IGNORED

James Rodríguez

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I would say changing a formation to fit one player, when things seem to be working so far, puts one player ahead of the team.

Different tactics for different games. So far we have hit on the counter. When we have most the ball and dominate possession, first player I want in the team sheet is James.

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

isn't it worrying that he doesn't want james to do a job? Ancelotti said he regretted not changing his formation to bring in Baggio. James is world class, if you can't accommodate that you shouldn't be managing Everton. 

For me James is one of the ones who looks the most arsed. 

We got him for free as he's on mega wages and the manager didn't like him. Before going on a free to us he went for £40m to Monaco and then £70m to Real Madrid. Messi just went on a free.

Messi went on a free because he was out of contract for a contract worth over 25 million a year, slightly different from James going on a free whilst still in contract, the fees he cost go back years to when he was at his best. I don’t find it worrying that Benitez won’t change his tactics or philosophy on how he wants his team to play just so he can encompass one player, surely it’s more worrying when players are unable to adapt to what the managers want from them. I think I’m right in saying that we have had about 40% possession in all our games, we’ve worked hard as a team when not in possession and when we have got possession of the ball we haven’t been negative with it we have attacked in numbers and we look like the more dominant team because we are positive with our possession. That doesn’t work with a player like James yes he would have a contribution when we have the ball but he wouldn’t contribute when we didn’t have the ball and at the moment that’s around 60% of the game and without that 11 men working hard as a unit for 60% of the time it doesn’t work. If he is world class as you and a couple of others keep saying then why haven’t we seen a flood of offers come in for him, surely teams like say Man City Chelsea and Liverpool who dominate possession in their games would be all over him, Christ they can have for peanuts or even free yet no interest why’s that?

3 hours ago, Btay said:

We probably don’t beat liverpool away last year if it’s not for his quality. 

I think more of our problems last year were Caro than James. If he plays 20 games this year and we can get every last bit of quality from him - we get Europe, it’s that simple.

How would you set up our current attackers with James in the team?  Seems like Richie, DCL and Gray have to play at the moment. Does he just share the spot with Iwobi? Do we go 3 at the back to accommodate them both? Genuinely curious how people see our lineup with James in the 11.

9 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

How would you set up our current attackers with James in the team?  Seems like Richie, DCL and Gray have to play at the moment. Does he just share the spot with Iwobi? Do we go 3 at the back to accommodate them both? Genuinely curious how people see our lineup with James in the 11.

Depends on who are playing. Burnley at home Back 5 stay as is.

Allan 

James       Doucoure 

Gray               DCL        Richarlison

Can drop Doucoure back with Allan if need be and have James as a number 10. Gray has looked great, can’t help but feel he would look even better with James feeding him. 

16 minutes ago, Btay said:

Allan 

James       Doucoure 

Can drop Doucoure back with Allan if need be and have James as a number 10. Gray has looked great, can’t help but feel he would look even better with James feeding him. 

Yeah I like James in a free role in the hole there. I guess rotating him and Iwobi would work. Let’s be honest James wouldn’t play or finish every game. 

8 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Yeah I like James in a free role in the hole there. I guess rotating him and Iwobi would work. Let’s be honest James wouldn’t play or finish every game. 

Never going to happen and there’s going to be games that are just not suited to him. I don’t rate Micheal Keane one bit but there’s certain times when I think he’s our best opinion at the back. It’s a great sign that we have had this start without him.

Benitez seems to be getting a bit more out of the players than Carlo - Doucoure is flourishing, Iwobi looks useful. I believe he can use James in the right moments and ultimately I trust his judgement. 

6 minutes ago, Btay said:

Never going to happen and there’s going to be games that are just not suited to him. I don’t rate Micheal Keane one bit but there’s certain times when I think he’s our best opinion at the back. It’s a great sign that we have had this start without him.

Benitez seems to be getting a bit more out of the players than Carlo - Doucoure is flourishing, Iwobi looks useful. I believe he can use James in the right moments and ultimately I trust his judgement. 

I do think he’s putting players in a position to have success. That said, we started well and against better competition last term so we shall see. I don’t love our chances against the top sides if we are going to cede 75% of the possession which seems possible. We aren’t good enough at the back to absorb that kind of pressure game after game. 

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

isn't it worrying that he doesn't want james to do a job? Ancelotti said he regretted not changing his formation to bring in Baggio. James is world class, if you can't accommodate that you shouldn't be managing Everton. 

