IGNORED

Newcastle (Away) Sunday November 1st

markjazzbassist

That game pretty much went as I expected with our 4 most creative players out. Newcastle pretty luck with that penalty and that was about the difference between the team.

Think Ancelotti missed a trick not starting either Iwobi or Bernard in this one ahead of Gomes, to at least have one player who would has run at Newcastle a bit.

not going to get to disheartened as we would have battered them with two or three of our regular starters on the pitch.

Carlo has received a lot of plaudits for how we have played recently but that loss is on him. Poor starting 11 and some late and delayed tactical changes. Its no surprise our goal came from the one attacking wide player, playing as an attacking wide player. 

Its a big bug bear of mine seeing full backs forced into unnatural attacking positions. The skill of an attacking full back is moving into space at the right movement so seeing Kenny and Niels wasted by playing as wingers and being marked out of the game, and then seeing that happen for about 60 mins boggles my mind a little. 

Olsen looked very solid. One good save you would expect and another world class stop. Nothing he could do about the goals either. Pleasantly surprised by his distribution too.

In the end both Keane and Mina were poor, they both had really sloppy moments. Mina's cost us a goal but Keane's could have too. The two full backs deserve another chance in my opinion. 

Allan played well, Doucoure played better once he was released from his right back covering role. Delph did OK but some of his decisions of when to pass were terrible. 

Gomes, who was playing in a completely unknown position was crap. Siggy got better and he starting taking on more responsibility as the game went on. I did think both he and Gomes were having a contest as to who could lose the ball most at one stage. 

DCL had a very mixed game. Some excellent hold up play, some terrible decisions and execution on the ball, but then some great bits of movement to see him score one and another he should have. 

As for the subs, I thought Bernard added some well needed energy in midfield. He made Newcastle commit more than they had to before then. Tosun didn't do a lot but he found some pockets of space and played some good balls, including the one for the goal. I also though Iwobi did well. He made sure he was always available to put a ball into the box and one of them counted. 

It is always tough when you have so many people out but Newcastle are crap and we need to win games like that regardless of whether we are at full strength or not. 

I feel there are a few overreactions in here , yes we were shite but at the end of the day we lost away to a dodgy penalty and a lucky deflection

That side is nowhere near our strongest Xi , in fact if you has said to Steve Bruce before the game that he could take 4 players out of that Everton side, bar maybe DCL the 4 that were missing (Richarlison, James, Digne & Coleman ) are probably the 4 he would pick

We all know the squad isn’t good enough yet so to give Carlo stick for trying to make the best of a band hand seems harsh 

That's what years and years of shit recruitment does, our squad depth is non-existent. A good chunk of the players that we're having to rely on are mid-table fodder (at best) so it's little surprise, if extremely depressing that we go up against what is a piss poor Newcastle side and create the square root of fuck all for 96 minutes. Our tactics were negative, because they had to be - the Southampton game showed that we have about as much threat as a wet fart after a salad, so the best option was to park the bus like a League Two side and try to snatch something on the break. There's pace in Nkounkou, but he's basically a youth team player so can't expect miracles from him and it's as if Jonjoe has a fucking magnet attached to his arse pulling him back to his own goal - take a shot every time he played the ball forward and you'd be as pissed as the Pope. If Schalke are still somehow interested in him, then slap a reasonable figure on him and move on. 

Keane was OK, but Yerry Mina had another shocker. Getting touch tight to Ryan Fraser, known in all four corners of the world for his pace is a recipe for disaster and lo an behold he gets in behind and makes it 2-0. Utter, utter schoolboy shite that should quite rightly be played on the big screen at Finch Farm with concluding questions about what the actual fuck he was thinking. Robin Olson gets a free pass to be honest, made his debut and did well as expected, would arguably give him a go against United. 

Delph - fuck off. Give him a £100,000 bonus when he manages to get a decent cross in and we'd still be £100,000 richer at the end of the season. Shite. Only managed to get a ride in Manchester City's side because he was English, had he come from overseas he'd be turning out for Grimsby. 

Andre Gomes (who I love to death) was shit, again. Stonewall penalty, don't kid yourself. Waving your legs like an inflatable outside a car garage in the middle of the box is again schoolboy shit and asking for trouble. Did Wilson make a meal of it? Yep, but you've got to ask why we're in that situation to begin with.

Bernard, another player that I absolutely love was dismal. Has a turn of pace but never uses it, instead opting to either play a 50 yard sideways pass or a defence splitting ball backwards to Michael Keane. Can be fucked off in January, again if Roma are wanting to give us silly money then take their arm off and move on. Gylfi Sigurdsson doesn't deserve half the amount of shite he gets but again, today, shit. Twatting balls from about 489 yards rather than actually looking to break the lines and feed DCL into play, he's a luxury player that in sides like this we can't afford to have. 

