IGNORED

Brentford (H) FA Cup 4th round Sat 5th Feb 15:00

FairWooney

A bit early on this as I was thinking it was this week but now i see we have a week off this week.  Good timing with the manager situation

This would be my line up based on current availability

Begovic

Patterson     Branthwaite    Godfrey    Mykolenko

Allan     Onyango    Gomes

Gordon             Richarlison        Gray

Tough call to drop one of the front 4 but I think we need the presence in midfield that we've been begging for.  Also as Brentford play 3-5-2 I think we need to match them in the middle and play with pace to counter them and expose their back 3.

I know we may not be fussed about the FA cup given our current predicament but I think this is enough change giving the full backs a chance to impress and get some more game time and give Onyango a go.

I'd probably go Godfrey rather than Mina just becaue of how injury prone Mina is.  I think there's really good pace in that side with Patterson and Mykolenko able to overlap and support Gray and Gordon and Richarlison also able to run at them.

Brentford are typically strong in the air which is why i'd favour playing on the floor pace running at them.

I'm ignoring Gbamin purely because the mangers seem to anyway!

7 hours ago, FairWooney said:

A bit early on this as I was thinking it was this week but now i see we have a week off this week.  Good timing with the manager situation

Begovic

Tough call to drop one of the front 4 but I think we need the presence in midfield that we've been begging for.  Also as Brentford play 3-5-2 I think we need to match them in the middle and play with pace to counter them and expose their back 3.

I know we may not be fussed about the FA cup given our current predicament but I think this is enough change giving the full backs a chance to impress and get some more game time and give Onyango a go.

I'd probably go Godfrey rather than Mina just becaue of how injury prone Mina is.  I think there's really good pace in that side with Patterson and Mykolenko able to overlap and support Gray and Gordon and Richarlison also able to run at them.

Brentford are typically strong in the air which is why i'd favour playing on the floor pace running at them.

I'm ignoring Gbamin purely because the mangers seem to anyway!

I don’t think the manager can send out that back 4 with such little experience to be honest. I want to see it though. I think either Coleman or Keane would start in place of one of them. 

We can’t afford an injury to Allan as well so I think Gbamin may grace us with his presence….

5 hours ago, RPG said:

Priority is to ensure Premier League survival so play the kids or reserves where we can and keep our fingers crossed.

Begovich

Coleman  Branthwaite  Godfrey  Mykolenko

Gbamin  Onyango  Gomes

Gordon            Simms               Dobbin

Fookin hell. 😂

1 hour ago, RPG said:

Priority is to ensure Premier League survival so play the kids or reserves where we can and keep our fingers crossed.

Begovich

Coleman  Branthwaite  Godfrey  Mykolenko

Gbamin  Onyango  Gomes

Gordon            Simms               Dobbin

We need to play DCL he needs the minutes and every opportunity to get on the score sheet. 

Im not sure quite how thick and fast the games come after this but we desperately need some momentum and the players will need game time under their new manager. 

I think we will need to go as strong as we can with maybe some of the more fragile players (e.g. Mina) staying at home.

1 hour ago, RPG said:

Yes, I know. Probably get a sound, trousers down, thrashing. But I'd rather risk that than play Allan, DCL, Gray, Townsend Richy and Mina and see one or two of them pull up lame. The point about DCL needing minutes, made by Palfy, is fair comment. I would bring him off the bench or if he has to start, tell him he is coming off at half time.

We need to start winning games, we don't want to send an Everton team out to get a thrashing.

Winning games breeds confidence and we need it more than anything else at the moment, the best team available should play.

On 25/01/2022 at 11:06, FairWooney said:

Begovic

I'd play Welch in defence for the experience. Don't risk Allan but give Whitaker a game. Make this the farewell appearance for Rondon, Tosun, and El Ghazi? :)

Really, though, I would let as many youngsters play as possible, giving them an opportunity to make their case to the new manager.

Begovic

Patterson     Branthwaite    Welch    Mykolenko

Whitaker    Onyango    Gomes

Dobbin         DC-L       Richarlison

And then focus 100 percent on avoiding relegation.

Now we appear to have a manager who means business, he'll want to make the best impression possible during his first game at home. That calls for a radical change in my suggested lineup. Still 4-3-3, though.

