IGNORED

Kevin Thelwell (Director of Football)

Romey 1878

19 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Good write up on the Athletic about the "Strategic Review" looks we are headed in the right direction with having a unified playing style across all age groups. Intent is one thing of course, let's see how we execute the idea.

"Crucially, the under-23s will be led by a head coach, not a manager, and that person will take direction from Thelwell after consultation with Lampard on the playing side. The aim will be to finally implement something Brands had pushed for — a unified style of play across all teams.

One of the key tasks for the club’s new coach educator Kevin Nicholson is to play a pivotal role in liaising with all age-group coaches to ensure those joined-up systems and style of play are instilled.

Another suggestion has been that Thelwell will look to appoint a loans manager, a position scrapped under his predecessor Brands"

and the key to all this will crucially be.... Moshiri not expecting us to be challenging for European football in the next season or two and just letting them them all getting on with it for a couple or three years and seeing where that leads us.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if this has been posted before but Tim Howard had a chat with Thelwell. The transcript and video is here:

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2022/6/11/23163691/kevin-thelwell-director-of-football-everton-interview-tim-howard-lampard-transfer-rumours-plans

I don't think there is anything in there that is too exciting but it did cover more of Thelwell's roles and responsibilities which I know is always keenly debated on this forum. The main couple of paragraphs are as follows:

TH: It feels like you and Frank are singing from the same hymn sheet. What’s your relationship with him been like so far?

KT: Well, number one, it’s very important at the start of any relationship - and I’ve never worked with Frank before - to be very clear about what we’re both doing and how we’re going to work together. It’s clear that Frank’s role is responsibility for preparation of the team, performance of the team and, fundamentally, results. My responsibility is to make sure all of the support services that sit around him are fit for purpose. So, once we understand that, there’s a real opportunity to start talking about how we work together to improve all of those things. We’re very lucky that our offices are opposite each other - less than a metre apart, so that’s great! It’s created an opportunity for us to get to know each other a bit better, build relationships and talk frequently about common journey. We both want exactly the same thing and we understand we’re both going to work hard to do that together. A super strength of Frank in my opinion is that he’s very normal - he’s very low ego. He’s very clear about what he wants but he also has this endearing ability to take on other people’s opinions, discuss things and understand that there are things to be gained from those conversations. I have to say it’s been a breath of fresh air [working with him], but it’s one thing enjoying it - now we have to deliver on it. We all understand the pressure that comes from being in these roles. Everton Football Club should be at the very top and so Frank and I have a responsibility to deliver that.

TH: Absolutely. There is going to be pressure at any football club but definitely at a club like Everton. Can you tell me about your responsibilities beyond the First Team? When you get into the job and you look right down through the Academy - is that something of paramount importance to you as well?

KT: Of course. The Director of Football job description is broad, so it’s very much about supporting the First Team, of course, but it’s also supporting all of the other departments that help us to try to win, so, Performance Analysis, Sport Science, Medical Services, Academy, Women and girls... It’s about working through all of the departments and helping them to be the very best that they can be. I’ve always seen that as a very important and integral part of the role. It’s not just about today - that is a fundamental part of it, of course - but it’s also about safeguarding the future and it’s about tomorrow. The only way in which you do that is to make sure that you collaborate with a lot of people and build this wider vision of what we’re trying to achieve at the football club. In all of the previous roles I’ve worked in and Everton is no different, I’ve always worked on two pipelines. Performance - what we do today to really ensure what everybody sees is as strong as it possibly can be on the pitch; but also preparing for tomorrow and a pathway for young players. I think any top football club is built on that sort of foundation.

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

All I really want is for Moshiri to let Thelwell (and Lampard) as a 'team' actually do their jobs over a sustained period of time (at least 2-3 years). The progress might not immediately be significantly higher league position of cup runs. Progress to me will be building a young team and overall footballing philosophy where our youth training and recruitment will be aligned as closely as possible to the first team. This looks like what the plan is. 

Its just no good trying to go toe to toe in the transfer market with the so called big guns, FFP just means that approach it totally unstainable - we tried and we failed miserably and have fallen flat on our faces. This is going to take 2-3 season to come back from - so lets take a breath, just do it properly with the right people. 

We fans have to be just as patient as Moshiri. 

It’s not so much that it’s unsustainable it’s that you have to be accurate with your signings. We missed a lot and got punished. If we had done better we might have been able to bridge the gap. 

