IGNORED

Manchester United away (October 2)

Cornish Steve

46 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

So far, the only teams we've beaten are in the bottom five. This will be the first real indication of what our season will be like.

Last season we had a habit of losing to bottom five teams so there's progress for you.

That said, I'm fearful be may get humiliated; just hope we're not destroyed.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

So far, the only teams we've beaten are in the bottom five. This will be the first real indication of what our season will be like.

Brighton could go top this evening!!! and we beat them away.  So not quite right. but agree we have had an relatively easy start fixtures wise. 

Don't think you can forget our preceding results and then make judgement of likely season based on how an injury ravaged side playing away to Man U. 

9 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Brighton could go top this evening!!! and we beat them away.  So not quite right. but agree we have had an relatively easy start fixtures wise. 

Don't think you can forget our preceding results and then make judgement of likely season based on how an injury ravaged side playing away to Man U. 

You're quite right. I overlooked Brighton.

6 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Think DCL is more likely to be fit than Richy

Been some footage of Richarlison in the gym and he is looking okay. We’re going to need at least one of them though to even stand a chance of getting something from this but they do have a tricky midweek game that they need to win so it’s a good time to play them.

I am a little worried about this game because it will be our third game against an attacking side and in the last two games against those type of sides we have conceded 5 goals (Leeds & Villa). United are a cut above them both.

I think we will continue to pose a threat to any side that commits too many bodies forward, because we can be devastating on the counter attack so I can see United being a bit cautious. The onus will be on them to attack given their recent results, and they will have played midweek. I fancy another high scoring game.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I am a little worried about this game because it will be our third game against an attacking side and in the last two games against those type of sides we have conceded 5 goals (Leeds & Villa). United are a cut above them both.

I think we will continue to pose a threat to any side that commits too many bodies forward, because we can be devastating on the counter attack so I can see United being a bit cautious. The onus will be on them to attack given their recent results, and they will have played midweek. I fancy another high scoring game.

I think @Btay has a point too about the midweek game. Having lost their first against Young Boys, they'll likely put in their first team XI tomorrow, and then we have the early game on Saturday. Could be some tired legs.

I'm not worried in the slightest. This game will be setup as 2 banks of 5 to piss them off. Even the fans who don't like Rafa should be comfortable, this is a perfect game for the tedious defensive football they complain about :P

Seriously though, and I know this sounds bad, considering our injuries we have to set up to contain with 1 point being the main objective and hopefully steal all 3. I think that approach should be something we can do well. 

time will tell but I am cautiously optimistic even if expectations are low. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm not worried in the slightest. This game will be setup as 2 banks of 5 to piss them off. Even the fans who don't like Rafa should be comfortable, this is a perfect game for the tedious defensive football they complain about :P

Seriously though, and I know this sounds bad, considering our injuries we have to set up to contain with 1 point being the main objective and hopefully steal all 3. I think that approach should be something we can do well. 

time will tell but I am cautiously optimistic even if expectations are low. 

Agree we’ll need to set up that way, but I’m very worried about this one. 

Good time to play them as they're playing tonight in the Champions League away in Spain and need to win as they lost to Young Boys. Hopefully there will be a few tired legs in their camp come the weekend and we can exploit. 

Would take a 0-0 (or any draw) all day long though as Old Trafford is such a difficult place to go. Just hoping we can run the midfield as that's where they're weakest and nick a goal or two. 

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I actually don't know if I'd rather United win or lose tonight. If they lose, it would be 4 losses in 5 for them. Instead of being demoralizing, I'd be worried it might inspire them to give us a right ass-kicking on Saturday.

Think I'd rather see them play out an exhausting, drab 0-0 draw

It’s on its way. Villarreal are giving them some real head aches - sitting deep with a compact & organised defensive structure and then breaking quickly forward. 
More clinical uptop and they probably have a 3 goal lead right now. 

If we can get ourselves sorted defensively I think we have enough pace in the team to hurt them.

7 minutes ago, Btay said:

It’s on its way. Villarreal are giving them some real head aches - sitting deep with a compact & organised defensive structure and then breaking quickly forward. 
More clinical uptop and they probably have a 3 goal lead right now. 

If we can get ourselves sorted defensively I think we have enough pace in the team to hurt them.

Sounds like Danjuma is the stand-out so far - €25m from Bournemouth in the summer - another one we were linked to.

21 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Even if richy is fit I’d be reticent to play him as a number 9. He’s far more potent running from a bit deeper but I suppose we don’t have much alternative. I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet with all their attacking players 

Funny, I can see us keeping a clean sheet, but don't expect us to put any goals in ourselves. Only way we get a result is 0-0 or 1-0