IGNORED

Southampton (Away) Sunday October 25th

markjazzbassist

Had a kick at him, sprinted after him and instead of working the side, ran straight Into to the back of him. Ref was always going to send him off. 

Defence is our biggest problem again. We’re always going to give goals away. Forwards must love playing on the edge of our area, they get time to control the ball, look up and make a decision. Add to that our lack of creativity today.

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Had a kick at him, sprinted after him and instead of working the side, ran straight Into to the back of him. Ref was always going to send him off. 

Defence is our biggest problem again. We’re always going to give goals away. Forwards must love playing on the edge of our area, they get time to control the ball, look up and make a decision. Add to that our lack of creativity today.

Just don’t think it’s a straight red.

This has been as bad as anything we watched under Silva.

No cohesion or tempo to speak of. We've played at walking pace from the off and had no idea what to do on the ball. No protection from the midfield with Allan being particularly bad - the game looked far too quick for him.

We didn't get anyone up supporting Dom so he's been completely out of the game.

Godfrey is solid enough but we needed someone that could go forward.

James hasn't looked fit and playing him has backfired on us.

Iwoeful is utter shite. No idea how anyone can rate him - he's a more expensive Bolasie but without the attempted tricks.

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

I really do t get it. His only strength is that he is tricky, but he seems to be scared to use it.

The only point of having him on the pitch is to take the player on.  But he just pulls up turns around and passes back nearly every time.  He has a heart, brain and lungs the size of a pea.

Just now, Shukes said:

Terrible performance. Only player I would say did anything was Keane. He played to the final whistle.

Thought he and Mina were terrible. Not once did they win a tackle when they stepped out of the line. Whole team has been shit. Should have played Gordon from the start over Iwobi.

Whats worrying is thats 2 games on the trot we have been poor, we got away with one but not today

Plus side still top, but very flat very slow in the build up, time for Carlo to earn his corn.

Next match with 2 regulars missing, subs were poor, never had an influence, as for Iwobi time to unload in January.

But i trust the management to sort it.

I did think without Coleman and Kenny, it may have been worth changing to 3 at the back and maybe playing Davies there with Godfrey as his protection. Missing Coleman/Kenny and Richarlison completely messed with the balance of what’s worked on both flanks - I think if only 1 flank had been disrupted, we’d have probably been okay but that was very poor today and plenty to work on before Newcastle. Credit to Southampton, they tactically suffocated us and looked very handy themselves on the break. They’ve got a very good manager so fair play to them for being patient with him.

43 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Not just Iwobi, it’s whoever plays on the left. Bernard has been awful too. Position is cursed.

I'd say all of our wide players today were dreadful and if anything, Iwobi was probably the best of the bunch in the end.

38 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Terrible performance. Only player I would say did anything was Keane. He played to the final whistle.

I thought Keane gave Adams a really easy time. He stood off him and only started getting tight again when he went off and he was playing up against a young lad. It was one of them that reminded me of his previous 2 years at the club where he hid away from confrontation. 

36 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I did think without Coleman and Kenny, it may have been worth changing to 3 at the back and maybe playing Davies there with Godfrey as his protection. Missing Coleman/Kenny and Richarlison completely messed with the balance of what’s worked on both flanks - I think if only 1 flank had been disrupted, we’d have probably been okay but that was very poor today and plenty to work on before Newcastle. Credit to Southampton, they tactically suffocated us and looked very handy themselves on the break. They’ve got a very good manager so fair play to them for being patient with him.

agree with all this.

Thought Southampton played really well to be honest . We where unable to get into any sort of rhythm going in the game. They really took advantage of us being without a recognised right back. 

they just grew in confidence after they scored. In the end, glad we didn't concede more than 2 goals.

the players that got their chance today, didn't really step up to the plate. 

lets hope this was just a blip. 

The attribute I most value in sports is relentlessness.  It’s both a physical and mental attribute.  Players and teams that display relentlessness are constantly moving while thinking.  They anticipate, and so are consistently a step ahead of the opposition.  They appear, and often literally are, quicker and much more energetic than the opponent.  They act with purpose and controlled fierceness.

Football is a running, passing, strategic and tactical thinking game.  A team with slightly inferior talent can outshine a more talented team, especially when the talent difference is small.

When my team looks lazy, is thinking and moving lethargically rather than energetically, I am somewhere between dispirited and outraged.  I guess about midway between those two feelings today.

A lot went wrong today and Southampton are a good side. They work hard and they play well in their system. We weren't at it and we got beaten comfortably but I also don't think Carlo set the team up right for this one and then he was too slow to make changes. 

It was clear from an early stage that they were finding loads of joy between midfield and defence. They were turning us over, and hitting us in those spaces and could have scored two before they did score. Poor Allan was completely overrun. He tried is ass off though. We needed Doucoure to sit in alongside Allan and play more conservatively. It was like we hadn't done our home work or were complacent in thinking we would beat them anyway. It was no surprise that changing Iwobi didn't improve our performance, and he was scapegoated a little for me, and it also wasn't a surprise that we did improve when Delph and Allan played alongside each other. Unfortunately it wasn't long after that when Digne got sent off and we were done. It also didn't help that James decided he was too injured to do anything shortly afterwards either. 

The player I feel most sorry for is Godfrey. He got very little help from James. The midfield were caught too high up the pitch to cover for James as they normally do and then he showed without any doubt he isnt a full back. He isn't consistent enough on the ball with his passing or his decision making and likewise he didn't show that he was a particularly good defender either. For a quick and strong guy he was beaten time and time again down the outside. All the talk was about how well we had prepared but its safe to say whatever they did in training didn't work! 

Of the rest, I don't think anyone came out with credit. The biggest bonus being Pickford didn't make a big gaffe. Mina did well most of the game but then started coming out of the line and not winning the ball, Keane turned into the timid player he was last season and Digne wasn't at his best either before being sent off. 

Allan had no chance, Doucoure was constantly caught out by the turnovers and Siggy started well but when Southampton started winning he faded into the background. Delph did well when he came on. 

None of the wide players did well either. Iwobi had moments of good play and terrible play and James had his moments but gave the ball away too often and gave Godfrey little support. Bernard was as crap as those two out wide, but at least looked lively in the middle and Gordon showed glimpses but cut a very frustrated figure which I was a little shocked about for a sub playing for his career. I expected him to show a bit more energy off the ball.

DCL had very little to work with but bar one good tussle early on, he was handled with ease by the Southampton defenders and then when he did get a touch, he made some very average decisions or touches. He was another player that fell into the "feel sorry for" camp. 

I think Southampton will take plenty of points off teams this season and if he don't sharpen up then and they stay injury free then they could finish the season above us. I would also be going out to by Ings this summer. He has everything and always found himself in space for the ball today. He has such great feet too.