IGNORED

Brentford (H) FA Cup 4th round Sat 5th Feb 15:00

FairWooney

This just highlights the clusterfuck that was the previous manager, Lampard is everything this club should aspire to and more. From easily the worst team in the league (IMO) to being 4-1 up against Premier League opposition, with their goal being a penalty.

We've looked brilliant all afternoon, absolutely fantastic. Play like this every week and those relegations fears are but distant memories.

Whilst there will be bigger tests to come, I dont think you can be anything but positive about that performance. 

That is easily the best I have seen us with 5 at the back. We played actual football, Gomes in particular was as good as I have ever seen him, and whilst it might not have been a chance fest, we created enough and made the most of those chances. It was just solid football where better player outplayed their counterparts. 

I also don't think anyone played particularly badly. Pickford was probably the worst of the bunch. Gomes just about edged MOTM for me but you could name 5 or 6 players easily.

From Townsend post match interview. 

Townsend revealed new First-Team coach Paul Clement has taken control of attacking and defending set pieces.

"Clem has come in and taken charge of the set pieces," revealed Townsend. "We've worked this week on it and had a meeting this morning, so we tried to leave no stone unturned. 

I would love to know what was going on before Paul Clement took control. One simple aspect of the game and you go from conceding to scoring. Not rocket science.

Just watched the highlights. We looked like we had some real intent going forward. At some point we will get caught and punished playing like this, but what's important is the players learn to deal with it and not let it knock their confidence.

I think Gray, Gordon, Richarlison and DCL could benefit massively under Lampard. If Gordon's first half strike would have gone in that would have been some goal and one of real intent from him. He really is growing in every game even despite the club's current circumstances. Just needs to add some more goals this half of the season if he gets enough chance when Dom returns.

Last night I subscribed to ESPN+ so I could watch the game, which I did. For what they're worth, I have several observations.

The game was rather scrappy on the whole. Brentford are not the team who launched themselves impressively on the Prem back in August; they're clearly at a Championship level and might soon join the relegation scrap. They were an excellent first opponent for the new manager, but I'm not going to read too much into the final scoreline. Things are different, but Rome wasn't built in a day - and the damage done over the last six months won't be fixed for some time.

The biggest impression I had can best be explained by way of analogy. Imagine an overbearing parent who wants their child to become an artist and purchases a paint-by-numbers book. On the first page, the image is a waterfall, and the child starts to paint. But the parent insists they use colours in a certain sequence, that they never ever cross over the lines, explaining that it's all a matter of following the rules to ensure the same outcome every time. The child had been looking forward to painting and knows they have the imagination and technique to create wonderful pictures, but the parent corrects them every time they stray from the rules. No creativity. No exceptions. Just follow the rules and all will be well. The child's talent is stifled, becomes hesitant because the results are not what's expected, and begins to lose heart.

Next door lives someone who isn't a teacher who paints by numbers but instead is one of the best artists in the area. They've made mistakes, experimented, tried new techniques and use of color, and achieved fame by being creative and focusing on what they do best. This parent lets the child experiment and learn their strengths and then encourages the child on how best to use their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. It's how this parent learned, and it's invigorating and exciting.

For six months, Everton have endured a paint-by-numbers manager. Players were expected to follow the rules he laid down and to stifle their frustration. Yes, their talent shone through at times, but only in occasional glimpses. Now, though, we have a manager who wants them to "enjoy the ball", to be themselves, to make the most of their talent, bringing in an impressive team of coaches so no detail is overlooked. That must be liberating and reassuring - and that's what I saw today. Here was a team whose chains just fell off, whose players could be themselves, and could now see a path to winning. Maybe it's an attitude thing, but I think we already heard the key words from one of Lampard's interviews. As with all top managers, he promised to lead by empowering the players, supporting them, doing whatever is needed to get the best from them: empowering players rather than exerting power over them. This is real leadership.

Pickford has a terrible game, but that's OK: I'd much rather that he had an off-day today and not in a league match. Godfrey's injury was a real blow, but it opened the door for Mina, who had an excellent game. Keane went mostly unnoticed, but I thought he was quite solid today. Holgate was a different player, maybe because he had a different attitude, and I'm pleased he scored. Mykolenko started a little hesitant and nervy, as any new young player might, but he grew into the game and demonstrated considerable potential. Coleman was OK but nothing special, I thought.

Midfield is where everything was different. With chains off, Gomes was a different player and quite commanding. Allan as always had a good game, and his pass to Richarlison for the second goal was sublime. I understand the frustration some others have with Gray: He's a wonderful talent but he's becoming too selfish and lacks that killer finishing instinct. Gordon, on the other hand, is improving in leaps and bounds. In another thread, someone asked what will happen to Gordon when DC-L returns and Dele and van de Beek start. The answer is nothing: it's Gray who should become an impact sub. Richarlison remains hit and miss, although you can't fault his energy. I'm hoping the new coaching team will help him to make much more of his positional instincts and natural abilities.

As I mentioned earlier in the week, the videos of FF training sessions revealed that Tosun really wants to do well in the new regime. I'm so pleased he was given ten minutes of playing time and that he was a big reason for the fourth goal. Townsend will get the credit, and it was a nice strike, but I would say it was more Tosun's goal.

I confess that I was a little nervous seeing all the dinking around in defence in the final quarter. On two occasions, we came perilously close to giving the ball away, and better teams would have capitalized on those rather loose passes. Clearly, we're going to rely more on possession play, including passing our way out of defence. There will be no more hoof balls in the hope that DC-L might score from one of them. That, though, will take time to perfect, and I suspect we'll lose points in some of our coming games as we switch to this different style of play. Once it's established, though, we should become an attractive team to watch and a fearsome one to play.

