IGNORED

Sheffield United (Home) Sunday 16 May

markjazzbassist

Just watched the goal back again. Its another goal that tells you all the problems with this side.

1. Poor ball into Richarlison. He tries to flick it to James but doesnt get a good enough connection.

2.James just gives up when it goes to the Sheffield player. Not even a thought about defending or getting into position. He just jogs past him. 

3. Doucoure heads off the run and everyone is covered. It leads to a 3 v 3 in the right channel. 

4. Both Richarlison and James both let their men run by them. Richarlison has an argument that he is passing the man to Allan especially as the shorter Brazillian is currently making a back 6 rather than playing as a midfielder. It creates a 5 v 3 in that channel. 

5. Holgate lets his man turn and pass out. The ball goes to the man James let run. Doucoure tries to get back in and Allan then tries to cut the passing line to McGoldrick (acres of space just outside the box). As Doucoure hadn't got goal side, their player cuts between the two. At least Richie is now back and of all people Dom is trying to get back in. Yes that is our two strikers 20 and 30 yards from goal against Sheffield Utd. 

6. Keane comes across to cover the ball carrier and this starts a chain of events. Godfrey sees the free man (McGoldrick) and gambles on the ball going to him. It doesn't, it goes to the man he just ran from and Digne wasn't covering. I can see why Godfrey did what he did but he does it way too late. He doesn't react until the ball is struck. Its like the Palace goal a few weeks ago but the decision far too late in that the action he took meant that he couldn't have got close enough to McGoldrick and nor could he stop the goalscorer.

Its another goal that stems from lazy and undisciplined defending. Several players had the chance to make a decision to stop that goal being scored. Whether that be the desire to defend (James, Richie, Holgate), positional discipline (Allan and Doucoure) or that split-second decision making (Godfrey). 

I just want to also add a final point to James' role in that goal to explain why it is so important and also why it pisses me off.

I said a few days or weeks ago that there is a reason he wouldnt get into a City, Liverpool, Chelsea side and this is it. If one of those sides lost the ball in that situation, whoever that player was (eg Mane, KDB, Mount) would immediately instigate the counter press. Primarily this is to win the ball back, but the secondary part is to slow the attack down. If the attack stalls, the rest of the team push up further and get back into their structure. The obvious example in that goal is that you would expect Allan to be further forward and not hanging about in the defensive line. If players have that little bit more time, it also means they cut the passing lines or they have more of an opportunity to get tighter to their man, delaying the decisions made by the passer, forcing them backwards or into a riskier pass. 

In that goal we never get set. We are chasing their attackers who are in their attacking shape and who then add to that shape (the runs not picked up by James and Richie). They are dictating to us, pushing us back and into risky decisions, rather than us pushing them away from goal and forcing them to make split second decisions.

A game of football at this level can turn on tiny margins.

Ah well I think we all knew deep down this was going to happen. Rinse and repeat - we need a good window in the summer and some of our players really need to look at themselves. We’re fast becoming that of a team that pays out champions league wages for players who don’t turn up every week.

Only Everton could get the most decorated manager in the game and look like relegation candidates.

Thinking about this and the common denominators.... Mainly being the players - where does the manager start getting questioned???

For me the players and their mentality is a huge one.  We've got some seriously weak willed players.  I'm looking at Richarlison, Digne, Coleman as supposed spirited players.  Not for me.  

It's bad enough having Gylfis and Gomes who don't even pretend to be "up and at em" give me the ball and I'll win us the game.   We have some supposed captain type players who just aren't...... It's like going to the doctor's and expecting the bloke in the white jacket to sort your minging foot out......  Don't try and wear the white jacket if you ain't the doctor - get back behind the reception counter with Gylfi and Andre. If we don't have a doctor then that's fine - it's better than looking at some bloke in a white jacket who barely knows how to diagnose athlete's foot and expecting an answer. 

Something happens when they cross that white line - subliminally they have collectively got to know eachother that well - that no matter who manages them - they can seriously get any fucker the sack. 

I don't think Ancellotti is the problem - but he is part of the current problem.  Is his son Davide a bonafide coach???  Has Carlo taken a figurehead role and allowed nepotism to muddy a great CV by indulging his sons need for a career? 

What's Duncs role??? Surely to fuck he can't be happy or is he too mellow? 

24 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Only Everton could get the most decorated manager in the game and look like relegation candidates.

Thinking about this and the common denominators.... Mainly being the players - where does the manager start getting questioned???

For me the players and their mentality is a huge one.  We've got some seriously weak willed players.  I'm looking at Richarlison, Digne, Coleman as supposed spirited players.  Not for me.  

It's bad enough having Gylfis and Gomes who don't even pretend to be "up and at em" give me the ball and I'll win us the game.   We have some supposed captain type players who just aren't...... It's like going to the doctor's and expecting the bloke in the white jacket to sort your minging foot out......  Don't try and wear the white jacket if you ain't the doctor - get back behind the reception counter with Gylfi and Andre. If we don't have a doctor then that's fine - it's better than looking at some bloke in a white jacket who barely knows how to diagnose athlete's foot and expecting an answer. 

Something happens when they cross that white line - subliminally they have collectively got to know eachother that well - that no matter who manages them - they can seriously get any fucker the sack. 

I don't think Ancellotti is the problem - but he is part of the current problem.  Is his son Davide a bonafide coach???  Has Carlo taken a figurehead role and allowed nepotism to muddy a great CV by indulging his sons need for a career? 

