IGNORED

Everton Line-up 2020-21 (predictions)...

Matt

Assuming the other 2 signings come in, I think we're looking at something like this;

Pickford

Coleman Keane Holgate Digne

Allan

Gomes        Doucouré

James      DCL      Richarlison

That instantly looks so much better. Kean to get more chances up top, Bernard, Gorden and Iwobi offering more central (or wider if needed) creative options, even Gylfi if he can concentrate on the more advanced central positions that seem to get the best out of him. Gbamin to come back, Mina and Brathwaite as CB options... I'll be happy with the window if we get these 3 in and they all click. Apart from a new LB, I'd say a keeper, CB and RB are all nice to haves, and could be addressed in January

On the podcast about Rodríguez they mentioned that he played in more of a 4231 in one of those positions where he could drop into midfield.

He also seemed to have played from the right which surprised me. He is known to not really chip in defensively so maybe it would be a good thing having Coleman behind him. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

On the podcast about Rodríguez they mentioned that he played in more of a 4231 in one of those positions where he could drop into midfield.

He also seemed to have played from the right which surprised me. He is known to not really chip in defensively so maybe it would be a good thing having Coleman behind him. 

Pickford. 

Coleman.  Holgate.   Keane.  Digne. 

Walcott.    Doucouré.  Allan.  Rodriguez

Richarlison.   DCL. 

Lots more options which is good. 442, 433 or even 4231. 

Pickford

Kenny   Holgate Mina  Digne

Doucoure  Allan

Walcott*   Rodriguez   Richarlison

DCL 

*Can swap in Gomes, Iwobi, Siggy, Bernard and move Rodriguez to the right.  

Looking at the weaknesses and strengths in the squad my guess would be a 442 diamond against 'inferior' teams- especially if we sign a new RB who could provide more width. DCL and Richy are more than capable helping out by running the channels, and James to have the free role behind those two drifting wherever he really wants to. This line up probably features all of our strongest players and compensates the lack of talent we have in wide areas:

Pickford

Coleman   Keane    Holgate   Digne

Allan

Gomes              Doucoure

James

DCL        Richy

Failing this, my second guess would be a 433 with two inside forwards, which James and Richarlison are more than capable of playing. The big confusion comes with fitting Gomes into the squad, as Doucoure and Allan have obviously not been signed to be part players.  I'm not too sure Carlo would want to play this formation as he prefers the 442 and I don't believe he would go out of his way to implement a 433 without good reason (such as Ronaldo at Real Madrid, Carlo was almost forced to do it in this instance as Ronaldo did not want to play centrally and Carlo did not want to upset him):

Pickford

Coleman   Keane    Holgate   Digne

Allan

Gomes       Doucoure

James                                       Richy

DCL

Against the 'bigger' teams possibly a 442 which offers more width. This formation would allow us to focus counter attacks down the left hand side with the quality being obviously more superior to the right: 

Pickford

Coleman  Keane   Holgate  Digne

Walcott  Allan   Doucoure   James

DCL    Richarlison

Going out on a whim he could even go back to his roots at AC Milan and play the famous 'Christmas tree' formation which was invented by mistake - I'm not sure Gomes is quite capable of being the creative deep playmaker which Pirlo was in a system such as this - however Allan would fit perfectly into this system as would Doucoure. The formation would arguably be more suitable with Richarlison leading the line and a Bernard or Iwobi type player in place of DCL: 

Pickford

Coleman  Keane   Holgate  Digne

Allan Gomes Doucoure

James Richarlison

DCL

All these formations are of course presuming James has not been signed to play in central midfield, which is also a possibility. He would be comfortable playing absolutely anywhere in midfield, but if you asked him my guess is he'd say he wants to play at no. 10.  

How did people interpret how we set up today? 

For me Siggy was the deep, most central midfielder. Gordon was then the one that would sit alongside but also join attacks, from the right of Siggy. Bernard started playing slightly from the left but also centrally (ie not wide left) with Richarlison playing a combination of wide left and inside forward. I felt like Bernard's position changed later in the game and he played more advanced but also more centrally.

It felt a very asymmetrical 433 where the interplay was focused down the left (Bernard, Richarlison, Nkounkou) and the direct threat was focused down the centre right (DCL / Walcott - even Kenny and John both had shots).

54 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Hard to judge as it was mainly reserve plates. So many on international duty, it was more a run around for fringe players.

You say that but there were plenty legitimate starters, aside from those just signed or expected to. 

Holgate, Kenny, Siggy, Bernard, Walcott, Richarlison, DCL. 

Gordon started games last season too. 

It is only really the left back, keeper and a centre back that you couldn't realistically believe might start at Spurs. 

On 05/09/2020 at 14:03, Aidan said:

I thought this, but he works really hard off the ball and will surprise a lot of people. He's very much a team player. 

Assuming that is the case we have to ask ourselves if that’s how we want to use him. Personally, I’d prefer he be given a free role in a #10 type role with little defensive responsibility. When people says he’s a player to “build a team around” I interpret it as putting him in a position to be at his absolute best and structuring the rest of our midfield around that goal.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Assuming that is the case we have to ask ourselves if that’s how we want to use him. Personally, I’d prefer he be given a free role in a #10 type role with little defensive responsibility. When people says he’s a player to “build a team around” I interpret it as putting him in a position to be at his absolute best and structuring the rest of our midfield around that goal.

He does a lot of his best work coming inside from a wide position. 
As we currently have two strikers who score goals it might suit the team as a whole for him to play out wide with the license to drift inside if he wants to. 

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

He does a lot of his best work coming inside from a wide position. 
As we currently have two strikers who score goals it might suit the team as a whole for him to play out wide with the license to drift inside if he wants to. 

