IGNORED

Southampton (Away) Sunday October 25th

markjazzbassist

Fair play to Godfrey for stepping in at rb but that can’t happen again. Complete disaster. 

requires cover as he’s not athletic enough to mark wingers. The cover was Allan cuz James can’t do it. The entire team is unbalanced at that point, and it happened all the time as Southampton is well-coaches. You can man-mark James all game with no threat of Godfrey getting forward. That allows them to keep their shape all game and we can never get numbers advantage on the left where we can be lethal. 

Bad day at the office. We’re still top of the table!!

Hopefully Kenny is fit for Newcastle (if not play Davies or Delph there) and Digne gets his red overturned (unlikely). 

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Iwobi wasn’t on the left he was in for Richarlison as 2nd striker. It’s usually Gomes and today it was Siggy. Who was shit too for most of the game. 

It'll have shown Carlo (not that I think he doesn't already know really) that we don't have much beyond a first 11. I'll be expecting 1 or 2 signings in January, and the same again in the summer.

53 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Iwobi wasn’t on the left he was in for Richarlison as 2nd striker. It’s usually Gomes and today it was Siggy. Who was shit too for most of the game. 

That’s where he went wrong then, he was on the left definitely. The manager might not have put him there, but he was hugging that line like it was his mommy’s nipple!

"He was frustrated, it's late, it's naughty," said former England winger Karen Carney on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He's basically got his right foot and gone down the back of Walker-Peters' ankle and for me that is a red card.

"I don't think he meant it but it was dangerous and that could have caused issues. It's the right decision."

She's just made herself sound like an idiot. The first line says he did mean it and then she ends by saying he didn't mean it.

It's clear to me that it was just an accidental thing and that he wasn't making a challenge at all - he doesn't change his stride or lunge, it's just a natural run and I have no idea how that went to VAR and still gave a red card.

I can't see it being rescinded though, not after all the Pickford 'controversy'.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

She's just made herself sound like an idiot. The first line says he did mean it and then she ends by saying he didn't mean it.

It's clear to me that it was just an accidental thing and that he wasn't making a challenge at all - he doesn't change his stride or lunge, it's just a natural run and I have no idea how that went to VAR and still gave a red card.

I can't see it being rescinded though, not after all the Pickford 'controversy'.

If she was a he the comments would have included t**t not idiot.

I have just watched some of the highlights back. They can be found here for anyone brave enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP6zsWjzbrk

I thought it might be worth mentioning a few things:

1. In the chance where Gylfi hits the bar, the movement from DCL is more like a wide receiver than a footballer. Show that clip to young strikers and let them learn.

2. Their first goal gets worse the more you watch it. We had 5 players marking 4 and we couldn't stop two of them combining for the goal. Both JWP and Ings have so much time and space in a congested area. No-one gets tight. Allan tries but then gets taken out of the game by the flick and Keane is so far off Ings its criminal. Digne tries to get back but can't. It is poor team play but it really is shocking from Keane. It should have been tighter to start, then he could have more aggressively closed Ings down and then he gets nutmegged by the pass.

3. We don't see how the second goal starts but Ings has loads of space down our right hand side. Mina is closest but they have a 2 v 1 on the back post. In fairness to him, Siggy is the only one who sees this as the rest are ball watching. Mina closes into Ings and slows him down which is textbook defending. Slowing an attack is as good as making a tackle. Godfrey was caught high up the pitch and is making his way back but for some reason he tries to also chase down Ings. If he slots back in at CB, Keane pushes towards Digne and then Digne doesn't have to come as far inside and stops the 2 v 1 issue. Bar a quality ball its problem solved. Instead he goes after the ball and Mina backs off as a result. The rest are all still ball watching. Godfrey doesn't make the tackle and instead forces Ings into a crossing position and effectively speeds up the counter attack. It is naive defending at best in my book. The back line at this point is now a big mess. Keane hasn't got back in fully, Digne has come to the front post to defend as a result, Siggy is playing LB but he just looks away as the ball is crossed. As a result he gets caught under the ball where they still have a 2 v 1 because every other idiot is ball watching... STILL!

I would confidently say that if Mina closes Ings and Godfrey and Keane then get back in properly as CB's, that goal isn't scored. I would also say that if more than 1 person in that whole move took a second to not look at the ball then they may have also been able to do something that could have stopped the chance or made it harder to score from. Just bear in mind that Adams, who appeared to have played the ball to Ings at the start of the video, was touch tight with Keane before falling to the ground and then getting himself into a position to score the goal. Allan was looking right at him when he was on the ground. Doucoure runs past him and towards the ball as Adams is getting in position towards the back post. It's a really bad goal to concede again.

The rest of the highlights are Digne being sent off, which shows you how good the second half was!