IGNORED

Mathew Hoppe

Yes, please. Honestly didn’t know much about him before the turn of the year, but he is a menace and shows himself for the ball. I also think he has the physicality so slide into the PL quickly. See him as a great backup to DCL with added bonus of him being young enough to grow/challenge for the starting spot in the future. He works hard so I can see him being someone that works well under Rafa. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Speaking as an American fan, it is the club’s connection with U.S. players that initially attracted me to Everton.

same, tim howard for me.  landon donovan after him, and recently antonee robinson through our academy.  it's a big market and we would be smart IF we sign Hoppe to make overtures there.  play some more friendlys there, stage an event, etc.  americans change their loyalties all the time, it could be that easy to win over some new fans.

30 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

same, tim howard for me.  landon donovan after him, and recently antonee robinson through our academy.  it's a big market and we would be smart IF we sign Hoppe to make overtures there.  play some more friendlys there, stage an event, etc.  americans change their loyalties all the time, it could be that easy to win over some new fans.

The Florida Cup was a step in that direction though obviously didn’t come off as we had hoped. 

I don’t think it’s that we change loyalties here so much. Nobody is switching from the Red Sox to the Yankees or from the Packers to the Cowboys. It’s just that most American sports fans don’t have a “soccer” team, or if they do it’s a passing interest. Either way though that leaves a lot of potential supporters up for grabs and, as you mention, we’d be smart to capitalize. 

On 16/08/2021 at 09:26, SpartyBlue said:

The Florida Cup was a step in that direction though obviously didn’t come off as we had hoped. 

I don’t think it’s that we change loyalties here so much. Nobody is switching from the Red Sox to the Yankees or from the Packers to the Cowboys. It’s just that most American sports fans don’t have a “soccer” team, or if they do it’s a passing interest. Either way though that leaves a lot of potential supporters up for grabs and, as you mention, we’d be smart to capitalize. 

Especially since we are about to lose a significant amount of interest from South America. I've heard/read around $5M, but even that if true, is a bargain, even if it's only to sign and place on a Championship loan. 

Selfishly I'd of course like a Yank on the team, but there is the off the field considerations mentioned above, vis-a-vis a largely untapped US market.