IGNORED

Kevin Thelwell (Director of Football)

Romey 1878

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

The NYRB academy is one of the best in the US, they've sent a fair number of very talented players over to Europe.

Brenden Aaronson at RB Salzburg now possibly on the radar? He'd probably go to RB Leipzig first if anything, but he's looking like a real talent. 

Let me dream of having another American at Everton. 

EDIT: Leeds are rumored to be interested. 

Out of nowhere the club has appointed someone. Had not heard any rumors leading up to this. Did anyone else?  Assume everyone wanted the role filled sooner vs later.

Wonder who was behind the appointment?  Morshiri? The strategic review? The rest of the board? Is Tim Cahill still around?

Obviously have a lot of questions but it is nice to see the club make a quick decisive decision without it being telegraphed on SkySportsNews well before it happens.

3 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Brenden Aaronson at RB Salzburg now possibly on the radar? He'd probably go to RB Leipzig first if anything, but he's looking like a real talent. 

Let me dream of having another American at Everton. 

EDIT: Leeds are rumored to be interested. 

Oddly enough he came from the Philadelphia Union academy

17 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

No idea who he is, but will give him time as I would anyone else. 

His time at Wolves should be taken with a pinch of salt though, Jorge Mendes built that squad with Nuno Santo - nothing to do with Thelwell.

How do you know this? I’m well aware they were mendes players and he had an influence but they still needed signing off etc. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

How do you know this? I’m well aware they were mendes players and he had an influence but they still needed signing off etc. 

The people that own Wolverhampton have shares in Jorge Mendes' Agency, so without there being a formal agreement (as doing so would be against the league rules) the agreement was that most of Wolves transfer dealings would go through Mendes, meaning that the club received footballers that normally wouldn't go near them, such as Ruben Neves leaving a key role at FC Porto, to come and play in the second tier of English football. In return of course Jorge Mendes would receive a percentage of the transfer package, a win-win scenario.

I'm not doubting for the record that Thelwell may be a good guy, he's certainly had plaudits for his work with the NYRB's but his time at Wolverhampton (IMO anyway) should be taken with a massive pinch of salt. The transfer dealings would have happened had he, or indeed I been in the position of Director of Football in that timeframe.

Im a bit concerned that DBB says one of the most notable reasons for his employment based upon his CV was his work at Wolves.

As Zoo has pointed out, there is a massive question mark over what happened there so I would like to think our senior management didnt put too much weight on his work there without doing their due dilligence over what he was actually involved in. 

52 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Pretty sure the board will be looking at more than just his record that’s available publicly. Like it or not…. These guys are professional at their jobs….. even though we like to pretend we know better 🙂

Then why make that point? 

I just find it a bit of a bullshitters statement. Something someone would say when they haven't looked into a subject properly. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Then why make that point? 

I just find it a bit of a bullshitters statement. Something someone would say when they haven't looked into a subject properly. 

I’ve been alive long enough to take everything I read and presume with a large pinch of salt mate.

A bit like Martinez never doing any work on set pieces. Later interview with Baines and he said “of course he did, I meant he didn't put as much emphasis on set pieces as other managers”.  Yet people still use that stick today.

I can imagine the reality is that his recruitment at wolves was a factor in getting him considered, and then they would do due diligence to make sure he is the right man.

But then this is Everton, so it could be a name picked from a hat haha. 

19 hours ago, Bailey said:

Im a bit concerned that DBB says one of the most notable reasons for his employment based upon his CV was his work at Wolves.

As Zoo has pointed out, there is a massive question mark over what happened there so I would like to think our senior management didnt put too much weight on his work there without doing their due dilligence over what he was actually involved in. 

If you just look at the players bought in to play in the first team who were mendes players and assumed that was the breadth of his job then maybe.

but just looking at comments made when he left for New York. 

“Kevin has excelled in his role and has helped us build exceptional teams throughout Compton, in the Academy, recruitment, medical and analysis departments.

“The role of a sporting director is much broader than most people think, with a variety of different complexities and challenges, and without a doubt Kevin has fulfilled the expectations of the board and I over the last three-and-a-half years.”

he certainly seems engaging, you can tell in his interview he has a very sharp brain and for me him understanding the culture and needs of the club is huge. 

56 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I think the problem with us is that we don’t have the people at the top who are intelligent enough to make the right decision’s when it comes to team matters, but law of averages would suggest that they will get it right sooner or later Thelwell maybe the one but there’s just as much chance he won’t be. 

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

If you just look at the players bought in to play in the first team who were mendes players and assumed that was the breadth of his job then maybe.

but just looking at comments made when he left for New York. 

“Kevin has excelled in his role and has helped us build exceptional teams throughout Compton, in the Academy, recruitment, medical and analysis departments.

“The role of a sporting director is much broader than most people think, with a variety of different complexities and challenges, and without a doubt Kevin has fulfilled the expectations of the board and I over the last three-and-a-half years.”

he certainly seems engaging, you can tell in his interview he has a very sharp brain and for me him understanding the culture and needs of the club is huge. 

His remit may not be as involved with first team matters as much as Walsh and Brand’s seemed to be, but there are lots of other area’s where he can get involved and improve things, in his interview he didn’t really dwell on the first team as much as he did on other aspects of the club. Also some weeks ago when Lampard was asked the question about the club seeking a DoF he came across very unenthused on the idea, what we have to consider is that some managers see DoF as a challenge to their authority when it comes to decisions they believe are for them to make and no one else, and Lampard comes across as very much being his own man which I like, it will be interesting to see how it all develops. 
But if we look at past history they could both be sacked by the end of next season😉

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

His remit may not be as involved with first team matters as much as Walsh and Brand’s seemed to be, but there are lots of other area’s where he can get involved and improve things, in his interview he didn’t really dwell on the first team as much as he did on other aspects of the club. Also some weeks ago when Lampard was asked the question about the club seeking a DoF he came across very unenthused on the idea, what we have to consider is that some managers see DoF as a challenge to their authority when it comes to decisions they believe are for them to make and no one else, and Lampard comes across as very much being his own man which I like, it will be interesting to see how it all develops. 
But if we look at past history they could both be sacked by the end of next season😉

I think thelwell was very good at explaining the piece around “supporting” lampard. I think he has likely wanted to know how he can do this.  Lampard will no doubt want to know how the medical department can be better, if the academy is up to scratch. 

if we look at a lot of lampards interviews he is very much focused on  “responsibility”… every single one he says that’s “on me”  or “my staff” or “the players”.  Even with the var fiasco he said it was “on cavanagh”.

he doesn’t shirk responsibility but he is also very clear on who is responsible for what. 

We have desperately needed ownership at the club in certain areas and I think we have people keen to take ownership but also understand who is responsible for things outside of their remit that impacts their ability to do their job well.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I’ve been alive long enough to take everything I read and presume with a large pinch of salt mate.

A bit like Martinez never doing any work on set pieces. Later interview with Baines and he said “of course he did, I meant he didn't put as much emphasis on set pieces as other managers”.  Yet people still use that stick today.

I can imagine the reality is that his recruitment at wolves was a factor in getting him considered, and then they would do due diligence to make sure he is the right man.

🤣🤣

I am sure they did but I just found it a very political answer. It was like she was emphasising the obvious when the other things he accomplished at other clubs were probably more impressive. 

It is probably just the cynic in me! 🤣