For me James is one of the ones who looks the most arsed. 

We got him for free as he's on mega wages and the manager didn't like him. Before going on a free to us he went for £40m to Monaco and then £70m to Real Madrid. Messi just went on a free. 

You are talking such rubbish here and just looking at half facts as usual. James was shipped out for free when he was in contract (will be twice if we do it). Messi was free as he his contract run out and Barca fucked up big time. Different types of free. 

Trying to make the arguement that some time ago James sold for £40m and then £70m but Messi move for a free, must thus somehow mean James is better (or simiar level) that Messi is what you might hear in a primary school playground.

James not worthy of being mentioned in the same paragraph as Messi or other truly world best players.

And the reason his manager didn't like him!! It was becasue he Just didn't bring enough of a rounded game to the table. His 'pluses' where not good enough to out weigh the 'negatives'. 

James has been shipped from pillar to post over the past few seasons for free (even though he is in contract) and I am also guessing for ever decreasing wage packets. He is not the world class player you make him out to be, and the footballing world appear to be of a similar opinion.

I am not saying he is shit or usless or anything like that. He is just a luxury player that some managers are just happy to do without - and I get it. 

I would love to see his moments of genius in Everton shirt, but not at overall detrement to the progression of the team under Benitez over the next few seasons. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Pete isn’t saying he’s bigger than the club. 

We’ve played Southampton, Leeds and Brighton. Things aren’t all perfect just yet mate. 

We look far far better as a team than we did last year.   Under Carlo we could have James but there were costs to this when we didn't have the ball. 

The last few games I've seen a solidity, workrate, organisation to us that I've not seen for a long time. 

3 hours ago, Btay said:

Allan 

James       Doucoure 

You are giving great scenarios when we have the ball what’s he do when we don’t have the ball, let me tell you in case you’re in any doubt fuck all the same as last season for 60% of the game, in fact that could increase to 65% or more because we would struggle even more to set up and get it back, let’s drop Doucoure back to suit him ridiculous Doucoure has had the best start to season than most in team with his forward role yet he still gets back to his job in his own half, and you would fuck his game up for a lazy fucker like James, that would be an appalling thing to do and totally destroy the dynamics of the team, what you fail to grasp in your aspirations to get James back in the team is he doesn’t fit he maybe able to ping a ball 40 yards occasionally and thread a ball through now and then, but that doesn’t mean you should be absolved from doing the dirty work in the team, and based on the fact he was guilty of giving the ball away so much you would think he’d put a bit of effort in getting it back. He wouldn’t be in my team that’s for sure unless  he changed his attitude to what he does on the pitch and off it, looks like we could be stuck with him for a few more months because of a lack of interest for a supposedly world class player on a free I’ve never known that in my life before something isn’t right. 

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You are giving great scenarios when we have the ball what’s he do when we don’t have the ball, let me tell you in case you’re in any doubt fuck all the same as last season for 60% of the game, in fact that could increase to 65% or more because we would struggle even more to set up and get it back, let’s drop Doucoure back to suit him ridiculous Doucoure has had the best start to season than most in team with his forward role yet he still gets back to his job in his own half, and you would fuck his game up for a lazy fucker like James, that would be an appalling thing to do and totally destroy the dynamics of the team, what you fail to grasp in your aspirations to get James back in the team is he doesn’t fit he maybe able to ping a ball 40 yards occasionally and thread a ball through now and then, but that doesn’t mean you should be absolved from doing the dirty work in the team, and based on the fact he was guilty of giving the ball away so much you would think he’d put a bit of effort in getting it back. He wouldn’t be in my team that’s for sure unless  he changed his attitude to what he does on the pitch and off it, looks like we could be stuck with him for a few more months because of a lack of interest for a supposedly world class player on a free I’ve never known that in my life before something isn’t right. 

Strong words but spot on.

51 minutes ago, Palfy said:

James probably finds Gray in the box where Doucoure couldn’t get it out of his feet. Love Doucoure and what he brings to the team but technically he is dogshit compared to James. I would play the 2 of them advanced preferably where possible.

You’ve made your opinion perfectly clear you believe he doesn’t fit. I want to see him in a team with the dynamic front 3 we have. Last year we were far to slow with him and Gylfi. 

