IGNORED

Kevin Thelwell (Director of Football)

Romey 1878

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

I appreciate the work he’s doing at academy level, but please get some first team work done asap. 

I know the first team will need recruitment, but our main problem in the past 5-6 years be has lack of focus on the academy and developing top young players. The likes of Cheslea, Liverpool and Man City seem to be selling of top young players who can't get near their first teams for millions and making huge profits helping their turn overs massively, Chelsea especially. We seem to have lost ground massively in this department.

Two of our best first team assets? - DCL and Gordon!! much much more of this please. 

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

This just sounds like spin to me.

Same thing happened with Brands when he first arrived. Its not like he even had a chance to develop those players into the first team. His work will only be realised in the years to come.

We have always put a lot into the academy, its just the case that some times it doesnt work. Then you go through a good spell again. 

22 minutes ago, Bailey said:

This just sounds like spin to me.

Same thing happened with Brands when he first arrived. Its not like he even had a chance to develop those players into the first team. His work will only be realised in the years to come.

We have always put a lot into the academy, its just the case that some times it doesnt work. Then you go through a good spell again. 

Loads go through the academy but the under 23s had a manager playing the likes of niasse and failed other first teamers cos he wanted to win a meaningless league. 

I’m not going to knock his work of getting 12 youth or under 23s to sign new contracts, but where is our replacement for Richarlison, were is the LB and RB we desperately need, where is the creative midfielder. I hope he doesn’t live to regret he’s concentrating to much on the under 23s and the 1st team takes a back seat heading down to the Championship, whilst under 23s win PL2. 

22 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m not going to knock his work of getting 12 youth or under 23s to sign new contracts, but where is our replacement for Richarlison, were is the LB and RB we desperately need, where is the creative midfielder. I hope he doesn’t live to regret he’s concentrating to much on the under 23s and the 1st team takes a back seat heading down to the Championship, whilst under 23s win PL2. 

The first team is going to take priority for every club. It’s what generates the revenue that allows the club to exist at all. Judge these things when the window is over and once it’s known what resources we have. 

10 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I know the first team will need recruitment, but our main problem in the past 5-6 years be has lack of focus on the academy and developing top young players. The likes of Cheslea, Liverpool and Man City seem to be selling of top young players who can't get near their first teams for millions and making huge profits helping their turn overs massively, Chelsea especially. We seem to have lost ground massively in this department.

Two of our best first team assets? - DCL and Gordon!! much much more of this please. 

Yeah, the lack of focus on the academy nearly got us relegated last season. 🤔

The academy needs work for the long term benefit of the club. If the first team isn’t improved the short term could seriously fuck up the long term anyway. 

20 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

The first team is going to take priority for every club. It’s what generates the revenue that allows the club to exist at all. Judge these things when the window is over and once it’s known what resources we have. 

Yes well it’s looking like we might become an exception to that rule this season, once again Everton last out the traps playing catch-up as usual. So boring and predictable. 

17 hours ago, StevO said:

The academy needs work for the long term benefit of the club. If the first team isn’t improved the short term could seriously fuck up the long term anyway. 

100%

The first team/academy shouldn’t be seen as separate entities but as cogs in the same machine. Our problem is that for far to long we’ve lacked consistency in both. We’ve had 7 managers since Moyes left in 2013. That’s seven different playing styles, they’ve brought in their “type” of player, implemented their tactics/patterns of play etc etc. 

I haven’t a Scooby Doo how the first team squad would know what to do at any given time let alone the academy players. For us to have long term success from the youth ranks we need them to be playing the same brand of football from the age of 7 up. 

That way players will be able to transition from the under 23 side into the first team without a massive effect on the shape of the team and hopefully performance. As a club we need to draw a line in the sand and start being proactive instead of reactive 

On 10/07/2022 at 22:48, StevO said:

I may have been better rephrasing that - had a bit more serious focus been give to the academy from day one of the Moshiri regime you - 5-6 years down the line you would not thing we would be benefitting - In recent history there was too much focus on the immediate first team with the wrong players being brought in.

I think we will now see some first team players come in, and now the Richy sale has been done (as our main cash injection this summer), I think we will now see the transfer wheels will start to turn.

On 10/07/2022 at 17:32, Hafnia said:

Loads go through the academy but the under 23s had a manager playing the likes of niasse and failed other first teamers cos he wanted to win a meaningless league. 

