moise Keane…. You saying he’s only worth £10m more than him with his potential? Nah not having it.

got rough edges to iron out but he’s dynamite and that was visible when you see how opponents set up to face him, see the derby. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

But if we buy Dennis it’s to replace Richarlison. So we would still need to buy someone else. So as well as Dennis who else are we getting with the Richarlison and Gordon money? 

Each transfer carries risk, the more replacements we need to bring in the greater that risk is. 

Well that would still leave us 80m in theory. My point is just that at some point the price we get for a player makes us better than not selling, particularly in our current state. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Yep really. His worth to Everton football club is not £40m. There are plenty of players who have come into this league that cost far less than that. 

Exactly.

I saw a player that far too regularly spurned really good opportunities. He is young and can develop etc so that isnt me saying he wont improve but he jsnt a £40m player right now. 

This next season will be a big test for him. Teams will know all about him now and he has to step up a level. He may or may not do that. I dont see him going anywhere but so I hope he does rise to the challenge.

My thoughts as well. I like Gordon. He has something to him but he does need to keep progressing. Better responsibility defensively, better crossing, better decision making in the final 1/3. That pace and ambition is hard to find and he has it but you need some of the rest as well.

49 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

My thoughts as well. I like Gordon. He has something to him but he does need to keep progressing. Better responsibility defensively, better crossing, better decision making in the final 1/3. That pace and ambition is hard to find and he has it but you need some of the rest as well.

Progressing? He’s gone from getting 20 minutes here and there and being goosed under Carlo to being one of our best players in one season. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Yep really. His worth to Everton football club is not £40m. There are plenty of players who have come into this league that cost far less than that

Exactly.

Name 3.

I saw a player who got into good positions, who created chances, who fired up the team and the fans. I saw a player really progress as the season went on

11 hours ago, StevO said:

We just got £50m for Brazils starting number nine and one of our best players for the last few years. 
We aren’t getting £40m for Gordon. 

Don't be so sure. Richie had 2 years left(?) on his contract otherwise he would've gone for more. Gordon also has the homegrown premium tag too.

Edit: just caught up. Too much of it left me shaking my head, I'm off 👋

12 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Progressing? He’s gone from getting 20 minutes here and there and being goosed under Carlo to being one of our best players in one season. 

Keep progressing is what I said. You didn’t really address anything I said. He has pace and ambition and it was nice to see him carve out a first team role last year. As I mentioned, I like Gordon, always have. But is he a good defender right now for his position? Did he cross the ball well? Was he a good finisher and decision maker in the final 1/3? The answer to all of those, right now, is no. I do think he got worn down by his first full season of this intensity. I’m not saying he can’t get better, I’m just saying he does have to get better. He’s not nearly a 40m player yet, even with his age and the English premium. I don’t expect him to go. I hope we have the same conversation next year as it will mean he had a nice season for us.

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

Name 3.

I saw a player who got into good positions, who created chances, who fired up the team and the fans. I saw a player really progress as the season went on

He’s a pacy and direct winger who does create problems. But let’s be honest, his crossing was awfully poor and most of the time he wasted his chances. He’s a bit of a headless chicken out there at times. Which isn’t terrible at his age. I’d rather see that then a player who lacks the ambition to make something happen. He just needs to learn to make better choices in the key moments. He also needs to continue to get physically stronger. He has time to do that but if he has the same season he did last year I’d start to get a little worried about what his ceiling is. Lot of pacy wingers in the world with little end product. 

The sale of Gordon sends out the wrong message to pretty much everybody - Lampard and his staff, the players, players in our academy, the fans, players we want to sign, and to all the other clubs in the league. 

Spurs and now Newcastle are proper trying to take advantage of our financial situation. They are like vultures around us, we have to keep Gordon and tie him down to a longer term deal to simply show we are not dead yet and there is a still some life left in us as a club. 

His sale would be significantly symbolic for all the wrong reasons. We need to show we have now turned a corner and are now confident we are a club on the right track and on the up. A Gordon sale would look like we are a club who are throwing the towel in. 

