IGNORED

Leeds (Away) 30th August

Btay

Holgate is confirmed out & Maupay is in the squad.

This will be interesting to see if Lampard keeps the 3-4-3 or reverts to a back 4. Personally I think he will go with a back 4 for this one.

Pickford 

Patterson    Coady     Tarkwoski     Myko 

Iwobi         Allan           Onana 

Gray                    Maupay              Gordon 

3 CB’s injured in the first 4 games is ridiculous.  Allan to sit, Iwobi & Onana to play more box to box. 

• Leeds United are looking to win their opening three home league games in a season for the first time since 2009-10 in League One.

• Everton have failed to win any of their opening four Premier League games this season (D2 L2). The Toffees have only had longer winless starts to two Premier League campaigns, in 1994-95 (12 games) and 2010-11 (six).

• Rodrigo is looking to become the first Leeds player to score in their first three home league games in a season since Luciano Becchio in 2012-13 and the first in the top flight since Lee Chapman in 1992-93.

• Anthony Gordon has had 11 of Everton’s 23 shots on target in the Premier League this season (48%) and is looking to find the net in consecutive top-flight games for the first time, after scoring against Brentford on Saturday.

I watched Leeds against Chelsea and they were really impressive and deserved winners. They have beaten a goal shy Wolves, lost a 2-0 lead at Southampton and lost to Brighton despite dominating possession against them (58%). Aside from letting a two goal lead slip on the South Coady... oh wait Coast.... they have had a very impressive start to the season and amazingly sit in 5th place. 

They might just set up in a way that will suit us being able to counter attack as they will try and get on the ball and dominate. With that in mind, I cannot see that this is the game where we depart from 5 at the back (especially with the game at the weekend). I also think there defenders are a bit weak and can be bullied, just as Che Adams did when he was introduced to the game at St Mary's. It is one of those games where I would have loved to have seen Dom start but I am sure Maupay will be able to play that role, albeit in a different way. 

The other thing that Southampton game shows is that if you can put this Leeds team under some pressure they can crumble. An early goal could be crucial for us in getting 3 points. The later this goes, the more I can see Leeds' pressure counting.

Big decision for Frank in this game.  Is he just going to stick with a back 3 forever or can he be tactically flexible and start off with a back four?

Think this game would be one for a back four in my opinion.  It would match up how Leeds set up plus we will need the extra help in the mid-field. Aaronson is very quick.  Everything flows through him.  He blew by Gallagher and Jorginho and was straight on to the CBs.  Koulibaly could not handle his pace and was eventually sent off for it.  To make matters worse Dan James and Jack Harrison are also very quick on the wings.  If we play a back 3 it will quickly turn into a back 5 with Patterson and Myko being pushed back to track those runs.

Onana and Iwobi will obviously start in midfield.  I would be dropping one of the CBs for one of Allan/Davies/Warrington.  With Holgate and Godfrey out, our CBs are slow and could do with that extra man in front.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I won't lie, I'm very nervous about this game.

I seem to be nervous about all games these day. It scary when you look at a fixture list and just can't see any 'easy' games anymore. 

I am really hoping having a half decent striker on the pitch will help us today - as our xG in games so far has actually been pretty good compared to that of the opposition. Difficulty is Maupay only been around matter of days and is going it to a team that is still fairly unfamiliar with each other. It's going to be difficult for them to all be singing from the same hymn sheet for a fair while yet, as I expect a fair more new faces to arrive tomorrow.  

I do think its going to be New Year before we see this team proper going out on to the pitch, so I will just be glad of nicking any points we can and seeing a general style of play develop this side of the World Cup break. At the I would take simply not being in the bottom 3 come the end of November. 

Nicking a point or three in this game would be very very welcome, but Elland Road a tough venue to get anything. 

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

It's going to be difficult for them to all be singing from the same hymn sheet for a fair while yet, as I expect a fair more new faces to arrive tomorrow.  

Think you'll be waiting another day for those because the window shuts on Thursday!

Looks like Gana will be signed tomorrow though.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

There were rumours today that he hadn't been registered in time due to the Bank Holiday.

must be the case - All very frustrating, as getting the deal done 8 hours soon would he could have been be registered and been available for 2 more games. which is not insignificant when you have not real striker and struggling to get points. 

1 minute ago, Wiggytop said:

Really, sacrifice points in the league to score points over supporters 🤔

That isn't what I said at all. I didn't say he was playing without a striker on purpose, or even allude to that, just that I don't think the formation will work without one and then he'll resort to the formation that came before it.

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't believe I asked him to.

When you say it “gives him ammunition” the implication is he needs a reason. You even gave the reason, a lack of success with 4 at the back. If Frank feels like he has to justify his formations to the media or to the supporters then I’d be concerned.

4 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

must be the case - All very frustrating, as getting the deal done 8 hours soon would he could have been be registered and been available for 2 more games. which is not insignificant when you have not real striker and struggling to get points. 

I don’t know how much we would have wanted to throw him in with literally no familiarity with the team at all on Saturday.  Would have been nice for today though.