IGNORED

Leeds (Home) 12th February

FairWooney

The first of the two games this week didn't go well, a pretty poor performance and I felt that Newcastle buoyed by the big home support were beating us to 50/50's and generally looking that bit more up for it than us.  We seemed so much more sloppy than at the weekend though that may also be down to the extra pressure that Newcastle were putting on us all over the pitch compared to Brentford.

I'm going to assume that Gray and Mina will both be out.  Crossing fingers that Mykolenko will be back.

Pickford

Coleman/Patterson    Keane   Holgate     Mykolenko

Allan          VDB

Dele

Gordon             DCL                 Richarlison

I think we need to move to a 4-3-3 this week, partly because of the defensive injuries and partly because it will better allow us to bring in the new midfield players.

DCL should hopefully be fit enough to start now, and with Gray out this works out fine with Richarlison moving back over to the wing.

Dele didn't impress me much last night but neither did Gomes so it would be good to work on getting VDB and Dele working and getting fully integrated into the team and match fit.

It would be good to see Patterson finally get a game but so far it seems neither Ferguson or Lampard has deemed him ready to take Coleman's place in either league or FA cup.

If Mykolenko isn't fit I'm struggling for who should play there, Coleman struggled at first when he played there a few weeks ago but settled in ok defensively in the end and kenny came on there the other day so I'd probably rather one of those plays there than Townsend try to fit in.  Against Ayling and Raphina we need someone who can do a good defensive job.

I was just watching ToffeeTV, and one of the points I agree with from them is about the effect that the fans can have on the players for the remainder of the season (at least, and especially, the home games).

We all know how fragile this team is. So the best thing we, as fans, can do is get behind the team as much as we can. If we go behind or players make mistakes, the worst thing we can do is turn Goodison into a Groan-Drome. We really need to get behind the players, not only because I think they are 'weak' in this regard, but also because I think that they can and will respond to positive encouragement. To put it in other words: They are a sensitive bunch! 😂   

But we have to find a way to (I hate to say it) avoid a relegation battle. As I read elsewhere (and agree), I don't believe these players have it in them to go out on the last day of the season (against Arsenal, by the way) and have the fight to stay in the league. 

We as fans, between now and the end of the season, can play a role in making sure that we get behind the team no matter what and create an atmosphere that lifts our team, and makes the visiting team feel that pressure. (We saw a good example of that from the Newcastle fans yesterday! And I think we also saw it from our fans at the weekend).

We're all in this together, we need to secure safety for next season; and as soon as we do that, we can start thinking about restructuring for next season - players in/out, DoF, etc.

The fans can play a huge role in how the rest of the season plays out - that's what Goodison is famous/infamous for!

A disappointing result last Tuesday, but nothing we haven't seen before. We know we can do better (and I suppose that is where the frustration comes from).

So, lets remember: the fans make Goodison a fortress, not the players. If they can't keep us up, we must! :)

Leeds are such an awkward team to play. They run through walls, they play differently to the rest of the league but thankfully they have few players of any real quality. 

Firstly I think we have to match them for energy and determination. It makes me nervous when I see Alli, DVB or Gomes in a line-up in a game like that. My preference would be for DVB purely because he potentially has the technical quality to help us play through Leeds' press. Gomes is a liability on and off the ball under pressure and I don't trust Alli to fight the way we need him too. I can see him as a game changer later on, beating his man. Allan has to start.

I think the CBs pick themselves. Branthwaite is still very raw and this isnt the game for him. Holgate and Keane will have to do. Hopefully Mykolenko is back otherwise it will need to be Kenny IMO. He has done alright in that position and will do a better job than anyone else. Can only back Coleman to start at RB given how little we have seen of Patterson.

The front three should hopefully pick themselves with Dom leading the line and Richie and Gordon wider. 

Leeds have just drawn 3-3 away to Villa with 14 attempts at goal and 8 on target, they also enjoyed 63% possession, doesn’t look so easy for us now does it, and after that we are away to Southampton who just beat Spurs away 2-3. No easy games in this league we need to get 3 points from this game a point may prove not enough come the end of the season. 

9 hours ago, Sibdane said:

A win here would go a long way. I’m not feeling optimistic though. 

This is why I said the Newcastle game was a must not lose game.

The confidence that the fans and players had built with the Brentford win has been decimated now. Fans will be going to this game on Saturday nervous and that could translate into the atmosphere in the stands, and we know the players are sensitive to this sort of thing and they'll be nervous themselves anyway after Tuesday.

The Newcastle game was (only) a must not lose but we lost it which now makes this game a must win. Lets see how the fans and players handle that sort of pressure...

We simply have top make the extra days rest count against Leeds at the weekend, and also have the crowd behind the team just like Newcastle did to us. 

