IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

Yep, agree with @markjazzbassist and @Aidan

Nerves clearly at play.  Work rate/pressing was likely playing it safe and maintaining position - although the pressing was pretty light on from the whole team.

Holgate & DCL are perfect examples of what 1st team game time can do for player development.  Both were written off by plenty early on. 

Hope Gordon gets plenty more minutes this year, before a full season loan next year.  Skills and nous are there, needs game time and confidence.

21 hours ago, Matt said:

Ok today all things considered. Nothing more, nothing less. 

21 hours ago, Bill said:

We were much better with Bernard on the pitch. Let's be honest this lad did nothing of any note.

These. 

He is bigger than I thought which is good. He has no left foot judged by that one shot but he looks like he can play. He did his defensive work well enough too. 

I'd have liked to have seen him on the right instead of Walcott. The left side of our team is about creativity and the overlap whereas the right is about attacking and being more direct. 

21 hours ago, Aidan said:

He was scared to take a risk today. He's got ability but mentally wasnt prepared to do what he normally does in the u23s. Next time I want to see him play with more creativity. That aside showed a couple of nice touches. 

Yeah he came out of his shell in the last ten minutes and I thought he was hiding a little bit but that’s understandable. He’s used to training with these lads not playing  against first team players at full pelt. The more he plays the better he will become. I’d take him over Omar every game. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Bailey said:

Confident yes, direct yes, quality yet to be confirmed.

This. He's trying things but it doesn't come off a lot. That being said it's nice that we've got someone willing to try anything!

To be honest, I'd have brought him on for DCL yesterday (still not playing well at all) and tried him as a number 10 behind the striker. That is his natural position after all.

I see him as a young, eager to impress lad trying to move the team forward. 
Watch how he takes the ball in to his feet. That’s technical ability right there. The type our seniors struggle with.

He might not be an explosive goalscoring saviour, but he looks a good fit in the team already, without really doing anything.

16 hours ago, Bill said:

Always dribbling forward until he loses the ball. A bit like a kid in the schoolyard. 🍼

I like that.... as much as it can frustrate when it doesn't come off its the beauty of youth.  I want young players to express themselves.

It's only when fans get on their backs like Barkley do they tend to wilt.  

Give them time and support.  Poor Tom Davies was saddled with too much change/expectation etc and it may be the reason he is like he is.  He may have been destined to be this level but I recall a fresh energetic kid who took the ball, ran with it etc.  

Let's hope this manager and team can be a better place for fresh young talent. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s 19, if he’s showing this now and has a good attitude and learns and grows the sky is the limit.  I’m very excited for him and excited for our academy.  It’s been a long time since we had a winger come through that was any good.  

Got to learn to not expect anything of the young lads in the academy Mark. The proof is in the pudding; we’ve won the U23 league a couple of times, but these lads haven’t made it into the first team. 
If one player makes it to the first team every three or four years it would be a great result. 
Barkley and Davies playing so many games for the first team has been excellent. It might be a while before another one does. 
Even with Gordon showing very positive signs, the likelihood he stays in the first team long term are still very slim. 

9 hours ago, Shukes said:

I see him as a young, eager to impress lad trying to move the team forward. 
Watch how he takes the ball in to his feet. That’s technical ability right there. The type our seniors struggle with.

He might not be an explosive goalscoring saviour, but he looks a good fit in the team already, without really doing anything.

I agree his first touch keeps the ball close to him, and everything starts with the first touch. 
But he then needs to build on that when he’s going forward with the ball, when confronted he wants to turn the same way all the time if you watch him which doesn’t take prem players long to work out, that will improve with good coaching and time, the art of taking the ball forward is keep your opponent’s guessing. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s 19, if he’s showing this now and has a good attitude and learns and grows the sky is the limit.  I’m very excited for him and excited for our academy.  It’s been a long time since we had a winger come through that was any good.  

He’s not a winger, so you’ll be waiting a bit longer yet at least. 

32 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Ross Barkley considered himself a striker. Walcott for years at arsenal said he was a center forward.  Yet another reason to trust the manager and not the footballers

Barkley said he was a forward, that’s not necessarily a striker. He played on the right of a front three many times for Koeman. He just didn’t see himself as a midfielder, probably with most of his strengths being attack minded.

Walcott spent most of his youth as a striker, he went to Arsenal hoping to follow in Henry’s footsteps and become a striker there. It just didn’t work out that way and he’s become accustomed to being a winger. 
Probably in a similar way to Gareth Bale always being a left back, before things changed and he got the opportunity to try something different and excelled at it. 

36 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Ross Barkley considered himself a striker. Walcott for years at arsenal said he was a center forward.  Yet another reason to trust the manager and not the footballers

He’s not a winger. Playing out wide does not make him a winger. If you think it does then I really don’t know what else to say. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

StevO has covered the main points but I'll also add that Walcott isn't a winger either.