As for DCL, he had about as much service as a takeaway in Chernobyl. Fuck all. Had to come about 40 yards deep to even see the ball which meant he was basically a defensive midfielder wearing a number 9 shirt, amazing how when we actually get the ball in and around the six-yard box (through a deflection) he sticks it in the net and pulls us back into the game - had we done that from the first minute we might have actually got something. 

Overall another shit show, last week was abysmal and this was just as bad. Take out the genuine stars in our team; James, Digne, Richarlison and we're fucking abysmal. It's going to take more than one or two transfer windows to sort this out, and I'm living in hope that Brands and Carlo can set things right but at the moment, here and now we're a mid-table side sprinkled with world-class talent. A defeat to United will be three defeats in a row, winless in four - thank fuck that we had an amazing start to the season or we'd be rubbing shoulders with the pondlife that is Fulham, West Brom and Burnley. 

4 minutes ago, Aidan said:

The team were set up to fail, again. I'm clearly not asking for him to be sacked, he is in part responsible for the past two losses. 

Not taking our chances cost us the game, we went there with 2 of our most influential players missing, and both our first choice full backs missing, we were never going to be expansive with the players at our disposal. 
We've had a poor penalty decision awarded against us and block that ballooned over the keeper fall for them , they haven’t scored a clean cut well made goal so I’d say our tactics worked and they fluke it, but to rub salt into the wound DCL and Gylfi missed 2 guilt edge chances, missing those types of chances in games that you know you aren’t going to get many in because the team is struggling with personnel is what loses you the game. 

Im not very popular for blaming Carlo today! Musnt be able to do wrong! 

More the fact that you're chatting absolute shite, a team filled with bang average dross yet you're jumping down the easy option which is Carlo. The game-plan was depressing, negative but arguably the right one with the utter shite we had to choose from out on the pitch. To somehow create an agenda and throw the manager under the boss shows a clear lack of understanding of football tactics. 

8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

So Gomes, Siggy, Mina, John Joe, were blameless.  All down to the manager? Ok mate. 

+1.

Just now, Aidan said:

The team selection and tactics were down to Carlo, who got it wrong and is responsible today. Mate. 

If Carlo told Gylfi, Gomes and co to play shite then I would say ok.

But. Gomes and Gylfi as I have spoken about numerous times are weak as absolute piss.  When we were going well, Gylfi was on the bench and Gomes was getting carried.  You can do that when you have Richarlison and James and Allan and Doucoure aren't overwhelmed by the amount of possession conceded by the likes of these 2.

Ancellotti has done miracles with the little recruitment he's been able to do. 

Just now, Zoo 2.0 said:

More the fact that you're chatting absolute shite, a team filled with bang average dross yet you're jumping down the easy option which is Carlo. The game-plan was depressing, negative but arguably the right one with the utter shite we had to choose from out on the pitch. To somehow create an agenda and throw the manager under the boss shows a clear lack of understanding of football tactics. 

We played 5 central midfielders today. It was like watching ronald Koeman manage us. He got the system wrong and was too scared of being beaten by a poor Newcastle team. 

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

If Carlo told Gylfi, Gomes and co to play shite then I would say ok.

So a manager can only get it wrong if he actually specifically tells players to not play well?

He's not done miracles at all, he's recruited exceptionally well and played a system which works when those players are fit. It's not a miracle we actually look like a good team when we bring in champions league level players. 

With the players we currently have fit we should still be capable of challenging against teams like Southampton and Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

We played 5 central midfielders today. It was like watching ronald Koeman manage us. He got the system wrong and was too scared of being beaten by a poor Newcastle team. 

No to be fair you're spot on, playing two at the back and four up front would have seen us break the record as the first team to score 10 goals in a Premier League game. E-mail a CV over to Moshiri, as you're clearly on a higher level to Carlo who's only won the Champions League three times.

Just now, Zoo 2.0 said:

No to be fair you're spot on, playing two at the back and four up front would have seen us break the record as the first team to score 10 goals in a Premier League game. E-mail a CV over to Moshiri, as you're clearly on a higher level to Carlo who's only won the Champions League three times.

Cheers mate

So a manager can only get it wrong if he actually specifically tells players to not play well?

He's not done miracles at all, he's recruited exceptionally well and played a system which works when those players are fit. It's not a miracle we actually look like a good team when we bring in champions league level players. 

With the players we currently have fit we should still be capable of challenging against teams like Southampton and Newcastle.

