IGNORED

Matheus Nunes

Selling someone this financial year could help. This is what Burnley & Leeds were moaning about as we have put down a lot of deductions based on not able to sell players thanks to Covid. So selling someone like Richarlison would be a "see, we told you!". Plus it would make the losses from the last three years look a lot better.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Shame we didn’t pay him the 2mil a week as the papers were reporting. Would have saved a fortune when we let him go.

I was regretting letting him go when we were uncertain of safety as I think he would have won us enough points.

however, if someone said “get rid and you will still survive “. I would do it.

the only difference between James and the toxic element that still need ejecting from the club is that he was a class player. Having a £200k a week player picking and choosing when he plays?  No fuckin chance.  And yes it did happen, we seen him sub himself.   He’s been abysmal in Qatar 

33 minutes ago, Shukes said:

April to April over here, so we have entered a new year. So FFP will be calculated on the last two seasons and this coming season.

So we do have some money to spend, due to us holding back last season.

I thought that was the case. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Are we not into the next financial year now? So effectively if we manage to get money in as part of the sake that appears as profit/income…. With us being very transparent with the EPL we can say “if we spend £100m this summer this will be offset by x on our books do we will be fine?”

We are but the period isn't closed. I don't believe it counts month end to month end. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

So we do have some money to spend, due to us holding back last season.

You only basically calculate deprecation into loss, not the transfer value of player. This is how things work in bookkeeping everywhere. If a company invests in, say, a machine, cost of that machine is not loss. Instead they add the value of that machine to assets. But the machine loses value and this can cause a loss if it is not offset by increased revenue.

In football, usually player's value is deprecated during his contract. And many of our expensive players are still on their first contracts so their values need to be deprecated. On the other hand we will see quite a drop in deprecations because both Sigurdsson (~9m/a) and Tosun (6m/a) are removed plus their wages (and that of Delph as well, his value deprecation was only 2m/a).

But as has been said, FFP is calculated over three seasons and we made a big loss in the previous two. Last season should already have been much better since Walcott (5m/a deprecation + 5m/pa wages), (Bolasie, 6m/a + 4m/a) and we saved a lot of money on wages on James and Bernard (around 15m/a in total). Selling Digne also looks good in the books as his book value wasn't much anymore having signed in 2018 (book value has to obviously be deducted when a player is sold so transfer fee is not directly just profit).

But I suspect we will still be far from profitable considering how big the losses have been.

6 minutes ago, Makis said:

You only basically calculate deprecation into loss, not the transfer value of player. This is how things work in bookkeeping everywhere. If a company invests in, say, a machine, cost of that machine is not loss. Instead they add the value of that machine to assets. But the machine loses value and this can cause a loss if it is not offset by increased revenue.

In football, usually player's value is deprecated during his contract. And many of our expensive players are still on their first contracts so their values need to be deprecated. On the other hand we will see quite a drop in deprecations because both Sigurdsson (~9m/a) and Tosun (6m/a) are removed plus their wages (and that of Delph as well, his value deprecation was only 2m/a).

But as has been said, FFP is calculated over three seasons and we made a big loss in the previous two. Last season should already have been much better since Walcott (5m/a deprecation + 5m/pa wages), (Bolasie, 6m/a + 4m/a) and we saved a lot of money on wages on James and Bernard (around 15m/a in total). Selling Digne also looks good in the books as his book value wasn't much anymore having signed in 2018 (book value has to obviously be deducted when a player is sold so transfer fee is not directly just profit).

But I suspect we will still be far from profitable considering how big the losses have been.

Great post Makis. A good example of your depreciation statement is that Richie is valued at $14M on the books..so if we sell him for say 60M we make our situation better because whoever we replace him with would not have (for arguments sake) £60M hitting the books in year 1.

I posted an article from the Esk earlier this month where he highlighted the problem caused by the rolling 3 years (actually 4 as two years are combined due to COVID). The year that is rolling off is only a £13M loss but it is being replaced in the calculation by a projected £78M loss (projected as books not closed/final).

So we are in an even bigger hole before the wages of Tosun/Gylfi et al are removed.

I agree with all of that Makis totally.

But FFP is worked out over a three year period. So the third year has to be calculated by the clubs P@L predictions. 
This will then get divided into the previous two years with considerations taken for Covid implications. 

The club, working with those figures then will have a good idea of what they have to spend for the coming season. 

They will already have a figure that can be spent. 

We also have to consider that the high profile players that have a low value due to depreciation, can be sold for a lot more than their book worth. Giving us extra spending power from the offset.

Example Richie.
Book worth 16m. 
Sell for 60m. 

That gives us money to spend. Now we can’t go out and. Buy a 60m player with that, but we don’t need to.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

We also have to consider that the high profile players that have a low value due to depreciation, can be sold for a lot more than their book worth. Giving us extra spending power from the offset.

Example Richie.
Book worth 16m. 
Sell for 60m. 

That gives us money to spend. Now we can’t go out and. Buy a 60m player with that, but we don’t need to.

Is that not what I already said 😂😂

A good example of your depreciation statement is that Richie is valued at $14M on the books..so if we sell him for say 60M we make our situation better because whoever we replace him with would not have (for arguments sake) £60M hitting the books in year 

9 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

A good example of your depreciation statement is that Richie is valued at $14M on the books..so if we sell him for say 60M we make our situation better because whoever we replace him with would not have (for arguments sake) £60M hitting the books in year 

Except the books aren't considered in FFP until end of the financial year, next April. So we can't just go out and spend, there's a loooot of ground to make up even if we do make a massive profit on Richie

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Except the books aren't considered in FFP until end of the financial year, next April. So we can't just go out and spend, there's a loooot of ground to make up even if we do make a massive profit on Richie

Exactly. Like I said the year that is rolling off had a massively lower loss than the year that is going to get added. 

EC333F7D-0E2D-42C9-8D42-5DE4035B4DB5.jpeg

On 17/06/2022 at 15:32, Shukes said:

Example Richie.
Book worth 16m. 
Sell for 60m. 

21 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Will it work like that though?

Its unlikely whoever buys Richarlison will pay in a single lump sum. They are normally paid for in installments, say £20mil across 3 years for arguments sake.

Would the impact really be £60mil straight on the first relevent set of accounts or would it be £20mil across each of the next 3 years' worth of accounts?

Just now, Bailey said:

Will it work like that though?

Its unlikely whoever buys Richarlison will pay in a single lump sum. They are normally paid for in installments, say £20mil across 3 years for arguments sake.

Would the impact really be £60mil straight on the first relevent set of accounts or would it be £20mil across each of the next 3 years' worth of accounts?

Your right, depends on structure. The same would be for any player coming in as well though.

13 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Are we not losing the 111m and replacing it with the covid adjusted one? 

The way I understand it is that until ALL covid affected years are completely passed through FPP then you continue to combine 4yrs not 3yrs of accounts. 

So we need to be thinking about Year Ending 19, 20, 21 and 22

YE2018 (13M losses) will roll off and be replaced by 22 (projected at this stage so who knows how accurate that is. 

• 1 month later...