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

The sale of Gordon sends out the wrong message to pretty much everybody - Lampard and his staff, the players, players in our academy, the fans, players we want to sign, and to all the other clubs in the league. 

Spurs and now Newcastle are proper trying to take advantage of our financial situation. They are like vultures around us, we have to keep Gordon and tie him down to a longer term deal to simply show we are not dead yet and there is a still some life left in us as a club. 

His sale would be significantly symbolic for all the wrong reasons. We need to show we have now turned a corner and are now confident we are a club on the right track and on the up. A Gordon sale would look like we are a club who are throwing the towel in. 

It would be a complicated one. Gordon is not a 40m player right now. If we got that for him it’s an objectively great price. Maybe in a couple years he is worth that but personally I think he’s 20-25m at the moment. We are still a club in some financial difficulty. That 40m would go a long ways to rectifying that. Assuming the money is spent on players there would be every chance it improves us more than keeping Gordon would.

I do understand the sentiment but the idea is to do what’s best for the longterm future of the club and you could make a very good case that getting something approaching 100m for Richie and Gordon does that. I think it’s harder to see when it’s a hypothetical. If we brought in Dennis and Broja and stuff had 40m to spend now it starts to look a lot different. 

All that said I don’t expect him to go as I don’t expect a club to actually bid 40m for him or us to sell him for less. 

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

It would be a complicated one. Gordon is not a 40m player right now. If we got that for him it’s an objectively great price. Maybe in a couple years he is worth that but personally I think he’s 20-25m at the moment. We are still a club in some financial difficulty. That 40m would go a long ways to rectifying that. Assuming the money is spent on players there would be every chance it improves us more than keeping Gordon would.

I do understand the sentiment but the idea is to do what’s best for the longterm future of the club and you could make a very good case that getting something approaching 100m for Richie and Gordon does that. I think it’s harder to see when it’s a hypothetical. If we brought in Dennis and Broja and stuff had 40m to spend now it starts to look a lot different. 

All that said I don’t expect him to go as I don’t expect a club to actually bid 40m for him or us to sell him for less. 

Spurs and Newcastle are sniffing about because he has the attributes of a seriously good player. They are not going to pay over the odd as don't need to, but they are trying to fuck us while our pants are down. The club just need to make sure we are not humiliated while everybody is watching on. 

14 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Spurs and Newcastle are sniffing about because he has the attributes of a seriously good player. They are not going to pay over the odd as don't need to, but they are trying to fuck us while our pants are down. The club just need to make sure we are not humiliated while everybody is watching on. 

He’s all potential, very little end product right now. He’s attractive because he’s young and English and he has pace with a certain arrogance. But he’s not there defensively yet, he was terrible at crossing the ball last season, and he was very wasteful in the final 1/3. I would like him to stay here and improve on those things for us but if a club wants to pay the price for an excellent premier league winger in the hopes that Gordon can become that one day then I think it would be a good deal for us. A player like Deulofeu was more effective than what Gordon currently is in my opinion. Could beat a man with skill and had a very dangerous cross on him. He’s never even sold for half of the fee speculated on for Gordon. You can get a high quality winger and still have money to spare if you sold Gordon for that amount. I don’t expect he will go and I like his upside I just think don’t think we can turn down a crazy fee. I’m not convinced enough he will get to that level. 

3 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He has great potential which is why clubs are interested. Last season was his breakthrough, under Frank in a settled team he will improve.  

If we sold who would we replace him with?

It would also damage the club which you can't put a price on.

I’m not sure who the available wingers are so I can’t answer that. I think it would only damage the club if people are overly sentimental. I doubt the academy players would care. If you do really well you’ll be given a first team chance and then maybe you’ll get a big money move and become rich in the process. Seems like a decent message. He’s certainly worth more to us than other clubs which is why I’d only sell him for a ridiculous price. To me 40m is pretty ridiculous for what he is now. Particularly given our financial situation. But, as I’ve mentioned, I’d be surprised if we were offered that so it’s moot. 