What annoys me right now and I’m not sure if I’m petty or wrong for it is the first few games as we were winning. The goal celebrations were huge but it was like after 5/6 games these players forgot that they were absolute shit for 2/3 years beforehand. We’ve had years of players coming out and saying we need to do this or that - all talk. Players are coming here to collect a wage and it’s piss poor.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Agree with this. It is down to Ancelotti, the buck stops with him.  We have had some games this season where we have played some excellent football and had good wins against good sides, so the quality is there.  Unfortunately, for most games, that quality disappears.  Players can't be arsed.  No effort, no work rate.  First, it is down to the manager. The problem has been staring him in the face for most of the season.  Second, we need a 'Roy Keane' type captain who can sort out the players on the pitch.  

Like someone posted on here, am not interested in the final games.  Not bothered if we lose and if we win then its too little too late.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

What annoys me right now and I’m not sure if I’m petty or wrong for it is the first few games as we were winning. The goal celebrations were huge but it was like after 5/6 games these players forgot that they were absolute shit for 2/3 years beforehand. We’ve had years of players coming out and saying we need to do this or that - all talk. Players are coming here to collect a wage and it’s piss poor.

Yep agreed. At final whistle nowadays it's difficult to look at players and wonder who won and who lost.

Game has gone sterile.  It needs proper tackles and stuff to get the players interested but old VAR gives red cards out for treading on a foot 

32 minutes ago, johnh said:

Agree with this. It is down to Ancelotti, the buck stops with him.  We have had some games this season where we have played some excellent football and had good wins against good sides, so the quality is there.  Unfortunately, for most games, that quality disappears.  Players can't be arsed.  No effort, no work rate.  First, it is down to the manager. The problem has been staring him in the face for most of the season.  Second, we need a 'Roy Keane' type captain who can sort out the players on the pitch.  

Like someone posted on here, am not interested in the final games.  Not bothered if we lose and if we win then its too little too late.

Roy Keane characters these days are frowned at by the 23 year old fashion designers / video game / sex party  - part time footballers. 

That's where our game had gone.  Look at maddison - great talent, more arsed about Instagram than losing his England shirt cos he's an idiot. 

Quite a few questions just on last night's game.

Richarlison has been shit all season yet playing every week. Allan isn't justifying walking straight back in the team over Davies. Five at the back against a relegated team. Michael Keane in a five at the back.

I am glad Ancelotti has come out and said he was Embarrassed about the game. 

What worried me it that the best of our 'quality' offensive players are not that great. 

James - as good as his highlight have been, he has just not been present or consistent enough throughout the season as a whole. A quality player, but you can't build any sort of system or team around him, because has just not been present enough, and nobody can do what he does when he isn't available. We are crying out for a upgrade to James - with James as back-up/mentor for the next couple of years . Coutinio ? Buendia?

Richarlison - he has not improved for me this season - been very inconsistent, seems very selfish and seems all he wants are goals for himself rather than for the team - he's not a creator at all and runs down to many blind alleys. Clear chance for a team mate or speculative shot for Richarlison - you know what he is going for. He is beginning to worry me - I would have like to see him benched half a dozen games ago and King given a run of two or three starts (does anybody really know what King would have been like in a Everton shirt!!) - 

Gyfi - Had a few very good game - but in the main has been average at best. 

DCL - the best of our offensive players, he has kicked on the season, but does have limitation. At least he is moving in the right direction as a player. Thank God he as kick on as well!! where would we be without his goals. 

Iwobi,  Gomes and Bernard - 2 goal between the three of then in the Prem for the whole season. Bang average Premiership players.

Our attacking backs Coleman and Digne - not a Prem goal between then in two seasons now!! Digne has dropped off since signing a new contract!! I would take a Baines in his prime right now!!

Ancellotti is known to be loyal to the players, treats them like professionals - Some are letting him down badly. I think Ancelotti has been guilty of putting to much trust to some of these players in the second half of the season.  Some of them need to know they are not cutting the mustard, and benched because of it. 

I would like to see somebody like Pereira come in - he has been a cracking player for the Baggies, goals and assists a plenty, but he is not shabby off the ball either. To good to be playing in the Championship next season.

Defensively we are a decent enough unit now with Godfrey, Allan and Doucoure added to the squad, and given some of the shut outs we have had this season are not to bad in this department - one of the only shining light of the second half of the season is that Pickford seems to have sorted his head out, and is looking a decent keeper once again.  

One good thing about missing Europe is that there is NO hiding places now for these poor poor performances over the second half of the season. 

Hope I'm wrong but I sense that James isn't happy here. Additionally, whilst lockdown has had a devastating impact on many ordinary people, pampered footballers and other sportsmen have been able to go about their business and get their fat pay cheques. They owed it to the fans to give 100%which has been sadly lacking in many of them.

We will really see the attitude of the team the next 2 games. Sheffield with absolutely nothing to play for put absolutely everything they had out there on the pitch, gave it everything. Watch us now over the next 2 games in the same position.

On 17/05/2021 at 13:25, johnh said:

We don’t need one Roy Keane type player. We need 5 or 6 who are like he was between the ears.

I’ve gone through the squad and so many players seem to have this cool and languid manner on the pitch. Especially in midfield. Behaviour is an indicator of personality. I reckon most of our players have an ambient soundtrack playing in their heads rather than massively aggressive beats.

You do need players like that, but we have too many in too many key positions. We need to sign some players who want to win and like a battle this summer, if they are skilful that’d be a bonus. And we need to find a proper captain, which we’ve lacked for years. Allan was a good start.

And the likes of Richi, Tom and Digne who seem to have relaxed their mindset to fit with the rest of the squad need to take a lead from Pickford’s book and sharpen up.