IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

For me he has a lot more growing to do before he’s ready to stake his place as a serious contender for a position in the squad. 
Not a poor first touch he just doesn’t see what’s around him he’s a defenders dream because he’s so predictable when he receives the ball, which is cut into the middle head down into a blind alley of 2-3 defenders and losing the ball, he needs to read the game and show he has more to offer than just trying to take players on and head towards the goal, because it isn’t working and he very soon become a liability. 
For me it’s not so much the amount of games he plays, he needs to be more expansive in the way he plays regardless of how many games he plays. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He just needs the squad to be in a place whereby fans aren't treating him as some sort of undiscovered gem that Carlo needs to use in order for us to transform.

Our fans aren't the most patient with young homegrown talent so he needs to be a support act who grows with the team rather than become a Tom Davies where he is used as a replacement for expensive misfiring players.... Then because of expected ups and downs he gets lumped with "not good enough" tags. 

I don't know how many fans, at least not on here, think he is something special but I think a fair few realise that those ahead of him haven't been that good either and that as a young lad he needs games. 

Gordon has had 12 months learning under Ancelotti now and he needs to go out somewhere and show what he has learnt. Personally, I think the Championship is his current level and that will hopefully be where he is sent out in Jan.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't know how many fans, at least not on here, think he is something special but I think a fair few realise that those ahead of him haven't been that good either and that as a young lad he needs games. 

Gordon has had 12 months learning under Ancelotti now and he needs to go out somewhere and show what he has learnt. Personally, I think the Championship is his current level and that will hopefully be where he is sent out in Jan.

The expectation that he would play ahead of iwobi and Bernard was the theme when Richarlison was banned.

Top and bottom of it is that he is potentially one for the odd 20 minutes to get up to speed.  

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The expectation that he would play ahead of iwobi and Bernard was the theme when Richarlison was banned.

Top and bottom of it is that he is potentially one for the odd 20 minutes to get up to speed.  

It’s taken Iwobi 18 months to look remotely anything like a player though and he had 3 or so good years experience, I’m not sure why we are writing Gordon off after 1 appearance in horrible conditions. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I think it was hope more than expectation, and I think most of that was because we had been let down by the other two time and time again. 

9 minutes ago, Btay said:

It’s taken Iwobi 18 months to look remotely anything like a player though and he had 3 or so good years experience, I’m not sure why we are writing Gordon off after 1 appearance in horrible conditions. 

I don't think anyone is writing him off. Its more of an acknowledgement that he didn't make the most of his opportunity. 

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think it was hope more than expectation, and I think most of that was because we had been let down by the other two time and time again. 

I don't think anyone is writing him off. Its more of an acknowledgement that he didn't make the most of his opportunity. 

Understand that but I think it’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction mostly. I’ve seen senior pro’s put in far less convincing performances the last few years than that. 

11 hours ago, Btay said:

I'm not writing him off at all... I was the one saying that him being pushed ahead of Bernie and Iwobi and questioning whether Carlo is making the right decisions was because Carlo doesn't trust him yet.

He's 19, probably weighs 10st soaking wet. I've no doubt he will be a very good player.  

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Understand that but I think it’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction mostly. I’ve seen senior pro’s put in far less convincing performances the last few years than that. 

A bit like when has the likes of Gylfi, Schneiderlein, Gomes stink the gaff out but fans pick on Tom Davies.

That's one of my bug bears and that's why I don't want Gordon becoming the next home grown boo boy to join the ranks of Ebbrell, Osman, Barkley, Davies..... 

11 hours ago, Btay said:

No kneejerk reaction from me. It was a tough game for him to play, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was poor and he didn’t make the most of his opportunity. Nothing more, nothing less for me. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No kneejerk reaction from me. It was a tough game for him to play, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was poor and he didn’t make the most of his opportunity. Nothing more, nothing less for me. 

Exactly. 

Plenty of people will comment on the Iwobi's and Bernards with every poor game as well. These guys are fringe players when everyone is fit so every game they get is an opportunity. 

Its fair play to Iwobi that he has eventually made the most of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So we could be letting Bernard, Tosun, Gordon, Kenny, Delph all go with no one coming in... That's a bit worrying because all of those have featured from the bench.

We're going to be extremely thin if it happens.

We could do with losing a bit of weight and getting rid of some fat wages, but I understand where you are coming from I’d keep Bernard and Gordon until the summer and say adios to the rest. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We could do with losing a bit of weight and getting rid of some fat wages, but I understand where you are coming from I’d keep Bernard and Gordon until the summer and say adios to the rest. 

Our squad is already threadbare and pushing us to our limits to cope. I'd just be a bit concerned because, even though they're not good enough for us, they're clearly better than what's behind them and we already struggle to positively impact games from our bench.

I hope they know what they're doing, those making the decisions!

14 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

So we could be letting Bernard, Tosun, Gordon, Kenny, Delph all go with no one coming in... That's a bit worrying because all of those have featured from the bench.

We're going to be extremely thin if it happens.

Who is in for him?!!

Gordon will get a lot more game time now Bernard and Cenk will be gone. 

I also think this is maybe why he has been used a little more sparingly at the front end of the season. 

This next 5 months might be the acid test for him to see if he has the quality for this squad. He had a bit of a run at the end of last season and did OK, maybe needs to show some improvment on these performance 12 months on. 

52 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I also think this is maybe why he has been used a little more sparingly at the front end of the season. 

This next 5 months might be the acid test for him to see if he has the quality for this squad. He had a bit of a run at the end of last season and did OK, maybe needs to show some improvment on these performance 12 months on. 

Unless he leaves on loan as well. Derby want him.

6 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I wouldn't count on it. He wasn't used yesterday after all. 

We will inevitabley get to odd injuries when player will have to miss a game or two, as well as just normal sub appearances, so he will get some game time between now and the end of the season. Who else is there? 

It will be up to Gordon to show he has improved since last season.

I personnal still see him as a youth player with potential rather than a true first player who shouldn't be burdened with expected first team type performance. If good performance happen, it should be considered a bonus.

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

We will inevitabley get to odd injuries when player will have to miss a game or two, as well as just normal sub appearances, so he will get some game time between now and the end of the season. Who else is there? 

It will be up to Gordon to show he has improved since last season.

I personnal still see him as a youth player with potential rather than a true first player who shouldn't be burdened with expected first team type performance. If good performance happen, it should be considered a bonus.

Based on the last couple of games, Carlo will find ways. Digne has played left wing ahead of him on two occasions so maybe we will see one of the two keepers on the bench have a go!

I agree with the last bit though.