Just now, London Blue said:

There are certain intangibles in sport, a talented young player inspiring fans and teammates alike is not someone you should be selling. 

How much is that worth though? 2 points a season? 10? I imagine you’d agree that we should take 100m for Gordon. Which means we agree there is a price where his intangibles mean less than what we might do with that money. We are just determining what the number is. 

21 hours ago, Hafnia said:

His worth to Everton is not £40m and other players come into the league that cost less?

not sure how he’s not worth more than £40m to Everton when we spent £30m on bolassie if that’s the path we are going down. 

We are getting £30m for moise Keane…. You saying he’s only worth £10m more than him with his potential? Nah not having it.

got rough edges to iron out but he’s dynamite and that was visible when you see how opponents set up to face him, see the derby. 

We also spent £2m on Gray although I wouldnt use any players we sign as a guide to value! 

The question that Gordon has to answer is whether he can still be dynamite next season. He wasn't really at that level at the end of this season, but no doubt it took its toll on him. 

18 hours ago, London Blue said:

Name 3.

Gray 

Son (£22mil and £10mil the season before that)

Salah (£36.9mil and was half that the transfer before)

Bowen (£18mil)

Raphinha (£16.7m for Leeds)

Mane (under £40m for both his latest transfers)

Do you really need me to go on?

He might go on to be that £40mil plus player in time but at the moment he isn't performing anywhere near that level. 

44 minutes ago, Bailey said:

We also spent £2m on Gray although I wouldnt use any players we sign as a guide to value! 

The question that Gordon has to answer is whether he can still be dynamite next season. He wasn't really at that level at the end of this season, but no doubt it took its toll on him. 

Gray 

Son (£22mil and £10mil the season before that)

Salah (£36.9mil and was half that the transfer before)

Bowen (£18mil)

Raphinha (£16.7m for Leeds)

Mane (under £40m for both his latest transfers)

Do you really need me to go on?

He might go on to be that £40mil plus player in time but at the moment he isn't performing anywhere near that level. 

Grey we have already.

Son, Sahal would cost way more than $40 million. 

Raphinha will go for north of 30 and be on massive wages (something Gordon is not on!!)

Mane was never going to sign for us!!

So yes you can go on a list players we will never sign (or already have...) but you have not listed young talented players with loads of potential we could sign to replace Gordon.

31 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Grey we have already.

Son, Sahal would cost way more than $40 million. 

Raphinha will go for north of 30 and be on massive wages (something Gordon is not on!!)

Mane was never going to sign for us!!

So yes you can go on a list players we will never sign (or already have...) but you have not listed young talented players with loads of potential we could sign to replace Gordon.

These are examples of players that cost less than £40mil when they were signed. 

Are you seriously arguing that there aren't potentially top class players available for £40m? 

I can't give you a list of players values because I don't know them but Erling Haaland just cost City £51m so I am pretty confident there are a lot of players out there that fit the bill. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

These are examples of players that cost less than £40mil when they were signed. 

Are you seriously arguing that there aren't potentially top class players available for £40m? 

I can't give you a list of players values because I don't know them but Erling Haaland just cost City £51m so I am pretty confident there are a lot of players out there that fit the bill. 

Haaland was £51 million because of the clause in his contract.

But anyway, nobody is going to bid enough that we would sell him, which is imho a good thing. We have a squad to rebuild we need to focus on what we don't have as opposed to replacing what we already have.

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

Haaland was £51 million because of the clause in his contract.

But anyway, nobody is going to bid enough that we would sell him, which is imho a good thing. We have a squad to rebuild we need to focus on what we don't have as opposed to replacing what we already have.

Until last month Gavi (at Barca) had a release clause of around £40M. Now he would never ever join us and my position is same as yours in that I don't want us to sell Gordon but Gavi is a few years younger than Gordon and also right up there with the best emerging talents in the world, and arguably already better than Gordon,

My point being, there are multiple players with release clauses in their contracts that make you scratch your head and think "wow that is an awesome deal". Halaand is not an exception in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Until last month Gavi (at Barca) had a release clause of around £40M. Now he would never ever join us and my position is same as yours in that I don't want us to sell Gordon but Gavi is a few years younger than Gordon and also right up there with the best emerging talents in the world, and arguably already better than Gordon,

My point being, there are multiple players with release clauses in their contracts that make you scratch your head and think "wow that is an awesome deal". Halaand is not an exception in my opinion. 

