IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Most players under the age of 23 aren’t bought for what they can do at the time but what they are doing and the potential of what they will do. 

he clearly ticks a lot of boxes on scout reports. 

He has some attributes for sure. But someone spending 40m on him is hoping he can make some big improvements in a lot of areas. Most players with Gordon’s skills never get to that level which is why I’d be alright selling him if it’s for such an optimistic price. But I don’t think anyone is actually offering that price right now so this is hypothetical. No doubt if he does make some of those improvements we will have to fend off a lot of interest. Probably why they are trying to smartly lock him down now.

23 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He plays without fear he’s not afraid to take people on and he doesn’t hide when it gets tough and it’s not going his way, that just makes him try harder. Other teams see that in him which is why his worth is valued so highly, they know with the right mentoring he has the ability to become world class. 

I agree but the reality is it’s a very small fraction of players who can become world class that actually do. He needs to show this season that he is more than pace and ambition. Cross a ball, finish a chance cleanly, make good decisions in the final 1/3. I’m not suggesting he’s incapable, just that most prospects (some bigger than Gordon) don’t ever quite figure it out. We have a good former example in Ross Barkley who had all the attributes but didn’t have the head for the game to get the most out of his talent. We have one now in Ali who actually got to that level before his lack of maturity caught up with him. Gordon doesn’t have to be a world beater at his age just yet but he does have to show that improvement. 

33 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I agree but the reality is it’s a very small fraction of players who can become world class that actually do. He needs to show this season that he is more than pace and ambition. Cross a ball, finish a chance cleanly, make good decisions in the final 1/3. I’m not suggesting he’s incapable, just that most prospects (some bigger than Gordon) don’t ever quite figure it out. We have a good former example in Ross Barkley who had all the attributes but didn’t have the head for the game to get the most out of his talent. We have one now in Ali who actually got to that level before his lack of maturity caught up with him. Gordon doesn’t have to be a world beater at his age just yet but he does have to show that improvement. 

I agree about Ross Barkley, the reason he couldn’t work it out was more down to having the IQ of a pea, Gordon seems to have the ability to digest and communicate, his team mates rave about him as a player and a person, I really think he’s got the brains and the temperament to go a long with his undoubted football ability. Next season will be hard for Everton the team I can only see us fighting at the wrong end of the table, and if Gordon stay’s he will once again be a standout player for us and will be most likely be gone by the following season. 

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

£1Billion (well Euro's). Or will be once he actually signs the contract.

I knew that already. I know the release clauses mean shit in Spain really, and they have to have one, but €1,000,000,000 is mental! 😂

As far as I'm concerned, someone like Anthony Gordon is the future of this club. Selling him wouldn't be so much about money as throwing away identity, hope, and any semblance of strategy. Put another way, I wouldn't sell Gordon for a million, billion, trillion, quadrillion, nonillion, googillion pounds plus all the tea in China.

On 07/07/2022 at 23:06, London Blue said:

Haaland was £51 million because of the clause in his contract.

But anyway, nobody is going to bid enough that we would sell him, which is imho a good thing. We have a squad to rebuild we need to focus on what we don't have as opposed to replacing what we already have.

Believe it or not LB there will be other players around the world that have thoses clauses in their contract too. We exercised such a clause with Gray. These things happen regularly.

The second part I wholeheartedly agree with.

19 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Until last month Gavi (at Barca) had a release clause of around £40M. Now he would never ever join us and my position is same as yours in that I don't want us to sell Gordon but Gavi is a few years younger than Gordon and also right up there with the best emerging talents in the world, and arguably already better than Gordon,

My point being, there are multiple players with release clauses in their contracts that make you scratch your head and think "wow that is an awesome deal". Halaand is not an exception in my opinion. 

Perfect example.

7 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

He has some attributes for sure. But someone spending 40m on him is hoping he can make some big improvements in a lot of areas. Most players with Gordon’s skills never get to that level which is why I’d be alright selling him if it’s for such an optimistic price. But I don’t think anyone is actually offering that price right now so this is hypothetical. No doubt if he does make some of those improvements we will have to fend off a lot of interest. Probably why they are trying to smartly lock him down now.

Exactly. He may or may not become the player we hope he will be. I dont see that technical quality in him that will take him to that level and I suspect defenders will learn to deal better with his directness and pace. 

He looked at his best in a counter attacking team when he had space to run at the opposition. Put him in a team like Man Citys (which you do with that price tag at his age) and it is a much, much harder game. 

For all his qualities, Gordon hasn't shown anything like that he can break down a compact defence and take that one chance he gets.

7 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I completely agree again. 

I think a lot of people, potentially rightfully so, get hung up on the fact he is a young, local lad. 

When you break down his attributes you arent looking at the next young bright english talent just yet. That door is definitely still open but it is far from a certainty. 

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

As far as I'm concerned, someone like Anthony Gordon is the future of this club. Selling him wouldn't be so much about money as throwing away identity, hope, and any semblance of strategy. Put another way, I wouldn't sell Gordon for a million, billion, trillion, quadrillion, nonillion, googillion pounds plus all the tea in China.

I’ve learned something from this post I’m pleased your not my financial adviser Steve, I fear you wouldn’t know the right time to sell😉

I'm sure that Lampard rates Gordon highly and wants to keep him just because of that, but I think there's an even bigger reason why he'll be wanting to keep him around despite being tempted if a big bid comes in. He worked very hard to bring the fans together in those final months of the season and selling Gordon would take a sledgehammer to that and I don't think he's going to want to do that when it looks like (at the moment at least) we aren't going to improve the squad much during this transfer window and it'll be another tough season.

I'm not one of those fans that gets attached to players and is gutted when they go, I'd sell them all when it makes sense, and I'd be tempted to cash in on Gordon myself, but I don't think it makes sense right now.

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’ve learned something from this post I’m pleased your not my financial adviser Steve, I fear you wouldn’t know the right time to sell😉

It depends on your goals and priorities. Do you want a quick financial fix that puts your long-term financial health in jeopardy, or are you willing to invest in a future with long-term stability and greater opportunity?

17 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

It depends on your goals and priorities. Do you want a quick financial fix that puts your long-term financial health in jeopardy, or are you willing to invest in a future with long-term stability and greater opportunity?

I think Palfy wants the billions and trillions you spoke about. 😂

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

If you gave me a million or two at 63 years of age next month, I think my goals and priorities would be well catered for, and I’m struggling to see how by taking that my financial health would be at risk, and how many good years am I realistically going to get in the future. Show me the money please 🙏 

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Let's hope he doesn't get injured and try to enjoy his hobbies during his road to match fitness then 

Let’s hope his road to match fitness doesn’t involve power walking round the pitch against man United when in a relegation battle. 

Holy shit! They have been right all along.

Gordon’s poor end of season form was down to his fashion sense. I thought it was burn out… but they have been right and I was blind.

How could I have been so wrong. I mean, we treat everyone the same don’t we. And Gordon’s form dropped at the end of the season so this can’t be a coincidence.

Sometimes you have to be strong and admit to being wrong. And I admit I was wrong.