One swallow does not a summer make, and one victory against a poor team does not survival mean, but it's an excellent start. Tuesday night will be a much bigger test, and I'm hoping the confidence that will come from today's victory will carry us over the line to another win.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Last night I subscribed to ESPN+ so I could watch the game, which I did. For what they're worth, I have several observations.

The game was rather scrappy on the whole. Brentford are not the team who launched themselves impressively on the Prem back in August; they're clearly at a Championship level and might soon join the relegation scrap. They were an excellent first opponent for the new manager, but I'm not going to read too much into the final scoreline. Things are different, but Rome wasn't built in a day - and the damage done over the last six months won't be fixed for some time.

The biggest impression I had can best be explained by way of analogy. Imagine an overbearing parent who wants their child to become an artist and purchases a paint-by-numbers book. On the first page, the image is a waterfall, and the child starts to paint. But the parent insists they use colours in a certain sequence, that they never ever cross over the lines, explaining that it's all a matter of following the rules to ensure the same outcome every time. The child had been looking forward to painting and knows they have the imagination and technique to create wonderful pictures, but the parent corrects them every time they stray from the rules. No creativity. No exceptions. Just follow the rules and all will be well. The child's talent is stifled, becomes hesitant because the results are not what's expected, and begins to lose heart.

Next door lives someone who isn't a teacher who paints by numbers but instead is one of the best artists in the area. They've made mistakes, experimented, tried new techniques and use of color, and achieved fame by being creative and focusing on what they do best. This parent lets the child experiment and learn their strengths and then encourages the child on how best to use their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. It's how this parent learned, and it's invigorating and exciting.

For six months, Everton have endured a paint-by-numbers manager. Players were expected to follow the rules he laid down and to stifle their frustration. Yes, their talent shone through at times, but only in occasional glimpses. Now, though, we have a manager who wants them to "enjoy the ball", to be themselves, to make the most of their talent, bringing in an impressive team of coaches so no detail is overlooked. That must be liberating and reassuring - and that's what I saw today. Here was a team whose chains just fell off, whose players could be themselves, and could now see a path to winning. Maybe it's an attitude thing, but I think we already heard the key words from one of Lampard's interviews. As with all top managers, he promised to lead by empowering the players, supporting them, doing whatever is needed to get the best from them: empowering players rather than exerting power over them. This is real leadership.

Pickford has a terrible game, but that's OK: I'd much rather that he had an off-day today and not in a league match. Godfrey's injury was a real blow, but it opened the door for Mina, who had an excellent game. Keane went mostly unnoticed, but I thought he was quite solid today. Holgate was a different player, maybe because he had a different attitude, and I'm pleased he scored. Mykolenko started a little hesitant and nervy, as any new young player might, but he grew into the game and demonstrated considerable potential. Coleman was OK but nothing special, I thought.

Midfield is where everything was different. With chains off, Gomes was a different player and quite commanding. Allan as always had a good game, and his pass to Richarlison for the second goal was sublime. I understand the frustration some others have with Gray: He's a wonderful talent but he's becoming too selfish and lacks that killer finishing instinct. Gordon, on the other hand, is improving in leaps and bounds. In another thread, someone asked what will happen to Gordon when DC-L returns and Dele and van de Beek start. The answer is nothing: it's Gray who should become an impact sub. Richarlison remains hit and miss, although you can't fault his energy. I'm hoping the new coaching team will help him to make much more of his positional instincts and natural abilities.

As I mentioned earlier in the week, the videos of FF training sessions revealed that Tosun really wants to do well in the new regime. I'm so pleased he was given ten minutes of playing time and that he was a big reason for the fourth goal. Townsend will get the credit, and it was a nice strike, but I would say it was more Tosun's goal.

I confess that I was a little nervous seeing all the dinking around in defence in the final quarter. On two occasions, we came perilously close to giving the ball away, and better teams would have capitalized on those rather loose passes. Clearly, we're going to rely more on possession play, including passing our way out of defence. There will be no more hoof balls in the hope that DC-L might score from one of them. That, though, will take time to perfect, and I suspect we'll lose points in some of our coming games as we switch to this different style of play. Once it's established, though, we should become an attractive team to watch and a fearsome one to play.

One swallow does not a summer make, and one victory against a poor team does not survival mean, but it's an excellent start. Tuesday night will be a much bigger test, and I'm hoping the confidence that will come from today's victory will carry us over the line to another win.

Jesus Steve you’ve just written your second book 😂

Having watched the game yesterday and deciding to make no comments during or after the game until I’d had time to take it all in a digest it properly. 
Imo the win was far more important than the display which wasn’t as a good as the score would suggest. It wasn’t an accomplished team game more a game of isolated individual good play from certain players, the better goal was Townsend’s in it’s build up with more control and movement of the ball involving more players a good team goal. There was little understanding in the defence and no link from the defence to the midfield, but a poor Brentford side didn’t capitalise on that, the best team player for me was Gomes he provided the link between the midfield and the 3 up top and controlled the ball well. Overall we got the win we were so desperate for and will help our confidence no end, first game from Lampard and he would have learned a lot from that and I believe we will see steady improvement’s with him the more games we play. Newcastle will be a very different game and a difficult one for the defence but we stand a far better chance after yesterday’s performance than we did a week ago.