IGNORED

Harry Winks

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Cos he’s got an England cap, his upside is pretty high, he’s young enough, technically very sound. 

let’s be honest, if we were to sell Tom Davies we would get around £15m so it’s not a million miles away. 

pep was looking at signing him over a year ago.  He clearly has something that managers like. 

The spurs fans are relentless in their criticism of him. He wouldn’t be the first would he…. Look at most home grown players. If they show early promise and drop then that’s when the knives come out.

his job will be to take the ball from the defence or Pickford and use it.   With doucoure and Allan he may be the centre mid we need. 

I would bite anyones hand off for £15m for Davies! 

I'd take the Pep wants Winks reports with a pinch of salt.

As I said before, I think he would be first choice if he came into this midfield and I do think he has some qualities this midfield desperarely needs (technical ability mainly) but at the same time its a lot of money. 

Even if Davies is worth £15m, you can bet there are a number of similar players knocking around the continent that would do a similar job for a lot less money. Its like we don't really have a scouting department.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I would bite anyones hand off for £15m for Davies! 

I'd take the Pep wants Winks reports with a pinch of salt.

As I said before, I think he would be first choice if he came into this midfield and I do think he has some qualities this midfield desperarely needs (technical ability mainly) but at the same time its a lot of money. 

Even if Davies is worth £15m, you can bet there are a number of similar players knocking around the continent that would do a similar job for a lot less money. Its like we don't really have a scouting department.

Since we're no longer in the EU anymore, does that mean PL clubs struggle to get the necessary visas?

54 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

In other words, unfair advantage is given to the powerful clubs with very big budgets. Football in England is such a mess at times.

Thinking this through, clubs outside the top six get clobbered both ways.

First, consider buying players from Europe. Imagine the following available players, their fee, and their "points" value in the visa stakes (I'll invent a range for sake of argument).

PlayerA, $80m, 80pts
PlayerB, $75m, 72pts
PlayerC, $72m, 71pts
PlayerD, $70m, 70pts
PlayerE, $65m, 65 pts

The British government, in its wisdom, tells everyone that the minimum number of points needed to get a visa is 70. This means that available players cost $70m and up - out of the range of anyone but the top six wealthy teams. No other teams have the option to buy from Europe, so they have no option but to look for British players.

Now the law of supply and demand kicks in. Because a majority of teams cannot purchase from Europe, demand for local players soars, which means prices soar as well - way beyond their value when compared to equivalent players in Europe (to whom they have no access).

So, the top teams are given an option unavailable to other teams, and other teams face inflated prices for less valuable players. This, my friends, is why a team like Everton would have to pay over the odds for a player such as Harry Winks.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Thinking this through, clubs outside the top six get clobbered both ways.

First, consider buying players from Europe. Imagine the following available players, their fee, and their "points" value in the visa stakes (I'll invent a range for sake of argument).

PlayerA, $80m, 80pts
PlayerB, $75m, 72pts
PlayerC, $72m, 71pts
PlayerD, $70m, 70pts
PlayerE, $65m, 65 pts

The British government, in its wisdom, tells everyone that the minimum number of points needed to get a visa is 70. This means that available players cost $70m and up - out of the range of anyone but the top six wealthy teams. No other teams have the option to buy from Europe, so they have no option but to look for British players.

Now the law of supply and demand kicks in. Because a majority of teams cannot purchase from Europe, demand for local players soars, which means prices soar as well - way beyond their value when compared to equivalent players in Europe (to whom they have no access).

So, the top teams are given an option unavailable to other teams, and other teams face inflated prices for less valuable players. This, my friends, is why a team like Everton would have to pay over the odds for a player such as Harry Winks.

The main reason why Everton would have to pay over the odds for some like Winks is because we’re fucking stupid. 

7 hours ago, Tonsta said:

Iwobi still has a long way to go to justify that 35mil fee, it will take a lot more than 3 months of ok games to eradicate the 3 years of piss poor, under various managers.

But as i said im happy to give Frank the chance to build a team, just this signing does not fill me with hope, i did not rate winks long before we were interested.

But the game is all about opinions, and we all have our own, i hope im wrong. and hope Iwobi continues to improve.

I hope your wrong also

Sounds from that article that Pochettino believed in him and he flourished under him. Mou seems to have taken against him, so confidence went, Conte not interested and he became a bit part player.  If Frank has identified that he can do a job here no doubt he will get the same support as from Poch.

12 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Sounds from that article that Pochettino believed in him and he flourished under him. Mou seems to have taken against him, so confidence went, Conte not interested and he became a bit part player.  If Frank has identified that he can do a job here no doubt he will get the same support as from Poch.

Pep has heaped praise on him in the past too.

looks likely that a loan to buy is the goer. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Depends if it’s a commitment  buy like moise kean.  Not sure if they do that for ffp. 

And they haven’t bought him despite that commitment, so I’m sure we’ll be able to get out of it if he’s a complete disaster.

We’d be mad to go with an obligation to buy anyway like but we are who we are.

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And they haven’t bought him despite that commitment, so I’m sure we’ll be able to get out of it if he’s a complete disaster.

They haven’t bought him yet, the obligation doesn’t come into effect until next summer

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s contractual so I’m not sure how they can’t buy him.  They are just being cheap skates trying to offload him or get him cheaper. 

40 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

They haven’t bought him yet, the obligation doesn’t come into effect until next summer

Why have people been saying the money is coming for him this summer and that's why we'll at least be able to spend a bit before other outgoings?

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It’s contractual so I’m not sure how they can’t buy him.  They are just being cheap skates trying to offload him or get him cheaper. 

I don't blame them tbh, he's a poor player and they know we're fucked so why not take advantage of the situation.

But on Winks, no way in hell should we accept an obligation to buy. A very limited player who isn't wanted by his club because he's not good enough, isn't going to get any game time and has looked garbage for a good while now, and we have financial troubles. Fair enough have a look at him for a season but imagine if he's as woeful as most think he is? Then we've got to spend a decent wedge of money to keep him.

Please, Everton, don't do it, don't create more problems for yourself.

44 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Why have people been saying the money is coming for him this summer and that's why we'll at least be able to spend a bit before other outgoings?

I don't blame them tbh, he's a poor player and they know we're fucked so why not take advantage of the situation.

But on Winks, no way in hell should we accept an obligation to buy. A very limited player who isn't wanted by his club because he's not good enough, isn't going to get any game time and has looked garbage for a good while now, and we have financial troubles. Fair enough have a look at him for a season but imagine if he's as woeful as most think he is? Then we've got to spend a decent wedge of money to keep him.

Please, Everton, don't do it, don't create more problems for yourself.

It was a 2 year loan deal with an obligation to buy for £24m but Juventus have already decided that they don’t want him so are considering bringing it forward and buying him early to then sell him on 

That way they can get his wages off the books and bring in a new striker

16 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It was a 2 year loan deal with an obligation to buy for £24m but Juventus have already decided that they don’t want him so are considering bringing it forward and buying him early to then sell him on 

That way they can get his wages off the books and bring in a new striker

Gotcha.