I'm sorry..... You were saying the only person at fault was Carlo? Were you not?

Then you said with the players we had we should have beaten Newcastle..... So what was the factor???  Did all the players play well and it was just tactics? Or did the players struggle to pass well, retain the ball?

Did Carlo tell Gomes to be a slug on the first chance that the keeper saved? Did he tell mina to step against a quick player and get rolled? 

And for the record Gomes didn’t kick the back of Wilson’s leg it clearly shows his boot made connection with the underside of Wilson’s studs, because Wilson has jumped into Gomes after Gomes starts his movement to clear the ball. 
Fucking piss poor decision only backed up by Roy Keane out of the panel pundits because he’s a fucking prick and thinks he’s hard by being controversial. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And for the record Gomes didn’t kick the back of Wilson’s leg it clearly shows his boot made connection with the underside of Wilson’s studs, because Wilson has jumped into Gomes after Gomes starts his movement to clear the ball. 
Fucking piss poor decision only backed up by Roy Keane out of the panel pundits because he’s a fucking prick and thinks he’s hard by being controversial. 

Callum Wilson the dickhead pretty much admitted he tried to get kicked by the swinging leg. 

Yeah nice one you tit, hope you get a ban and have pennos denied to getting your legs kicked to bits. 

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I'm sorry..... You were saying the only person at fault was Carlo? Were you not?

Then you said with the players we had we should have beaten Newcastle..... So what was the factor???  Did all the players play well and it was just tactics? Or did the players struggle to pass well, retain the ball?

Did Carlo tell Gomes to be a slug on the first chance that the keeper saved? Did he tell mina to step against a quick player and get rolled? 

Wow, you are pedantic aren't you? 

I admit my initial choice of words was wrong. To say it was 'disgraceful' was an over reaction to a frustrating game. My opinion though is that carlo got the system wrong. If you think he got it right and the players were the ones responsible then more power you.

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Callum Wilson the dickhead pretty much admitted he tried to get kicked by the swinging leg. 

Yeah nice one you tit, hope you get a ban and have pennos denied to getting your legs kicked to bits. 

What Callum Wilson did is something that we should be looking to take advantage of ourselves. There are more penalty decisions than ever and we need to be aware of that in the opposition box. If you cant beat them, join them. 

Just now, Palfy said:

It’s not irrelevant.

We probably have one of the best managers in the game, and that’s been said by many people more qualified than us to make that statement, for me Carlo’s selection wasn’t wrong his players let him down in certain area’s. 

Just because he's so successful doesnt mean he always makes the right decisions. My selection or system is irrelevant because I'm not a manager, I'm still allowed an opinion on it. 

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

Think that was more down to the players not being up to it - Jon jo and Niels struggled to replace Coleman and Digne. I think the tactic of have Dacoure and Delph covering them (as both inexperienced at this level) to allow then to attack when in possession was the right tactic. Neither of their movement or end product wasn't good enough so. We needed to get lucky and have one of them have a 'great' game. One decent performance from either of these and we win this game.

I can't be too critical of either Jon Jo or Niels as they don't have the experience or the usual 'winger' if front of them.

I don't think Gordon played because there was enough 'inexperience' on the pitch already, and like he Ancelotti has said on many occasion the most difficult think is keeping the player who are not in the starting 11 motivated. Putting in so much youth in the team ahead of senior player just outside of the starting 11 would work against this. 

We just didn't have any sort of outlet on either wing. 

Before the game I would have taken a draw., because the game pretty much turned out as I expected.

I think most disagree with your Ancelotti comment as you used the term that his team selection and tactics where 'disgraceful' - bit over the top.

Seeing how poor Newcastle actually where against his make shift starting line up, I am sure with hindsight, he will probably think he could have maybe been a bit bolder in the first half. 

14 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Just because he's so successful doesnt mean he always makes the right decisions. My selection or system is irrelevant because I'm not a manager, I'm still allowed an opinion on it. 

But if you don’t back your opinion up then it just comes across as criticism for the sake of criticism, if you’re going to criticise someone for not making the right decisions at least quantify what you believe would have been the right decision’s, and you never know we could end up agreeing with you 👍

40 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

What would you have done? Who would you have picked and where? 

Played a wide player, maybe be really reckless and play two?

Played full backs as full backs. 

Played Doucoure as the box to box player he is. 

Its a completely fair point to say we were lacking key players, and that is always going to detract from the performance, but no-one is telling me that the Newcastle side we played today is better than ours even with those losses. They had a midfield of Hendrick, Longstaff and Almiron. 

The players have to look at themselves today but also I think Carlo will watch that game back and think that whatever he was trying didnt work.