Begovic

Patterson     Keane    Godfrey    Mykolenko

Gordon     Allan       Onyango

Grey         DC-L      Richarlison

1 hour ago, FairWooney said:

Van De Beek is cup tied by the way, came on as a sub in the 3rd round.

Christian Eriken is a new signing for Brentford, expect he'll be on the bench having not played in a long time.  Good to see him back and a good signing for Brentford if he can stay healthy and get back to half the player he was for Spurs

Just saw that and am happy for him. I honestly wish we would’ve gotten him. He’s quality. 

On 27/01/2022 at 01:02, Bailey said:

Im not sure quite how thick and fast the games come after this but we desperately need some momentum and the players will need game time under their new manager. 

I think we will need to go as strong as we can with maybe some of the more fragile players (e.g. Mina) staying at home.

We leaving Keane at home as well then yeah?

18 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think this might be typically how fans are feeling, that should come over in the atmosphere. 

It'll be nice to actually welcome the manager when he's introduced before the game as well.

Last time I was tempted to miss the start of the game so I didn't even have to hear it, but I was actually there for it and stayed seated and silent :lol:.

8 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'd be surprised if it's a clean sheet. Instead, I envisage an entertaining game with Everton outscoring Brentford. It's such a shame that FA Cup games are not broadcast in the US.

I expect everyone to be brought back down to earth with a thump. A clean sheet would be a sign of progress.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'd be surprised if it's a clean sheet. Instead, I envisage an entertaining game with Everton outscoring Brentford. It's such a shame that FA Cup games are not broadcast in the US.

Same if we sent out Patterson, Branthwaite, Welch and Mykolenko 😂

I think if Patterson plays I’d like to see Townsend out there on the right as he is the only real nature left footer to allow Patterson to operate in that space on the overlap. I would also think Mykolenko would be set up a bit more defensively minded but can’t be sure. 

We need Allan fresh, especially while Douc’s is injured - hopefully Allan, Dele & DVB start against Newcastle. Onyango deserves a run but I don’t hold much hope with Gomes & Gbamin but needs must.

Gray on at halftime if need be but we really need him for Newcastle.

If Holgate/Keane could be either really.

Begovic 

Patterson  Holgate  Godfrey Mykolenko

Gbamin      Gomes    Onyango 

Townsend      Richarlison         Gordon 

Cup game out of international break with crucial league game on Tuesday - this game is so difficult to say what XI is best. Senior players need game action off the layoff before Newcastle but not too much they lose their legs, youngsters need an opportunity, most of midfield hurt or cup-tied. Dont envy Frank here being his first game and all. 

I think the result is important. I think its a real chance to set the tone. Its clearly not as important as the league, but most of them haven't played for at two weeks and I am just worried about how kicking things off with a demoralising loss might knock us back a little.

I get the reservations about the game coming in midweek so I am not expecting our absolute best team but I expect the majority to play. It would be the likes of Allan and Coleman that I would hold back rather than a Gray, Richarlison etc.

Brentford are essentially still a Championship squad and we need to beat them. 

27 minutes ago, RPG said:

Ok, So it's all changed a bit!

Pickford

Coleman. Keane. Mina. Godfrey

Allan.   

Gray.        Alli.   vd Beek.    Richarlison

DCL

DCL is out injured, Alli and Donny are cup tied. So get it changed again.

26 minutes ago, RPG said:

Small points, well presented!

Pickford

Coleman. Keane. Mina. Godfrey

Allan  Gomes

Gray.         Townsend.     Richarlison

Dobbin

I will be pissed off if we go with 2 in midfield again, it’s been the cause of our downfall.

2 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I will be pissed off if we go with 2 in midfield again, it’s been the cause of our downfall.

semantics really, that line up though not my choice has Townsend in the middle who would essentially be playing midfield, by 3 midfield players it's not that you need to 3 people stood on the half way line tackling as long as your attacking mid is someone that will work and get involved further back up the field, press the opposition, and be there further back in build up play.  Ie not like a Rodriguez really is just wanting to be involved in attack.

RPG's initial line up with Ali and VDB along with Allan was also 3 in midfield but that one could be said to be depicted as only 1 in midfield!

-

It'll be interesting to see if Gbamin impresses Lampy enough this week to get a run out or if anyone else like Onyango can get in.