IGNORED

Harry Winks

He must tick the box for what we are looking for.   A few years back he was touted for enormous things…. Last year pep was looking at him so I think there is something unique that he brings.

I’ve not watched him a great deal but all the reports on him suggest he is an extremely good passer of the ball.  I’m not overly excited by this I must say but will trust thelwell and lampard 

24 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2022/06/22/everton-at-very-advanced-stage-to-sign-tottenham-midfielder-harry-winks-agent/

Spurs have had a blinder here if this is true, they only paid £24m for Bissouma !

We’ve learnt absolutely nothing.

I hoped the signings after Tarkowski would put my mind at ease but now I’m worrying even more.

At least the defence will know where to stand and our crab midfield will be even more crab-like though. Hurrah!

Couldn't agree with Romey more. I just simply don't understand why we never learn.

Proven Averageness in the Premier league at a premium price vs taking 20 to 24 Yr old  promising unproven Premier league talent from a wide variety of leagues.

If we can take 2 or 3 promising talents for the price and wages of Harry Winks, I know where I want us to be looking.

No more Delphs, Gomes, Keanes, Bolasi's, Sigurdson's.

More Cahills, Artetas, Jagielkas, DCLs, Stones

1 hour ago, Trigger said:

Couldn't agree with Romey more. I just simply don't understand why we never learn.

Proven Averageness in the Premier league at a premium price vs taking 20 to 24 Yr old  promising unproven Premier league talent from a wide variety of leagues.

If we can take 2 or 3 promising talents for the price and wages of Harry Winks, I know where I want us to be looking.

No more Delphs, Gomes, Keanes, Bolasi's, Sigurdson's.

More Cahills, Artetas, Jagielkas, DCLs, Stones

When we come calling clubs must be rubbing their hands with glee at the shite we’re about to take off their hands and overpay for the privilege. 

Don’t think many people have watched him have they?

He isn’t the type of name that we’re looking for, but he is a technically gifted player. Very tidy on the ball and make the hardest passes in the game… which is the ten yard pass.

He is better than players like Davies, Gomes, Delpth, Gbamin ect. So is probably the upgrade for one of those.

7 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Not sure why people are surprised by this to be honest. We escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth, these were always going to be the types of signings we would make this summer.

I'm surprised we're not signing players that improve us, yes.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

He isn’t the type of name that we’re looking for, but he is a technically gifted player. Very tidy on the ball and make the hardest passes in the game… which is the ten yard pass.

He is better than players like Davies, Gomes, Delpth, Gbamin ect. So is probably the upgrade for one of those.

Tottenham fans have and they're laughing their heads off about someone taking him off their hands. They will know what he's like, just like we know what our players are like.

I don't care about his name, I care about what he brings to us and in my opinion he brings absolutely nothing.

I really don't think he's better than Davies, he's at his level and he's, at best, good enough to be a squad player. We're going to sign Winks to actually be a first 11 player. 

A loan deal would just about be palatable (that way he might actually earn the move) but if we spend money on garbage like Winks then we're settling for repeating the same mistakes over and over, and we'll never get any better.

I hope that when he signs (it is a when, not an if) that he proves me wrong but I'm really going to fear for us next season if this is the direction we're going. I will actually worry about losing Richarlison and I don't think he brings a lot of quality to the table either. What he brings is heart and determination to make up for what he lacks ability-wise so when he goes we'll lose that and we're going to dilute the quality of an already pretty shite team with players like Winks.

If we sign a creative player then my worries will ease somewhat but we'll see.

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm surprised we're not signing players that improve us, yes.

Tottenham fans have and they're laughing their heads off about someone taking him off their hands. They will know what he's like, just like we know what our players are like.

I don't care about his name, I care about what he brings to us and in my opinion he brings absolutely nothing.

I really don't think he's better than Davies, he's at his level and he's, at best, good enough to be a squad player. We're going to sign Winks to actually be a first 11 player. 

A loan deal would just about be palatable (that way he might actually earn the move) but if we spend money on garbage like Winks then we're settling for repeating the same mistakes over and over, and we'll never get any better.

I hope that when he signs (it is a when, not an if) that he proves me wrong but I'm really going to fear for us next season if this is the direction we're going. I will actually worry about losing Richarlison and I don't think he brings a lot of quality to the table either. What he brings is heart and determination to make up for what he lacks ability-wise so when he goes we'll lose that and we're going to dilute the quality of an already pretty shite team with players like Winks.

If we sign a creative player then my worries will ease somewhat but we'll see.

Pinged my mate in work who is a spurs fan and played the game to a very decent level to ask about him.  Spurs fans make him their target of abuse because he hasn’t become the England and Spurs captain they predicted when he first emerged. Quite a common theme across clubs in general. 

Let’s be honest - have any of us watched him properly? I know loads of us are getting irritated at other fans dismissing Richarlison with very little knowledge of him.

this lad I know likes Winks, very good passer but needs regular games. 

13 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Pinged my mate in work who is a spurs fan and played the game to a very decent level to ask about him.  Spurs fans make him their target of abuse because he hasn’t become the England and Spurs captain they predicted when he first emerged. Quite a common theme across clubs in general. 

Let’s be honest - have any of us watched him properly? I know loads of us are getting irritated at other fans dismissing Richarlison with very little knowledge of him.

this lad I know likes Winks, very good passer but needs regular games. 