And Gavi’s release clause now? 😂

The Halaand clause is an exception, because players of that level of talent will not often have that kind of clause. He had that so his agent could make a killing moving him on. He’s got more clauses like that at City, just bigger numbers. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

The Halaand clause is an exception, because players of that level of talent will not often have that kind of clause. He had that so his agent could make a killing moving him on. He’s got more clauses like that at City, just bigger numbers. 

£1Billion (well Euro's). Or will be once he actually signs the contract.

20 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Keep progressing is what I said. You didn’t really address anything I said. He has pace and ambition and it was nice to see him carve out a first team role last year. As I mentioned, I like Gordon, always have. But is he a good defender right now for his position? Did he cross the ball well? Was he a good finisher and decision maker in the final 1/3? The answer to all of those, right now, is no. I do think he got worn down by his first full season of this intensity. I’m not saying he can’t get better, I’m just saying he does have to get better. He’s not nearly a 40m player yet, even with his age and the English premium. I don’t expect him to go. I hope we have the same conversation next year as it will mean he had a nice season for us.

Tell me a winger of matching pace, skill, who delivered the things you want from Gordon at least 60% of the games…..  I’ll wait.

the reason I’ll wait is that the role is typically the one that has the least consistency. If you do find a few players please let me know their transfer value and age….

his delivery suffered in the more intense games, adrenaline on set pieces was deffo too high.  His pace increase was significant and it will take time for him to adapt his crossing at increased pace. 

the lad will be in running for young player of the season next year, mark my words. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Tell me a winger of matching pace, skill, who delivered the things you want from Gordon at least 60% of the games…..  I’ll wait.

the reason I’ll wait is that the role is typically the one that has the least consistency. If you do find a few players please let me know their transfer value and age….

his delivery suffered in the more intense games, adrenaline on set pieces was deffo too high.  His pace increase was significant and it will take time for him to adapt his crossing at increased pace. 

the lad will be in running for young player of the season next year, mark my words. 

You seem to be largely agreeing with me. He’s a promising young player no doubt but let’s be objective. Was he wasteful in the final 1/3? Did he cross the ball well? Was he responsible defensively? Right now most of his value comes from what he might be one day, not what he is now. I agree he got worn down by his first season of that intensity but that’s another question mark with him. Can he hold up physically over a full season and deliver consistent performances?

This is mostly moot as he isn’t going to be leaving. He’s just not close to the fantasy 40m number thrown around during this conversation. If he improves in some areas I’ve no doubt we will get some interest for a big number as he’s still going to be young, English and promising. I hope we do.

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

You seem to be largely agreeing with me. He’s a promising young player no doubt but let’s be objective. Was he wasteful in the final 1/3? Did he cross the ball well? Was he responsible defensively? Right now most of his value comes from what he might be one day, not what he is now. I agree he got worn down by his first season of that intensity but that’s another question mark with him. Can he hold up physically over a full season and deliver consistent performances?

This is mostly moot as he isn’t going to be leaving. He’s just not close to the fantasy 40m number thrown around during this conversation. If he improves in some areas I’ve no doubt we will get some interest for a big number as he’s still going to be young, English and promising. I hope we do.

Most players under the age of 23 aren’t bought for what they can do at the time but what they are doing and the potential of what they will do. 

he clearly ticks a lot of boxes on scout reports. 

He plays without fear he’s not afraid to take people on and he doesn’t hide when it gets tough and it’s not going his way, that just makes him try harder. Other teams see that in him which is why his worth is valued so highly, they know with the right mentoring he has the ability to become world class. 

9 hours ago, StevO said:

At the time Halaand was sold, Gavi had a similar release clause so it is comparable. 

All I was saying is that there were other quality players who have release clauses that don't appear to represent their apparent value.