IGNORED

Arsenal (Home) 17th September

Romey 1878

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

Am I the only one who expected to lose 0-3 today by an Arsenal team that can rip any team apart?

I must be old. I remember playing teams like this and only have one chance in the whole game. Play open against these and you get destroyed. 

I get we want to play free flowing football, but we don’t have those players. Everyone called for Garner to play on the middle, and when he did he was absolute pants. So not sure who in the squad we can get to do that role?

Were in a fight this season. We need to stay solid and break forward when we can. That’s going to be the majority of our season i‘m afraid.

This.

Seems like folks always forget how shite our squad right before kickoff. No where near Arsenal's level.  Sack Dyche? Not sure many coaches would have played completely open today.  Our back four were ok.  McNeil and Danjuma were just as bad as the rest of the midfield.  If we play like this against Luton, then that is the proper time to melt down.

The majority of those players won't be needing an ice bath after that showing because they didn't show any effort whatsoever.

We are the worst side in the league, by far, in possession. Midway through the first half there was a fella somewhere behind me in the Lower Gwladys going absolutely apoplectic about it and shouting about telling the players we play in the fucking blue shirts. I'm not even talking about hard passes, we can't pass it 5 yards to each other, and sometimes even when we manage that our players are in trouble because they haven't moved into space so when they receive the ball they're instantly in trouble and then panic and lose the fucking thing anyway.

There was no pressing so Arsenal were effectively just having a training game this afternoon. Or we had one player do and what's the fucking point in that? It was easy as fuck to play around us.

And for the love of god what the fuck is going on with us defending corners? Obviously teams have sussed some sort of weakness with us because every team so far this season has gone with the short corner routine and had a two on one against us. Have we done anything to combat it? Have we like fuck!

The good/ok/not shite -

Pickford - Stopped us getting the absolute twatting we deserved.

Branthwaite - Acquitted himself reasonably well in a sea of shite.

Mykolenko - For the most part he handled Saka ok. Especially considering he had McNeil 'helping' him, which mostly involved watching Mykolenko deal with him on his lonesome from 15 yards away.

Fuck off and when you get there fuck off some more, and keep on fucking off until you can't possibly fuck off any more -

Young - He's experienced alright, experienced at being a steaming turd. I'd prefer to see him nowhere near the pitch but at the very least keep him away from set-pieces because if I have to watch him float the ball into the keepers hands one more time I'm going to run on to the pitch and kill him.

Tarkowski - It's becoming apparent why Michael Keane has more England caps than him.

Danjuma - Was he playing?

Doucoure - I forgot to put him in :lol:. What a bag of shite he was - it was one of those games you only know he's playing when he does his two left feet act. Fucking hell.

Onana - I naively thought he'd turn up today because it was a 'big' club in town. I couldn't have been more mistaken because what a cowardly display that was. I bet he's brilliant at hide and seek.

McNeil - Not a chance he was fit enough to be out there today. I mean, he's slow as shit anyway but there was absolutely nothing from him today. Couldn't pass, couldn't track back, couldn't get forward. He was a sitting duck that hung Mykolenko out to dry.

Gana - I don't know if he was even that bad because he at least tried I suppose, but when the rest of the midfield is utterly non-existent he's going to get dragged down with them no matter what.

Beto - I expected him to at least bully their centre-backs, but they had him in their pocket.

Thought defensively we were pretty solid but we never showed any attacking intent at all

Plan A was to park the bus, which worked well for 70 minutes but the problem is once they did score it was game over because there was no plan B

We have fuck all on the bench because the squad is so threadbare so we are going to have to get used to the fact that there will be no plan B for the foreseeable future

The better side won but that Ref was beyond a joke so that didn’t help either

Ben White spent more time laying down on the Goodison turf than he does on his sunbed, and he wasn’t the only Arsenal player guilty of gamesmanship so how the Ref only added on 4 minutes is beyond me

My conclusions from today: we’re a bang average team at best. But I think we all knew that already.

I take it as a positive that we only lost by one. Arsenal are a million miles ahead of us. And that’s the saddest part of all. 

We’re utterly boring to watch. Football is supposed to be a form of entertainment. You win some, you lose some, and your emotions are stirred one way or the other. But you’re not supposed to come away from the experience feeling you’ve literally just wasted 2 hours of your life.

The 4minutes was bizarre when you consider how they've been giving stoppage time this season.  That said we wouldn't have scored with another 30 minutes. 

Some good defending but so poor on the ball, didn't see any glame plan besides sticking in as long as possible . Never got the ball into Beto or down the wings which you would expect to be the plan. 

Great return to the team for Mykolenko.  Dealt with Saka brilliantly. 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Did we go toe to toe? Or did we just sit back and see how long we could on for.

poor tactics, play to our strengths. 

This is my point tho. We didn’t go to toe because we don’t have the squad for it. This team would’ve absolutely crushed us if we played that way. 

what are our strengths? What would you suggest we do against Arsenal?

As much as I think Dyche set us up to play exactly how we played I don’t think it’s totally fair to blame him for being 5 games in to a season with 1 point. If anything I’ll judge him from the point we signed a striker - Fulham & Wolves are dropped points that the board need to shoulder blame for not having a striker in when we desperately needed one.