As nice as it is for my sanity that you've found one that rates him I think the majority view on him is probably more accurate.

Don't get me wrong, when he arrives he'll get my full backing on the pitch but here is where I can vent, and this move does not bode well for any improvement this coming season (it might even be a further regression).

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

That's good to hear someone speak positively. I haven't seen much of him play, I just think fans are getting tired of signing this mould of player though... The "not good enough for the top 6" standard. I.e. Delph, Iwobi.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

It seems a lot of money to me for a player who spent most of his time after January on the bench. How on earth is he commanding that type of fee?

Cos he’s got an England cap, his upside is pretty high, he’s young enough, technically very sound. 

let’s be honest, if we were to sell Tom Davies we would get around £15m so it’s not a million miles away. 

pep was looking at signing him over a year ago.  He clearly has something that managers like. 

The spurs fans are relentless in their criticism of him. He wouldn’t be the first would he…. Look at most home grown players. If they show early promise and drop then that’s when the knives come out.

his job will be to take the ball from the defence or Pickford and use it.   With doucoure and Allan he may be the centre mid we need. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

As nice as it is for my sanity that you've found one that rates him I think the majority view on him is probably more accurate.

Don't get me wrong, when he arrives he'll get my full backing on the pitch but here is where I can vent, and this move does not bode well for any improvement this coming season (it might even be a further regression).

Look at the majority view of him on the posts when he played under poch ….. he was by far their most progressive midfielder. Their fans had huge hopes for him. 

1 hour ago, milesey05 said:

I don't want him.

Most Everton fans don't want him.

My Spurs mates are laughing as they don't want him.

So expecting news soon he will be an Everton player signed for 20m on 5 year deal.

Said it on a post earlier in thread- Cleverly MKII

Do you think the fans know more and should do recruitment. 
you have to trust Lampard and Thelwell 

Anyone who has watched Winks over the last 18 months knows they are not getting an upgrade on anything that is already here.

As for other people knowing better just look at last 5 years signings, no expertise required there.

As for giving the new regime a chance to sort things out, I'm all for that, but i still think we have watched the game long enough to spot a dud when we see one.

20 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

Anyone who has watched Winks over the last 18 months knows they are not getting an upgrade on anything that is already here.

As for other people knowing better just look at last 5 years signings, no expertise required there.

As for giving the new regime a chance to sort things out, I'm all for that, but i still think we have watched the game long enough to spot a dud when we see one.

That would be the quick and dirty assumption…..  Do you think the likes of Lampard and Thelwell think “yeah…. He’s crap, let’s go and get him”

If they want him then they clearly know that he gives us something we need in the right price bracket vs other options. 

has he got me excited? No.   I want Gallagher /zinchenko….. but I will trust dof and lampard 

43 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

2 months ago Iwobi was a dud until Lampard changed his system. 

32 minutes ago, patto said:

2 months ago Iwobi was a dud until Lampard changed his system. 

Iwobi still has a long way to go to justify that 35mil fee, it will take a lot more than 3 months of ok games to eradicate the 3 years of piss poor, under various managers.

But as i said im happy to give Frank the chance to build a team, just this signing does not fill me with hope, i did not rate winks long before we were interested.

But the game is all about opinions, and we all have our own, i hope im wrong. and hope Iwobi continues to improve.

44 minutes ago, Tonsta said:

Iwobi still has a long way to go to justify that 35mil fee, it will take a lot more than 3 months of ok games to eradicate the 3 years of piss poor, under various managers.

But as i said im happy to give Frank the chance to build a team, just this signing does not fill me with hope, i did not rate winks long before we were interested.

But the game is all about opinions, and we all have our own, i hope im wrong. and hope Iwobi continues to improve.

Fair points on both sides here. I’m of the mind that until proven wrong we should trust Frank in general and most specifically when dealing with the midfield. If he thinks he can get the best out of someone in that area I’m not sure many are more qualified to judge. 

Most of us are being naive if we think we know enough to comment on a player's ability. I'm always much more interested in price, position, age, leverage. Assuming these rumors are actually true and Frank is in fact on board here I actually think this is much different from Bolasie, Siggy, Iwobi etc. We're not panic buying or desperate for the next best thing. Spurs have brought in Bissouma already so we can get Winks for less or on loan. I'm not sure I agree with those who think this is the waste of a loan. Who else would we use it on? It's not like world beaters are available. Lastly, he'll also be hugely motivated to try and sneak into the world cup discussion for England.

9 hours ago, Aidan said:

That's good to hear someone speak positively. I haven't seen much of him play, I just think fans are getting tired of signing this mould of player though... The "not good enough for the top 6" standard. I.e. Delph, Iwobi.

Ye I do see that. And he isn’t a top six player. But after seeing him play a few times, he is a step above the players mentioned above for me. 

It’s sometimes easy to follow the pack. You’ve only got to look at players like Maguire who are labelled as pub level….. when in reality he is good enough for 80% of the top six. And I think Winks is a player who hasn’t reached the predicted heights so easily becomes the scapegoat. 
Someone mentioned above Richarlison. The guy is talked about as one of the most over rated players on the premier league by those who don’t watch him.

Ywt the same fans will tell you Trent is the best left back in world football. Yet the guy cant defend for shit.