IGNORED

Kevin Thelwell (Director of Football)

Romey 1878

• MikeO unpinned this topic
  • Romey 1878 pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok Kev…. You’ve seen the enormity of the task, get in front of moshiri and tell him that if you see Kia joorabahjiaenfuck around the gaff you will throw a 10kg medicine ball at him. 

time to clear the decks and book a 5 day offsite with lampard, Clement, the analysts and chief scout. 

let the cull commence. 

He can finally get to business properly now we know what divisons we are now going to be playing in. 

We do need a proper rebuild, and it is going to be difficult we very limited spending power. I am guessing we are going to be one of the teams with the most limited spending power. I think we are going to have to be savy in the market, and that might not be a bad thing, as we have been terrible at spending big money. 

El Garzi coming from Villa has to be the final straw in idiotic transfers, paying the wages of Villa player so they can afford to sign one of our star players is boardering insane. 

Thelwell, Lampard and the rest of the footballing have to be given the time needed to develop a squad and team on a limited budget, by both the owners and the board, but also us fans. 

Its not going to be a seamless ride.

9 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Don't forget we lose a massive chunk of wages from players out of contract, plus we will likely sell Gomes, Mina, Allan and sadly Ritchy, we won't have a fortune but enough to get what we need.

We should have enough to o buy 2/3 good players and if we actually use the loan market effectively to is time we could be okay.

29 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Not sure how much money we will have but I think we took the hit last summer.  

The issues are on a rolling three year period aren’t they? I thought the hit just made a little bit of wiggle room in January. 

That said, a couple of free transfers like Tarkowski and Nketiah would help the squad and cost little. 
If we could sell Mina, Gomes and maybe DCL, if he doesn’t want to stay, then that would really help with a midfielder and a striker. 
Throw the kitchen sink at Richarlison to sign a new deal and stay for another year or two. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

The issues are on a rolling three year period aren’t they? I thought the hit just made a little bit of wiggle room in January. 

That said, a couple of free transfers like Tarkowski and Nketiah would help the squad and cost little. 
If we could sell Mina, Gomes and maybe DCL, if he doesn’t want to stay, then that would really help with a midfielder and a striker. 
Throw the kitchen sink at Richarlison to sign a new deal and stay for another year or two. 

Nketiah is a great shout as a striker who offers something different to DCL’s strengths and could even complement each other well as a pairing, would be a great signing.

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

We need a CB and a #6 before any thoughts of attacking players in my opinion.  

And by #6 I mean a true #6 and not a box to box player who can play out of position.  

Boubacar Kamara just went to Villa on a free.  Speaking of #6s, we should have been looking at that.  Assume he would play second fiddle to Douglas Luiz at Villa unless they sell him.  Little competition from our squad if he joined us.

13 hours ago, London Blue said:

Don't forget we lose a massive chunk of wages from players out of contract, plus we will likely sell Gomes, Mina, Allan and sadly Ritchy, we won't have a fortune but enough to get what we need.

I mentioned this in another thread, but how many years have we said something like "we'll likely be able to offload this player and this player and this player" and surprise surprise, no one wants to buy our overpaid, mediocre players.

I don't think we can assume we're going to be able to find buyers for some of these guys, and we might just see them as part of the squad again next season

9 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but how many years have we said something like "we'll likely be able to offload this player and this player and this player" and surprise surprise, no one wants to buy our overpaid, mediocre players.

I don't think we can assume we're going to be able to find buyers for some of these guys, and we might just see them as part of the squad again next season

I think both Mina and Allans agents can engineer moves away, Gomes I agree will be tough. I don't want to lose Ritchy but I imagine there will be loads of takers. 

Is Nketiah that good? 

I haven't seen much of him for Arsenal but when I have, he isn't someone I have looked at and thought he will improve us. Its hard to judge someone in short spells off the bench though.  

I also think if your plan at the start of the season is to use someone like Dom, for the backup to be a polar opposite it would cause an issue in a small squad. 

7 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Couldn’t agree more. I’d love to sell my house for a few million and retire, but wishful thinking isn’t going to make that happen. In the same way selling Gomes, Keane, Davies and Mina won’t be easy. 
Out of contract players will be out the door, but anyone else? I doubt it. Wholesale changes just aren’t on the cards for me. 

9 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Boubacar Kamara just went to Villa on a free.  Speaking of #6s, we should have been looking at that.  Assume he would play second fiddle to Douglas Luiz at Villa unless they sell him.  Little competition from our squad if he joined us.

He would have been ideal. Real shame and a great bit of business by Villa 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Is Nketiah that good? 

I haven't seen much of him for Arsenal but when I have, he isn't someone I have looked at and thought he will improve us. Its hard to judge someone in short spells off the bench though.  

I also think if your plan at the start of the season is to use someone like Dom, for the backup to be a polar opposite it would cause an issue in a small squad. 

I think he’s good, he works hard and is quick and I like that he generally tries to place his shots from what I’ve seen.

To a degree but it also gives the option of something different when plan A isn’t working. 

On 23/05/2022 at 15:46, plaidharper said:

Boubacar Kamara just went to Villa on a free. 

Reported £175k per week to jump ahead of Champions League offers. There’s a few Villa signings of late that have made me think they’ll fall into our trap - Digne, Coutinho, Ings - around £20m each on big wages and no resale. Way over the odds on Kamara’s wages and talk of £120k a week on Tarkowski - don’t get me wrong - I’d have Tarkowski here but not as a top earner. It may not seem much (in footballing terms) but £90k for Tarkowski, I’m happy with - £120k and you’ve got to think what other players are going to look at that and want parity.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Reported £175k per week to jump ahead of Champions League offers. There’s a few Villa signings of late that have made me think they’ll fall into our trap - Digne, Coutinho, Ings - around £20m each on big wages and no resale. Way over the odds on Kamara’s wages and talk of £120k a week on Tarkowski - don’t get me wrong - I’d have Tarkowski here but not as a top earner. It may not seem much (in footballing terms) but £90k for Tarkowski, I’m happy with - £120k and you’ve got to think what other players are going to look at that and want parity.

They're also said to be after Bissouma.

Gerrard does like to make a lot of signings. He did the same with Rangers.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villas-700-million-transfer-23008113

Villa have been very lucky that they have had some big money coming in for Grealish - but they are spending big money on older players on big contracts both in the summer and in January - lets not forget they only finished 6 points and 2 places above us. We played them at Goodison at a very bad time for us, they are pretty much only that win above us, in what is considered a diabolical season for us. The have spent massive across that team this year and the league table suggest they are not much better off that us. 

They could be a team heading in a similar direction to where we have been over the past few years. If Gerrard has a poor start next year his job will be well and truly on the line, as with big spending comes bigger expectations!! we have been through it. Villa's owners are going to demand and expect a European push next season. 

I would like to think we are now on a downward curve of excessive net spending (partly as its imposed), especially with lessons learnt, the new regime in place and new stadium well and truly on the horizon. 

Good write up on the Athletic about the "Strategic Review" looks we are headed in the right direction with having a unified playing style across all age groups. Intent is one thing of course, let's see how we execute the idea.

"Crucially, the under-23s will be led by a head coach, not a manager, and that person will take direction from Thelwell after consultation with Lampard on the playing side. The aim will be to finally implement something Brands had pushed for — a unified style of play across all teams.

One of the key tasks for the club’s new coach educator Kevin Nicholson is to play a pivotal role in liaising with all age-group coaches to ensure those joined-up systems and style of play are instilled.

Another suggestion has been that Thelwell will look to appoint a loans manager, a position scrapped under his predecessor Brands"