IGNORED

Brentford (H) FA Cup 4th round Sat 5th Feb 15:00

FairWooney

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Having watched the game yesterday and deciding to make no comments during or after the game until I’d had time to take it all in a digest it properly. 
Imo the win was far more important than the display which wasn’t as a good as the score would suggest. It wasn’t an accomplished team game more a game of isolated individual good play from certain players, the better goal was Townsend’s in it’s build up with more control and movement of the ball involving more players a good team goal. There was little understanding in the defence and no link from the defence to the midfield, but a poor Brentford side didn’t capitalise on that, the best team player for me was Gomes he provided the link between the midfield and the 3 up top and controlled the ball well. Overall we got the win we were so desperate for and will help our confidence no end, first game from Lampard and he would have learned a lot from that and I believe we will see steady improvement’s with him the more games we play. Newcastle will be a very different game and a difficult one for the defence but we stand a far better chance after yesterday’s performance than we did a week ago. 

I thought the opposite. 

I saw a team, not polished by any means, that defended and attacked together. Gomes and Allan were constantly linking with the centre backs, the full backs were offering early width too and we controlled the game on the whole. 

I do think the scoreline was somewhat flattering, which happens with two set piece goals, but I dont think anyone can argue that we deserved the win. Brentford barely had a sniff.

Under Benitez we had 10 headless chickens who could barely pass to a teammate under no pressure. Under Lampard not only could they pass to a teammate, they did it quickly and higher up the pitch. 

I also thought the 5 at the back was the most cohesive I have seen our defence for a while (especially after the early Godfrey set back), but it is also the best I have seen them as a 5 for as long as I can remember. 

It is only one game and it was only Brentford, but at least we turned up and beat them in the way we should have done in the league. 

7 hours ago, Formby said:

Anyone else got a stange feeling about this year? Lampard leading the team out at Wembley? Not sure why, but I do. Let's see how long it lasts!

Even stranger feeling, Lampard leading them out at Bramley-Moore. The boy does good and he might just fancy that!

10 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Although got one or two fortunate breaks in this (which I guess you get in most 30 pass build ups), but everybody just seems to now want the ball and will be willing to move in anticipation that they just might get it!!! 

its in its infancy, but definitely shows the players are capable when they try, at least against teams in the lower part of Premiership. Get through this season and just develop the style and weed out those in the summer who don't or can't fit with it.