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

It’s not so much that it’s unsustainable it’s that you have to be accurate with your signings. We missed a lot and got punished. If we had done better we might have been able to bridge the gap. 

well that's the point - you can't just keep spending until you get it right these day. Clubs used to be able to do that to get to the top - Man City and Chelsea got away with it, I have little doubt if FFP rules where around when they both spend big, there would have be a decent change they would have ended up like we are now - hamstrung. 

It is going to be very interesting to see what situation the likes of Aston Villa and Newcastle are like in 3-4 seasons time. There are already 6 teams battling for top 4 places season on season - 8 does not go in to 4 and I don't see how teams like this revenues are going to allow them to compete financial with both the now global brands of the top six, plus there CL money. They are heading for a similar cliff to us as I don't see Villa or Newcastle having bona fida revenue streams any more greater than ours - they will get to a point when CL becomes a must to keep the moment going in transfer fees and wages.

5 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Head of performance analysis and insights…. That’s in my world of work but no way would I go for it. I’d want someone far better than me to do that role. I do people data and insights… similar in many ways and skills would lend itself but I would expect this job to be a 60 hour a week minimum 

my instinct though would be to establish a methodology for identifying what great looks like using the various data captures that they get….. to do it I would create theories then test them on historic data for players who we know have turned out to be stars…. Jarrod Bowen, Van dyke, Salah, etc.

There is always going to be an X factor or an intangible that you just can’t obtain through numbers. 

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Head of performance analysis and insights…. That’s in my world of work but no way would I go for it. I’d want someone far better than me to do that role. I do people data and insights… similar in many ways and skills would lend itself but I would expect this job to be a 60 hour a week minimum 

my instinct though would be to establish a methodology for identifying what great looks like using the various data captures that they get….. to do it I would create theories then test them on historic data for players who we know have turned out to be stars…. Jarrod Bowen, Van dyke, Salah, etc.

There is always going to be an X factor or an intangible that you just can’t obtain through numbers. 

Like photo shoots? That's how you know what great looks like :P

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Maybe Amanda Holden would be up for the job? 

Data can identify lots a things.  I ran a piece across an organisation where people moved teams and reported to different managers over a period of time. Over a period of time I looked at the performance numbers…. People thought I was analysing the people who were getting good/bad ratings.    I wasn’t. I was actually able to identify the good/bad managers because some would positively influence performance and others negatively….. it really ruffled some feathers. 

I still say to this day, people change managers - they change their company/job to facilitate that. 

how that equates to footy I have no idea but I’m pretty certain there are unique ways at looking at performance that will improve us.   

i do think Moyes to his credit had his own algorithm in his head, not necessarily data driven but similar to many good managers who look at non tangibles like character. 

I am liking what I am reading, but it does have a slight feeling of Deja Vu. I just can't get over enthusiastic just yet about any changes at the club. 

lets just hope that this time Moshiri gives this lot the reins to actually do their jobs properly over a prolonged period of time. None of us really know if Walsh and Brands where actually good or poor at their jobs - because to me is sounds like both had to do it with one hand tied behind their backs while hopping on one leg - in a game of 'Moshiri says'. This is the number one thing that HAS to change at this club. Nothing gets better until his constant interfering with footballing matters stops- and its just to early to know if this is actually going to happen.

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I am liking what I am reading, but it does have a slight feeling of Deja Vu. I just can't get over enthusiastic just yet about any changes at the club. 

lets just hope that this time Moshiri gives this lot the reins to actually do their jobs properly over a prolonged period of time. None of us really know if Walsh and Brands where actually good or poor at their jobs - because to me is sounds like both had to do it with one hand tied behind their backs while hopping on one leg - in a game of 'Moshiri says'. This is the number one thing that HAS to change at this club. Nothing gets better until his constant interfering with footballing matters stops- and its just to early to know if this is actually going to happen.

Completely this. We have been here before with Walsh and Brands. More so with the latter. 

Hopefully the guy we employed to do a job is actually allowed to do it!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

That seems like a positive step. Look at how other clubs like Chelsea, the red shite and City recruit to their academies in this league as do clubs on the continent. If we invest in youth, give them a pathway into our first team or into becoming professional footballers at a different club matching their abilities it can either a) save us millions in transfers or b) be a lucrative investment stream we’re missing out on. As much as it may sicken us we need to look across the park and adopt some of their proven practices cause currently we’re a club marooned in the 20th century in regards to maximising our income streams and marketing strategies