Also I don’t think we will ever be a team that can play passing football when we have Doucoure & Gana in the midfield. Onana can do more on the ball but that probably looks better than it is because the other 2 are completely inept with the ball.

Drop Young so he cannot take set pieces either.

We have some really crucial fixtures now & nothing but wins will be acceptable. No more walking away from games saying “we created chances” or “the ref was shite” - Brentford & Luton are must win games.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

As much as I think Dyche set us up to play exactly how we played I don’t think it’s totally fair to blame him for being 5 games in to a season with 1 point. If anything I’ll judge him from the point we signed a striker - Fulham & Wolves are dropped points that the board need to shoulder blame for not having a striker in when we desperately needed one.

Also I don’t think we will ever be a team that can play passing football when we have Doucoure & Gana in the midfield. Onana can do more on the ball but that probably looks better than it is because the other 2 are completely inept with the ball.

Drop Young so he cannot take set pieces either.

We have some really crucial fixtures now & nothing but wins will be acceptable. No more walking away from games saying “we created chances” or “the ref was shite” - Brentford & Luton are must win games.

You don’t really expect to beat Brentford 

We have to sort the midfield out there’s no creativity whatsoever. 
mid he keeps dropping Patterson he will never improve you have to give him game time 

Branthwaite and Mykolenko best outfield players 

can someone explain why Young is a starter 

I’m already worried about Beto for 25m I hope I’m wrong 

7 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

This is my point tho. We didn’t go to toe because we don’t have the squad for it. This team would’ve absolutely crushed us if we played that way. 

what are our strengths? What would you suggest we do against Arsenal?

Our strengths are that we have two 6ft 4 strikers who are mobile, physical, and would give the arsenal centre halves something to worry about. 

instead we have a 3 man midfield who can’t pass it, who can’t get the ball wide to 2 players who barely touched the ball.  

we should have gone direct to Beto and DCL, arsenal wouldn’t have been able to commit so many players forward. 

shit tactics. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Trust me we will regret selling Iwobi and not taking up the right to buy Coady, no other team would have made such catastrophic mistakes by not keeping those 2 players in the team if they had a squad made up of the players we have in ours. 

I'm already regretting it. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Trust me we will regret selling Iwobi and not taking up the right to buy Coady, no other team would have made such catastrophic mistakes by not keeping those 2 players in the team if they had a squad made up of the players we have in ours. 

Just curious, but what would either of them have offered? 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just curious, but what would either of them have offered? 

Iwobi as I said in another thread was the only player we had left who could go in midfield and take some control of the ball who had the vision to put people through, Coady would have made a better partnership with Brainthwaite we would have had to CD with cool heads who can read the game and because they both have abilities with the ball could have helped keep the ball and calmed things down. 

6 minutes ago, patto said:

Coady is no better than what we have and we couldn’t let Iwobi walk for free 

Coady is better than Tarkowski who is looking like a donkey. And why can’t you let Iwobi walk on a free if he’s the only player in the team who can give you some control in midfield and play the balls through that front and wide men need to feed off. 

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Coady is better than Tarkowski who is looking like a donkey. And why can’t you let Iwobi walk on a free if he’s the only player in the team who can give you some control in midfield and play the balls through that front and wide men need to feed off. 

It’s what they call business you can’t just lose 22m on a whim. 

3 hours ago, patto said:

Coady is no better than what we have and we couldn’t let Iwobi walk for free 

The regret was for Iwobi, not Coady.

As a club, we appear to lose money on a whim every year, either buying rubbish or sacking managers.

Iwobi had at least some creative ability and did his best playing centrally under Lampard. Not perfect for sure, but miles better than what we have left.

The 22million may look like small change if we go down.

My assessment

1. It was our worst performance of the season by a mile. I am not talking about the result. I expected us to have little to no possession and unlike other matches create very few chances, but against those low expectations I thought we stunk the place out. As others have said, the inability to pass to another blue shirt on the deck was horrific.

2. Beto looked gassed earlier on. That long run he had first half when he couldn't get the better of Saliba....I thought he was gassed then, possibly because he seemed to be closing down on his own. Not a team press. Not sure why the a disconnect there.

3. McNeil was bad. I thought he was worse when he switched to the right flank. I hadn't actually thought that it might be because he wasn't fit (as Romey said), so fair point. 

4. We aren't often unanimous on a subject but I think we are when it comes to Ashely Young taking set pieces. Please STOP now. Just stop.

5. Arsenal weren't "Pep era Barcelona" but they still were very good I thought. Very slick. Not as much end product as say a Man City but they can murder you with the ball and movement....which was evident,

Suspect all the games against the "big teams" will be defensive low block bore fests.  Have to assume that in games where Dyche thinks we can compete that we'll see some vintage Burnely 4-4-2 with a as many crosses as possible coming in from Harrison and McNeil.  It's going to be pretty awful either way, but I can't imagine that we'll continue to play that midfield three except when we're parking the bus.  

Dyche's biggest threat is going to be his own turgid decision making in game.  As soon as we went behind he needed to change the system and tactics.  Leaving it as it was sapped whatever energy the crowd and team might have found if we'd actually gone for it at that point.  Trying to do that in the last 5-10 was pointless.  If plan A is park the bus, plan B has to be blood and thunder immediately once the bus is sunk.