IGNORED

Sheffield United (Home) Sunday 16 May

markjazzbassist

Just now, Shukes said:

Credit where due.

Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs all went for it, and took it into their own hands. We had it, and simply bottled it again. 

We just don’t have the quality. 

Mentality for me not a quality issue. The games we're not picking many points up are the ones we expect to win to push for Europe. Palace, Brighton, Villa twice, now Sheffield United. As soon as the players realise theres something to play for they fall to pieces. 

On the whole though this is the worst result and performance of the season.

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

That was a right Forest Gump moment. Thought he was going to carry on running out the stadium.

The one thing that Bernard can be relied on to do is to jig forward and then pull up and pass it back.  The one time you needed to do that, he just runs brainlessly into touch.  Fucking astonishing.

For all our players, it's like they have been told that there is a new tax on attacking play and that the taxman is in the ground watching them intensely.

Absolutely shameful performance.

In a way I'm fucking made up it's happened.  That was disgusting and barring the expected "not good enough we must do better" bollocks which I'm expecting. They need to get some sports psychologists in to analyse the players/staff culture.

Its clearly wrong.  

Where is the pride?  There must be some strong Personalities in the squad who derail us. 

I’m going to use my most used word of this season, woeful.

Absolutely no desire to win that game, we were outplayed in every position, including a 17yr old. After Ramsdale made the three saves we caved in and lost all hope. Our starting 11 should have had enough quality to win, but it didn’t, and looking to the bench gave  me little hope of getting a goal never mind two.

A lot has been said of crowds not being at games affecting the home teams this season, if we would have had a crowd there tonight, they would have slaughtered that performance and lack of desire. I’ve no idea where we go from here, I just hope Carlo does.

Sorry to come back and just moan lads, but I need to release it...pent up for months now.

Fuckin horrible performances.

What pisses me off with all these home games is I can sit back, as I'm sure all you can, and predict that no matter the formation or players (both only change when forced anyway) we'll set up the game in a certain way. Something like...

We'll pass the ball left to right across the backline. At times when someone looks to bring it out, they'll stop, turn round and play it back again. At times when a forward ball is played, it'll come back. We'll dither on the ball for fuckin ages. When we do attack, we'll try to play it out wide for a cross. Said cross generally won't find an Everton player. Rinse. Repeat. When we finally go behind, as the 2nd half goes on, we'll decide to push forward, play the ball forward with pace, press and harass for every ball and play with urgency. But must not do this from kick off.

From so much hope to absolute dross.

15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We just don’t have the quality. 

I’m trying to think of the concrete ways we lack quality.

No pace.  No short-spurt quickness.  Few players who play relentlessly.  Terribly inconsistent passing forward, thus giveaways repeatedly.  Not a single player who combines pace with excellent dribbling and so can “get at” the opponent and glide past them with the ball.  Not one.

Thus, we have become, totally, a counter-attacking team who do not want lots of possession.  More and more it’s hoof it upfield and hope DCL can control it or spring loose Richarlison.

Our 3 playmakers have definite skills, but are so limited.  James is crafty and a delicate passer, can score a rocket, but is fragile, uninterested in defending, looks dispirited and dispiriting.  Sigurdsson is excellent at free kicks, will offer a wonderful pass occasionally, but looks emotionless.  Gomes can pick a pass, control the ball at his feet, but has no shot, and is so slow that he’s a defensive liability.

Holgate has gone from a player with real promise to one that most fans will be happy to see depart.  More than any single player, his look epitomizes the lethargy that plagues this team.

9 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

A lot has been said of crowds not being at games affecting the home teams this season, if we would have had a crowd there tonight, they would have slaughtered that performance and lack of desire.

I do wonder whether the fans will boo the team during warm-ups on Wed.  Or after 10 minutes, if things look lethargic yet again.

7 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Hello my man. Hope you're well? Won't be around too much, bit busy with life tbh 🤣. Just need to whinge a bit.

Good on you. Being retired my life is around hobbies, friends and family which have been pretty much in short supply for the past year so my outlet has been my 'beloved' Everton and what a disappointment that has been.

That's the season done then, not arsed about the next two games. Could go into detail on what needs to happen this summer but I can't be arsed, plus everyone on here knows it anyway - so dissapointed but the sad fact is that I'm not even surprised. 

Would the fans have dragged the team over the line? Probably, but not good enough to not take points here if we were playing on Mars.

7 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Good on you. Being retired my life is around hobbies, friends and family which have been pretty much in short supply for the past year so my outlet has been my 'beloved' Everton and what a disappointment that has been.

Ah really? Can imagine that being quite tough. Really feel for people who have been a bit stuck this past year or so. I'd go nuts if I had to stay home.

I've been lucky in that I'm a Pharmacy Manager - we ain't been able to down tools at all, complete opposite 🤣. Plus doing qualifications in Fitness & Nutrition, building that up behind the scenes, had to knock a few things off for times sake inc. TT unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

What an incoherent shit show that was. I know it's against the fucking law but the blame for that lies squarely with the manager - he sets us up, decides the tactics, the formation, the personnel, the messages he gives to the players. He needs to look at himself - he really should be getting more out of these players than he is. I don't expect miracles and for them all to play like prime fucking Maradona but they're better than what we've seen for the majority of the season. Every single team in this league plays better football than we do and not all of them have better players than we do, and it is an utter embarrassment. What the actual fuck do we do in training? Because it can't be that we work on building anything, there's fuck all there on a matchday to suggest there's a plan of any sort. We look like a team of strangers who have turned up just before kick off for a kickabout.

I am by no means absolving the players here either. My blood was boiling watching the thick cunts do god knows what that actually was this evening. Every single one of them needs to have a sit down and good, long think this summer. I include the ones who have had reasonably good performances throughout the season as well. They need to decide if they've got it in them to push us on, and if not then they need to fuck off somewhere else and do it quickly. 

Fuck giving the likes of Gylfi a new contract. We've got to be ruthless and clear these wasters out and bring in some hunger, because we're lacking that as much as quality.

You have just saved me 5 minutes of typing!

27 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Ah really? Can imagine that being quite tough. Really feel for people who have been a bit stuck this past year or so. I'd go nuts if I had to stay home.

I've been lucky in that I'm a Pharmacy Manager - we ain't been able to down tools at all, complete opposite 🤣. Plus doing qualifications in Fitness & Nutrition, building that up behind the scenes, had to knock a few things off for times sake inc. TT unfortunately.

Thanks for that and hats of to the pharmacies, you have stepped in when our wonderful NHS has been found wanting.

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We've got to be ruthless and clear these wasters out and bring in some hunger, because we're lacking that as much as quality.

This 100%!

Sadly, it’s been the same for the past 3/4 years. We’ve spent so poorly over the last few years and made far too many expensive mistakes.

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Thanks for that and hats of to the pharmacies, you have stepped in when our wonderful NHS has been found wanting.

Yeah cheers. The biggest shock for us was how quickly GP surgeries closed their doors and sent everyone onto Pharmacies to sort. That was crazy. And still they don't look likely to open the doors anytime soon. But hey ho, we kept a wage when many lost theirs, so...

I'm not entirely sure it would be entirely fair to just point the fingers at recruitment. 

When no-one in the side is playing well, nor looking like they give a shit, there is more to it than who we signed. 

Allan has been one of the worst performers in the last two games. James and DCL were the stars of the show early season, now what are they doing? Godfrey, who is arguably the signing of the season, made a big error leading to their best chance in the Villa game and played a hand in their winner today. 

I am struggling to think of how many players have improved this season. I suspect a lot more have got worse.