Edit - For the record, physically James is dogshit compared to Doucoure.

9 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I would say changing a formation to fit one player, when things seem to be working so far, puts one player ahead of the team.

You said bigger than the club, not putting the player ahead of the team. Can only react to what you say mate. 

19 minutes ago, Btay said:

James probably finds Gray in the box where Doucoure couldn’t get it out of his feet. Love Doucoure and what he brings to the team but technically he is dogshit compared to James. I would play the 2 of them advanced preferably where possible.

You’ve made your opinion perfectly clear you believe he doesn’t fit. I want to see him in a team with the dynamic front 3 we have. Last year we were far to slow with him and Gylfi. 

This is what I’ve been thinking. With runners like Grey, Richarlison, Townsend and now Doucoure, I think it could be lethal. Especially at home against teams with ten men behind the ball. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

This is what I’ve been thinking. With runners like Grey, Richarlison, Townsend and now Doucoure, I think it could be lethal. Especially at home against teams with ten men behind the ball. 

Thank you!

Not every game, not every situation.

1 minute ago, Btay said:

Thank you!

Not every game, not every situation.

Exactly. Just need to have options. Yeah, they want rid of him, but if we can’t then he should be used to help the team. 
The likes of Norwich at home. Get him on the pitch, put the game to bed and move on. If we see a bit of magic along the way then brilliant!

41 minutes ago, StevO said:

Exactly. Just need to have options. Yeah, they want rid of him, but if we can’t then he should be used to help the team. 
The likes of Norwich at home. Get him on the pitch, put the game to bed and move on. If we see a bit of magic along the way then brilliant!

yes, he is definitely a very good 'option' in say home games against weaker team like Norwich. However, so called world class players costing £10M a year in wages have to offer more than options in games that we should actually still win without him. 

If we are paying one player world class £10M a year in wages, he needs to be that player who will nick you points against the Top 4 team. James just isn't that player, and is why other clubs are not stampeding to take him off our hands. 

To be honest I have more faith in Rafa than I had in Carlo.

I feel that Rafa is getting more out of our players than Carlo did. I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t do the same with James? 
Him wanting him is another matter. But surely if he is managing it with the current team… there’s no reason he can’t get a little more out of James, Davies, Gordon and a string of others. 

If we sell him we move on. If he stays, then we use him as a different option. If he stays and doesn’t put it in… then I’m sure Rafa will act accordingly.

I see Spurs are having the same trouble with Ndombele.

Seems a lot their fans rate him, but no one is interested in buying him. 
Is it going to be one of those Windows where there is a lot of speculation, then we get no one and keep what we have on the last day?

Just one more, come on Blues!

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

yes, he is definitely a very good 'option' in say home games against weaker team like Norwich. However, so called world class players costing £10M a year in wages have to offer more than options in games that we should actually still win without him. 

If we are paying one player world class £10M a year in wages, he needs to be that player who will nick you points against the Top 4 team. James just isn't that player, and is why other clubs are not stampeding to take him off our hands. 

Why? £10m a year for an option actually sounds reasonable in this day and age. James is exactly the player to pick up points against top 4 teams, he's already proven that. 

paying players £200k a week and who are only providing 'options' against weak teams sounds like a recipe for disaster for a club in our financial situation.

Not sure we are in a position to be paying that much to players form the heartbeat of the team yet. 

I also don't think he is the 'proven' match winner or the player that makes the difference against top 4 teams, he is equally a liability and the weak link in such games. 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I just think many fans like having a classy marquee big name player who can entertain and provide wow moments.

I get that.   But ultimately he represents much of what has been wrong at our club for a while.  Sporadic appearances, big money, all justified by bouts of magic Vs consistency. 

I would agree there Haf. I honestly would love to see him play just once. First match is Burnley for me…. So looks like I’ll miss out.

It would have been interesting to see what Rafa could have done with him though. But I’m happy either way if that’s what the club wants.

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I just think many fans like having a classy marquee big name player who can entertain and provide wow moments.

I get that.   But ultimately he represents much of what has been wrong at our club for a while.  Sporadic appearances, big money, all justified by bouts of magic Vs consistency. 

exactly this, its style over substance. I have loved seeing him craft a pass, but all round the package as a whole isn't enough for me given the wages. Need to underline this Ancelotti/James chapter and move on with Benitez at the helm with his more balanced apprach.