He also had one of the youngest squads in the U23s (apparently - not checked) and had half the older squad out on loan. 

I suspect there was a lot more going on that trying to win the league. 

15 hours ago, Bailey said:

He also had one of the youngest squads in the U23s (apparently - not checked) and had half the older squad out on loan. 

He was playing baningame, niasse, Kenny, a quarter of our team made up of players who needed moving on. The likes of Josh Bowler stagnated and is now at Blackpool ripping it up…. 

15 hours ago, Bailey said:

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He was playing baningame, niasse, Kenny, a quarter of our team made up of players who needed moving on. The likes of Josh Bowler stagnated and is now at Blackpool ripping it up…. 

It was only last season that Brands (before he left obviously!) had finally been able to start on the academy and basically had the U18s playing the U23 level. Before then it was nothing like that.

12 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Niasse played 506 minutes across 2 seasons with the U23s.

Kenny was clearly going to play because he was seen as having first team potential but he was stuck between the first team and a loan. I don't understand what you think should have happened? 

Clearly the same happened with Bowler. 

I am not really sure what you expect to happen when you have these lads at the club. They need games and the more they play, the more it puts them in the shop window. The issue is that these players have been stuck around the club when they needed to move on. 

I think it would be very unfair to point the finger at Unsworth when there are clearly a lot of other factors at play.

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

Niasse played 506 minutes across 2 seasons with the U23s.

Kenny was clearly going to play because he was seen as having first team potential but he was stuck between the first team and a loan. I don't understand what you think should have happened? 

Clearly the same happened with Bowler. 

I am not really sure what you expect to happen when you have these lads at the club. They need games and the more they play, the more it puts them in the shop window. The issue is that these players have been stuck around the club when they needed to move on. 

I think it would be very unfair to point the finger at Unsworth when there are clearly a lot of other factors at play.

What other factors? He had his under 23 team playing totally different football. He was playing first team rejects, how many talents has he bought through that we have either made first team players or sold for good money? 

Rumours of bullying, extra maritals with CEO…. Very cosy with Bill.  All in all it’s not just him but he is part of a regime like dunc, bill, DBB, who need to be gone. 

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

This was posted about days ago, it might even have been me that put it up actually, but why would Thelwell have been going to the US with the squad anyway? 

Exactly. Are we meant to be grateful that they aren’t having unnecessary travel for a jolly.  Plenty of shit for him to work through 

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

This was posted about days ago, it might even have been me that put it up actually, but why would Thelwell have been going to the US with the squad anyway? 

Only reason would be because Frank too such a large contingent of younger players

but seems as though club and fans alike agree on the fact that the time is better spent here.

20 hours ago, Hafnia said:

What other factors? He had his under 23 team playing totally different football. He was playing first team rejects, how many talents has he bought through that we have either made first team players or sold for good money? 

Rumours of bullying, extra maritals with CEO…. Very cosy with Bill.  All in all it’s not just him but he is part of a regime like dunc, bill, DBB, who need to be gone. 

I just mentioned one factor... players stuck between the first team and U23s.

Fringe first team players needing games from injury. 

Pressures from above for these type of players needing to have games so they can sell them.

Wanting to show the youngers players in the squad what a fringe first team player looks like and what they need to beat.

In terms of players brought through... Gordon, Kenny, Simms, Dom, Davies maybe, Broadhead, Bowler... there are lots of players that he has influenced that have gone on to have good careers. 

As for playing style... how many managers have we had since he was the U23 boss. We havent had a club philosophy since Martinez left. The clubs decision has been to keep the first team and U23s separate. If you have a problem with that, its on those above Unsworth. 

Back to the rumours again... might be true... might be bullshit. I'd go with the latter. Lampard seems to have a good relationship with some of those people too, should he go? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

How do we rate him accurately? Do we give him credit for 100% of signings? We seemed to struggle with Brands and how to allocate credit/blame.

genuine question. I'd love to think he is responsible for all incomings but who knows. 

There's nothing flashy or completely against what we needed to bring in, they all make sense, so I'd say these signings have 100% been agreed between Thelwell and Lampard.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

There's nothing flashy or completely against what we needed to bring in, they all make sense, so I'd say these signings have 100% been agreed between Thelwell and Lampard.

Agree strongly here. I like that we’ve signed predominately young players but brought in 2 reliable, experienced players in the area we needed the quickest fix.

I feel come the end of the window we could all be feeling a lot more confident about the season ahead.