If Leeds run themselves in to the ground last night for a result, then they will do well to have legs for the full 90min at the weekend. We need to take full advantage of 24hr more recovery. 

On 10/02/2022 at 00:49, Sibdane said:

A win here would go a long way. I’m not feeling optimistic though. 

Likewise. I just can't see where a win is coming from. Teams below us picking up points and all playing better. I do think we have the front players to score and get out of this but they need some service. We need energy in the midfield against Leeds. I would be tempted to play anyone who can run and scrap and fight for ninety minutes in that area, but looking round the squad, we don't have any! Alan, VDB, Townsend? That's not good. Defence is awful. If Coleman plays, I will scream. Just give young Patterson a chance. I'm sure he will make mistakes but so does Coleman. If he can run and down all day, make space, put some tackles in, he plays for me. Gray is a massive loss, but Gordon DCL and Richarlison is decent, Dele in the hole behind DCL, okay.... Frank, hopefully, has a plan. I just hope it doesn't involve Coleman. Terribly worried about all this.... 

35 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Pickford

Coleman   Holgate    Keane    Kenny

Allan         De Beek

Gordon         Alli          Richarlison

DCL

Kenny going to be need to be solid against Raphina 

Jesus that is scarily shite, can’t we bring Baines or Cole out of retirement ?

10 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Pickford

Coleman   Holgate    Keane    Kenny

Allan         De Beek

Gordon         Alli          Richarlison

DCL

Kenny going to be need to be solid against Raphina 

Is Mykolenko definitely out for this game?

1 minute ago, RPG said:

With Mykolenko, Mina and Godfrey all out, the back four (unless its a back 3) pretty much picks itself. Its not the game to give Patterson a debut so it has to be Coleman on the right, Holgate and Keane in the middle and Kenny or Townsend on the left. The only other option would be a back 3 of Holgate, Keane and  Branthwaite with Coleman and Townsend as wing backs. I think we may well see a back 3 again and the line up will be

Pickford

Holgate. Keane. Branthwaite

Gordon  Allan  Alli. V d Beek. Townsend

DCL. Richarlison

You’ve said 2 possible back lines and then thrown a complete different line up out there mate 😂😂😂 tactical genius, giving nothing away to the opposition!

Well I don’t envy Frank trying to pick a team here…. It’s kinda shit no matter what you do!

Pickford

Pattinson   Keane  Holgate  Townsend

DVB         Allan     Alli 

Gordon             DCL        Richarlison 

58 minutes ago, RPG said:

Did I not say the only other option was a back 3 of Holgate Keane and Branthwaite and then go on to say that is what I think we will see? Certainly, that's what I meant. Apologies if it was less than clear. I think also, you may have been quoting me while I was adding Gordon as an option at wing back.

Yeah hahah I’m referring to Gordon popping up as rwb! 

I'm trying to ignore the nerves I feel over this game so this is one thing I'm looking to...

Lampard and his staff had a few training sessions before the Brentford game and there was a huge improvement in our play, whereas against Newcastle they won't have had time to do much more than recovery sessions in training. So, my hope is that with them being able to spend more time with the players between the Newcastle game and this one on actual game training and tactics that we'll see more of a Brentford performance.

Also, being at home should help us. I think the crowd will be right behind the team today. I know I will be - I'm going to be singing as much as possible and backing the players. I don't jeer or boo anyway to be honest but I'm going to be doing all I can to play my own little part in what I hope will be a victory and I think the majority in there today will be doing the same and will drown out any negativity there may be.

Come on you blues, lets get the job done.

22 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm trying to ignore the nerves I feel over this game so this is one thing I'm looking to...

Lampard and his staff had a few training sessions before the Brentford game and there was a huge improvement in our play, whereas against Newcastle they won't have had time to do much more than recovery sessions in training. So, my hope is that with them being able to spend more time with the players between the Newcastle game and this one on actual game training and tactics that we'll see more of a Brentford performance.

Also, being at home should help us. I think the crowd will be right behind the team today. I know I will be - I'm going to be singing as much as possible and backing the players. I don't jeer or boo anyway to be honest but I'm going to be doing all I can to play my own little part in what I hope will be a victory and I think the majority in there today will be doing the same and will drown out any negativity there may be.

Hope they put on a show mate and you enjoy the day!

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Pretty much how I feel, been pacing up and down the stairs at home looking at my watch every 5 minutes since 0630 and now it’s finally time to go, few in the Brick for Dutch courage in the hope I will feel more optimistic than I do at the moment once I get around the ground

I think everyone is of the same mindset today, get there and get behind the team from the first minute to the last and above all try to stay behind them and not get on their backs if we do go a goal behind