IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

18 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought Townsend might have been sensible to start given how we wanted to play but it was a mistake as Gordon was electric when he came on. Fair play to the lad, he is getting better and better.

Needs to start every game 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I thought Townsend might have been sensible to start given how we wanted to play but it was a mistake as Gordon was electric when he came on. Fair play to the lad, he is getting better and better.

One of the biggest pluses of the seaaon, some consistently good performances from one of our youngster coming now coming through in the first team. 

19 hours ago, Bill said:

Much better than Townsend and is always looking to go forward. 

I keep making comments on Gray holding onto the ball too long,  I lost count today of how many opportunities he had to cross into the box but tried to beat one more man then lose the chance he is so fooking frustrating.

Gray offers very little unless on the ball and when he’s not assisting or scoring he offers little else. A passenger. We need more from Gray 

2 hours ago, MC11 said:

Gray offers very little unless on the ball and when he’s not assisting or scoring he offers little else. A passenger. We need more from Gray 

I think he does so well to get himself into certain positions, normally as a result of his great close control and speed dribbling, but he is starting to frustrate a little because the end product is slipping. 

He is still by far and away one of our brightest sparks, our only spark under Benitez at times, but the output is starting to drop compared to early in the season.

Whoever comes in to manage the side will need to find that consistency and quality again. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Yeah it's a nice headache to finally have. Does Alli take Gordon's spot against Newcastle if Doms fit though?

If I were Frank, I wouldn't want to mess with the formula from today all that much. Especially with the importance of the match. Throwing in Dele and possibly DVB could upset something that worked quite well today.

50 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Yeah it's a nice headache to finally have. Does Alli take Gordon's spot against Newcastle if Doms fit though?

Think @Matt is right, both are very short on match time.

However... assuming DCL is still out (?) and Alli was definitely starting, I'd be dropping Gray out and shifting Gordon there. 

Don't think Richy and Gray are playing great, team, football together.  Both selfish and doesn't seem to be much love there, yet at least. 

Also think Gordon's form is better than Gray's right now.

13 minutes ago, StevO said:

For me, I’d leave the front three as they are. If he wants to bring Alli into the team then make it a midfield three and go four at the back.  

I’d probably bring de Beek in ahead of Dele and go with a 3.

Lampard often used a diamond in his time at Derby so there’s potential for Allan, Gomes, de Beek and Dele too.

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Something else I like about Gordon is that he's a bit of a shithouse. I don't like that he seems willing to outright dive, he needs to cut that out, but he makes sure he wins plenty of fouls to take the pressure off by maybe overplaying contact at times. He also puts himself about and likes a tackle.

He's not a Sergio Ramos type of shithouse, more Tim Cahill. We need that sort of thing in the side because we are too nice at times.

Incidentally, it was fucking lovely to see us play on yesterday while one of their players was playacting rather than put the ball out yesterday.

That’s one of the reasons I love Richarlison as well, 2 players who have bags of ability but are happy to put in the yards and more than their fair share of the dirty work, I honestly believe you can’t drop either of those 2 to fit Alli in. 
A great position to be in for Lampard but Gordon most be one of the the first on the team sheet until loss of form or injury. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

A great position to be in for Lampard but Gordon most be one of the the first on the team sheet until loss of form or injury. 

When you look at the return for goals and assists this season it'd be naive to put Gordon ahead of those two. But it's a difficult one as he has been one of our best players this season and seems to be enjoying his football.

Lampard will also want to get Alli involved pretty quickly. It won't do much for his confidence if he's on the bench for the next few weeks.

but he is only just about to turn 21, so will develop over the next couple of years to potential become our next Richarlison, and this is what we need quality youngster getting enough football (but not too much) to both contribute now but also develop; that will allow us to cashing in on the like of Richy when the time is right. 

He will get plenty of minutes this season as a mix of starter and impact sub. Don't think we need to worry about him not being in the starting 11 each and every game.

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think Gordon has done really well this season, fully surpassing my expectations.

His next step is to keep progressing. Teams quickly catch on to promising players and pay them more attention. When that happens he will need to raise his game again.

Good point, Todd Cantwell seems to have fallen off a Cliff from his first season in the PL, Gordon does have the advantage of super Frankie managing him though👍

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/14/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-the-weekends-action

Frank Lampard joined the standing ovation for Anthony Gordon when the 20-year-old was substituted towards the end of a precious win over Leeds. A host of Everton players deserved such acclaim – any of Alex Iwobi, Jonjoe Kenny, Donny van de Beek and Richarlison could also have laid claim to the man of the match award – but the blossoming talent, involved in all three goals and in Leeds’ faces from the first whistle, enthralled his supporters and manager. “He can go a really long way in the game and his job now is to keep his head down and keep working,” said Lampard. “But I’ve no worries about that. I can see he wants it.” The feeling is mutual. As Gordon said of his new manager: “I feel the trust he has got in me. He tells me daily. He has surprised me, really, with how good he is tactically. We need to start giving recognition to young English managers such as the gaffer. He is a tactical genius and I am thriving off that. I’m learning from him every day, stuff I hadn’t heard before.”

It is so enjoyable seeing positive news about us after all the negative articles this season.