We shall see. I saw a podcast with a Real Madrid media guy who said that while he can play outside because of his ability to cross the ball he thinks he is better suited to a central role due to his lack of pace. Professor Ancelotti surely knows best.

Its going to be an interesting season. Kenny and Coleman to battle it out for RB, id like to see Kenny start however. CB still has question marks over it but with the new midfield i would expect them have less work to do this year and look alot better for it, i still like Mina and Holgate. 

I think our best team right now is

Pickford

Kenny      Holgate     Mina      Digne

Allan

Gomes           Doucoure

James              DCL          Richarlison

Subs (Covid) - Lossl, Keane, Nkounkou, Coleman, Sigurdsson, Gordon, Bernard, Iwobi, Kean

Subs (7man) - Lossl, Keane, Coleman, Sigurdsson, Gordon, Bernard, Kean

We've got a serious few players to move on here still. Walcott, Bolasie, Sandro, Delph, Davies (loan), Tosun, Besic cant get a look in at all. Even with a 9 man bench....

If we’re trying to jam our best players into some sort of workable formation:

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Keane Digne

Doucoure Gomes Allan

James

DCL      Richarlison

I think ideally we’d actually manage to sign a half decent right winger, drop Gomes and play 4-3-3, but you can’t have everything. 

14 hours ago, Vranny said:

Pickford

Doucoure Gomes Allan

James

DCL      Richarlison

I agree with this formation, James will play centrally, and as we have no decent wingers and dont look like we will sign any then 442 seems nonsensical. 

With 3 in midfield the full backs can add width. 

15 hours ago, Vranny said:

Pickford

Doucoure Gomes Allan

James

DCL      Richarlison

I think ideally we’d actually manage to sign a half decent right winger, drop Gomes and play 4-3-3, but you can’t have everything. 

I prefer the diamond midfield with Allan at the bottom but I agree on the personnel. Let’s hope the players show better spacing than you did here though..jk :)

10 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I agree with this formation, James will play centrally, and as we have no decent wingers and dont look like we will sign any then 442 seems nonsensical. 

With 3 in midfield the full backs can add width. 

What makes you so convinced James will play centrally? 
He’s played in a wide midfield position many times for Carlo in the past. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

For me it’s because he can receive the ball well, turn and push. If the wide players push up in time, he’s got 4 options (ideally). I still prefer my initial proposition though. 

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

For me it’s because he can receive the ball well, turn and push. If the wide players push up in time, he’s got 4 options (ideally). I still prefer my initial proposition though. 

I get that he has all those skills in his make up, but we know Carlo likes a 442 and he likes James in the wide position in the 442. 
I don’t see why he wouldn’t stick with that when it’s worked for him in the past. 
Even in his book he talks about the only time he changed his philosophy and played with a number 10 it was because he had a ridiculous talent in Zidane.
He even sold Zola because he didn’t use him as he didn’t play a number 10, and we know how good Zola was. 
I don’t see why he would bring him in and not use him how he has in the past. 
Id like to see him play as a 10 for us, but I don’t see it happening very often. 

Your initial line up is what I would prefer too. 

34 minutes ago, StevO said:

I get that he has all those skills in his make up, but we know Carlo likes a 442 and he likes James in the wide position in the 442. 
I don’t see why he wouldn’t stick with that when it’s worked for him in the past. 
Even in his book he talks about the only time he changed his philosophy and played with a number 10 it was because he had a ridiculous talent in Zidane.
He even sold Zola because he didn’t use him as he didn’t play a number 10, and we know how good Zola was. 
I don’t see why he would bring him in and not use him how he has in the past. 
Id like to see him play as a 10 for us, but I don’t see it happening very often. 

Your initial line up is what I would prefer too. 

He also likes fluidity. Zola and Zidane were decades ago, if he’s still that set in his mind then we’ve got a more successful Martinez on our hands.

I think he’ll adapt though, he won’t stick to 442, though I’m sure that’s what he’ll expect when we’re being outplayed. In which case, we’ve got the players now to fall into that role. I just think that he’ll be cautious initially as the new lads bed in, and as soon as he sees them doing that, he’ll be more attacking simply because he can. 

The other point about James playing as a 10 is can teams afford to play a 10 any more? How many other successful sides play a playmaking 10? 

Maddison played a bit there for Leicester but most of the time he played deeper or wide. 

Fernandes at Utd does but he does chip in all over the pitch as well. He certainly doesn't shirk his responsibility.

That is about all I can think of. 

If James plays 10, I don't see him doing much defensive work (based on reports, not what I have seen). I also don't know whether that is better from a player at 10 or as a wide player. If we dominate possession it won't be too much of a problem, if we don't it will be. 

I can't wait to see how Ancelotti puts it all together. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Becuase he said his best position is central, he lacks the pace to be a full on winger, although he can beat a man and cross, he can be effective there. But if he is very good on the wing or world class centrally, I imagine he will play centrally. 

From the research I have done (30 mins worth) he playedvhis best centrally. 

If Carlo has given the nod for three signings to come in and walk into our first team there is no way that he will not be planning to fit them into a 442. Hes a 442 manager and although he can change and adapt to different formations game to game, he will primarily play 442 and i doubt very much that that he will stray far from his favoured formation this season. 

The only time he has strayed from 442 long term is to accommodate world class players who are already established at a club he's taken over as manager. 

12 minutes ago, London Blue said:

From the research I have done (30 mins worth) he playedvhis best centrally

I might be wrong, but his two best spells at any club have come under Carlo (1st season at Real Madrid and 1st season at Bayern), who played him in the wide position.