IGNORED

Conor Gallagher

On 27/08/2022 at 15:45, Goodison Glory said:

We can only dream...all joking aside he Is hardly doing himself any favours!

No he isn’t when it comes to his Chelsea career, but that could quite easily work in the favour of other suitors, and I can see him ending up at Palace in favour of us for various reasons that we can’t complete with. 

• 4 months later...

sorry, but this is ridiculous. Squad is thread bare and we have apparently bid to spend the entire Gordon pot on a single player, who is going to be after pretty good money and is not going to realistically come here. Do we spend that remaining hours of the transfer window trying to get this one through. 

Every other team we might be negotiating with will will prick up their ears and say 'hello, Everton have money to burn again'!! A

Are we really in the market for £40M+ players?

However, if we had been negotiating a straight swap with Chelsea - Gordon for Gallagher I would actually bit their hand off. 

don't get me wrong - would love to see a team built around the likes of Gallagher - but does his signing keep us up in itself? If winger and a goal scorer comes as well then brilliant.

I am guessing there was a plan for signings pre Gordan disappearance, so maybe this is purely a January bonus. Making use of the windfall.

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

That’s not exactly how it works Rob. 

We’ve sold Gordon and as he didn’t owe anything in the books the £40m is straight into the profit. 
If we were to go and buy Gallagher for £40m on a four and a half year deal it costs us £8.9m per year.

Buying Gallagher for £40m now wouldn’t use up all of the Gordon money. It would just use up about £10m of it.

We don’t have a cash flow problem. We have an accounting problem. The Gordon sale helps us massively. If we did a straight swap for Gallagher and Gordon we wouldn’t be able to buy any other players as the accounting problem wouldn’t have moved. 

Yeah - I know the old footballing accounting amortization juggling act. Just making making the point that all being equal I would swap Gordon and Gallagher player for player in a heartbeat. 

Its a difficult position for Chelsea with Gallagher - they are not going to want to sell him to a top 6 rival, and if you maybe add Newcastle to the mix with their new money and extremely fortunate start to the new regime, it now maybe a top 7 of teams with a bona fida shout for a top 4 finish. Some of these big teams miss CL football for 2-3 seasons and their revenues are going to fall off a cliff, but have wage bills that actually dwarfs ours. These teams will not be immune to FFP. You can't stockpile players nowadays.

They are going to have to let some players go.

3 minutes ago, badaids said:

If he leaves Chelsea, he'll never agree to come here, and honestly is spunking all the dough we just got for Gordon on one player a good idea? I like him a lot, but I don't see where he's going to fit in in the Dyche system.

He’s literally the perfect midfielder for ‘the Dyche system’ - a Jeff Hendrick hybrid! Don’t think we’ll be seeing him here though.