IGNORED

What are our Realistic Expectations for 2020/21?

RuffRob

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'll reiterate Top Four. Let's keep things in perspective, though: We're four games into the season, and the only top six team we've played is Spurs. The derby will give us a much better sense of where we're at.

Yeah, if we don't score 8 and concede more than 2 we need to worry about Villa.

• MikeO changed the title to What are our Realistic Expectations for 2020/21?
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Matt said:

9 points even when we’re not playing 100% and missing 3-4 key players will do me

We weren't playing well before that and if anything the changes have helped us. I am not sure how much we will improve as a team when they come back. 

Sure they will improve us in certain ways such as ball retention or attacking quality but then we will lose our defensive resolution. 

Hopefully we can still be sound at the back and have more quality going forward when we do get everyone back but I'm not convinced just yet. 

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

We weren't playing well before that and if anything the changes have helped us. I am not sure how much we will improve as a team when they come back. 

Sure they will improve us in certain ways such as ball retention or attacking quality but then we will lose our defensive resolution. 

Hopefully we can still be sound at the back and have more quality going forward when we do get everyone back but I'm not convinced just yet. 

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by not making a mark?

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Though we did win our first six matches with those guys in the team, and that is a major factor as to why we are where we are.

Proof that our squad is improving and not just our first team.

36 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Let’s just keep playing like we are thinking only of the next game and see where that takes us, who knows we could be pleasantly surprised by the end of the season. 

Exactly this. In a season of inconsistent teams we just need to keep picking up regular points and we will be in and around the 4.

Id love to see 2/3 players in January though and really go for it.

1 minute ago, Btay said:

Exactly this. In a season of inconsistent teams we just need to keep picking up regular points and we will be in and around the 4.

The players we need even if they are just good squad players, with just 4 injuries our squad in real terms is at breaking point. 

14 hours ago, Matt said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by not making a mark?

When I mean making a mark, I mean winning a cup or making top 4. We are in the position to do it but I'm just not sure we are consistent enough to do it. 

That sounds a bit silly when we have just played 3 games in the same fashion, picked up 9 points and stopped most shots on target, but I still think back to the baron run before and how poor we were. 

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Though we did win our first six matches with those guys in the team, and that is a major factor as to why we are where we are.

Proof that our squad is improving and not just our first team.

Very true but there was plenty of ups and downs in those first games which showed in the games that followed. 

I think that those two sides aren't completely compatible. If James plays, we lose some of our solidity but we gain creativity. Similar comments apply to Coleman and Digne too. If we can strike the right balance, we can go far but I haven't seen that balance yet. 

7 hours ago, Btay said:

This completely! Part of me thinks that if we keep playing the way we are, we will see more sides make more mistakes and drop points than we will.