IGNORED

Kevin Thelwell (Director of Football)

Romey 1878

On 28/08/2023 at 11:24, Palfy said:

Didn’t realise we had an option on Harrison so that’s a big plus like I said I think he will turn out to be the pick of the signings to date. Do you have any idea of how the option is made up.  

I’m sure I read it’s basically just a break clause. So there is no obligation/option to buy as such but we can cancel the loan and negotiate from scratch if we want to buy him

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’m sure I read it’s basically just a break clause. So there is no obligation/option to buy as such but we can cancel the loan and negotiate from scratch if we want to buy him

I thought it was obligation but apparently there's a release clause we can activate to buy him.

52 minutes ago, StevO said:

We don’t have an option, as we don’t need one. The terms of his contract with Leeds is that he has a relegation loan clause and a relegation release clause. As long as Leeds are not in the Premier League we can take him for whatever the fee is. 

So basically he’s on loan and when his loan expires he is open for anyone to make an offer as long as they aren’t in the premier league, who decides what his value is or is that written in his contract, and I assume he has final say on where he goes. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So basically he’s on loan and when his loan expires he is open for anyone to make an offer as long as they aren’t in the premier league, who decides what his value is or is that written in his contract, and I assume he has final say on where he goes. 

No, we can buy him at any part of the loan (we could buy him tomorrow if we wanted to) as the loaning club, during the term of the loan, for a fee that was agreed when he signed his contract last year.
When his loan is over anything can happen, anyone can try to buy him from any league in the world. 

Every player has final say on where they go, no player can be made to sign for a club against there will. 

Just read a piece saying that he's actually worked miracles financially for us in this window. 

Allegedly, the only fee that has been spent is the £3m loan fee for Danjuma. Beto and Chermiti fees have both (allegedly) been kicked down the road until the start of the next fiscal year.

If true, he's done a great job.

7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

From what Dyche said in his latest interview Thelwell is very constrained in the deal that he can make, and pulled a bit of a Rabbit out of the hat tailoring a deal that got a £25M signing of Beto over the line.

It is extreamely difficult to judge  DoF at this club. It sounded like both Walsh and Brands where pretty much dictated to by the owner or indeed the owners real  puppet master - Usmananov. Transfer business was shocking under their stewardship, but blame goes far beyond the pair of them.  

Thelwell seems to be making a better fist of it, given what appears to be significant financial restrictions dealing with the aftermath of FFP and lose of significant sponser (although the sponser and owner interferance appeared to be hand in hand).

Our biggest outlays - McNeil (22), Onana (20), Garner (21) Beto (25) and Chermiti (19) (ages when purchased) look to be decent transfers. The only real duck expenditure wise so far is Maupay, although we are still early days on a couple of these, I feel we are now consistently shopping the the right window now. Thelwell just need a bit more cash so the quantity of these types of signings can be increase and spread accross the pitch - i.e your Gnonto's etc. He is definately having to deal with one hand behind his back at the moment. 

Agree with this entirely. I would add that it is not just FFP that has constrained us/him, it is cash flow. Moshri does not appear willing to put more money in (or can't). This is why we took out more debt last year and also most of the income we received went to servicing the costs of the stadium. 

We lost some of our targets in January because we could not find the right player where the club was willing to take our buy now pay later type of deal structure. 

I think Thelwell has done a good job most of the players he is trying to sign are an upgrade on previous signings. 
if there was one downside it was the Gnonto fiasco we should have moved on to in my eyes Sulemana. 
this deal could have been done this lad has the pace and ability to beat players with ease.

his goal scoring will improve as he matures.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

To be fair to him, it does seem that he's being as transparent as possible.

A bit of honesty around the place, even if it's not what we want to hear in an ideal world, is much needed these days.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/10/2023 at 18:07, StevO said:

He came across really well, it would be nice to hear from him more often. 

Absolutely, an honest, realistic and intelligent appraisal of the situation and I felt way more confident after listening to that. All I would say is actions speak louder than words so as long as he does what he says and he and his team are given the opportunity then the future might not be so bleak.

I think he clearly has good plans going forward with the way they are highlighting types of player they want that fit the style of play they want and trying to work this through the younger categories also.

He was very honest in his assessment that whilst they have done lots of good things they are majorly restricted both in first team and youth levels by money when it comes to getting what they want.  This won't change any time soon but at least with the structure and planning he is putting in place he is starting to move us in the right direction and when money does become available hopefully we spend it wisely this time.

I felt a lot more confident about the way we are  being run at the football level after listening to his interview.  I've not delved into the Colin Chung one yet so no idea how that goes!

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/3791977/director-of-football-everyone-at-everton-is-united

and Thelwell's chatting away again!!! 

We have called for others to speak up about 'non football' issues, and not leaving all the awkward questions to the manager at press conferances. Seems people at the club are listening. 

Perfectely accptable for Dyche to now limit what he says about the 10 point deduction in his pre match press conferance now and focus on the game.

I don’t want to bring up old issues with people who are no longer part of the club, for whatever reason that may be, but since those people aren’t around anymore it seems like the communication has improved massively. Could those who distrusted the fans have been keeping people quiet out of the fear they had?

Kevin becoming a lot more public is a step in the right direction. Long may it continue. He can be the face of the resurrection of the club. 

edit. Great words from him too. All it was missing was a sign off of Up The Fucking Toffees!

9 minutes ago, StevO said:

I don’t want to bring up old issues with people who are no longer part of the club, for whatever reason that may be, but since those people aren’t around anymore it seems like the communication has improved massively. Could those who distrusted the fans have been keeping people quiet out of the fear they had?

Kevin becoming a lot more public is a step in the right direction. Long may it continue. He can be the face of the resurrection of the club. 

edit. Great words from him too. All it was missing was a sign off of Up The Fucking Toffees!

A certain someone viewed the fans as the enemy that needed to be controlled, it’s as simple as that. Those that are left seem to realise that we’re the clubs biggest asset that they can feed off and work with, especially in the current circumstances.

Long may it continue.