IGNORED

The shite (Away) 21st October

Cornish Steve

I thought we looked comfortable first half we out looking threatening even when Young was sent off we still looked in control defensively with a threat on the break. The 2nd half subs I found bizarre with taking both wide men off not so much with Keane coming on and going with 3 central defenders and 2 full backs packing the midfield and trying to defend for 45 minutes is ridiculous we ended up being sacrificial lambs with no way out over 35 yards from our goal, poor tactics that always meant we were going to lose.  

Im convinced  if we go to 10 aside we get a draw, its 0-0 at the time,they overloaded down that side to cross the ball that hit Keane.

and we would have have come out more to try and score, its one of the worst refereeing decisions i have seen, but no one will kick up about it because its only everton, not like the outcry after the shits decision against spurs. 

On 23/10/2023 at 12:42, Palfy said:

I thought we looked comfortable first half we out looking threatening even when Young was sent off we still looked in control defensively with a threat on the break. The 2nd half subs I found bizarre with taking both wide men off not so much with Keane coming on and going with 3 central defenders and 2 full backs packing the midfield and trying to defend for 45 minutes is ridiculous we ended up being sacrificial lambs with no way out over 35 yards from our goal, poor tactics that always meant we were going to lose.  

I don't agree. When you go down to 10 men away at Anfeild and you are at 0-0, I think the right thing to do is play in a way that is going to give you the best opertunity to stop them scoring for the rest of the game.

In the first half Liverpools best chances came on the back of us having the ball offensivly in their half. I think Liverpool actually looked less likley to score when we when down to 10 men and we basically shut up shop. We defended solidy, and it took a handball and a penalty to break the deadlock. Liverpool offered very little else to be honest.

The hope of nicking a win is all but gone, and the odds are you are going to be backs against the wall anyhow (whether you keep a winger on or a defender). So you may has well have as solid a back against the wall line up as you can.

keeping a winger on might releave the pressure for a few seconds here and there, but it would be at the expense of another defensive player.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I don't agree. When you go down to 10 men away at Anfeild and you are at 0-0, I think the right thing to do is play in a way that is going to give you the best opertunity to stop them scoring for the rest of the game.

In the first half Liverpools best chances came on the back of us having the ball offensivly in their half. I think Liverpool actually looked less likley to score when we when down to 10 men and we basically shut up shop. We defended solidy, and it took a handball and a penalty to break the deadlock. Liverpool offered very little else to be honest.

The hope of nicking a win is all but gone, and the odds are you are going to be backs against the wall anyhow (whether you keep a winger on or a defender). So you may has well have as solid a back against the wall line up as you can.

keeping a winger on might releave the pressure for a few seconds here and there, but it would be at the expense of another defensive player.

Then you still lose and you haven’t got the players at your disposal to try and get back into the game, when he took both wide men off and packed the defence and midfield we were all ways going to lose with 45 minutes to play, there the sort of tactics you implement with 10 minutes to go not 45, it was suicidal to even think we could hold out for 45 minutes at Anfield. 

It's definitely easier to be wiser after the event, isn't it? And if you're playing out and get a man thrown out with another half to go, then you think about defending that point.

As I see it, Dyche only made one error by not taking out Young after his first yellow card. And perhaps also using another player for the whole game instead of Young.

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Then you still lose and you haven’t got the players at your disposal to try and get back into the game, when he took both wide men off and packed the defence and midfield we were all ways going to lose with 45 minutes to play, there the sort of tactics you implement with 10 minutes to go not 45, it was suicidal to even think we could hold out for 45 minutes at Anfield. 

Not really, as you still have Danjuma and Beto on the bench as offensive player who can come on, so some players are still at your disposal. In the last 5-10min we did actually make an attempt to get play further up the pitch for an equaliser. 

When you go to 10 men then an unwanted desision has to be made. I just don't have a problem with Dyche going more defensive being a man down away to Liverpool. I just don't see it as bizarre, ridiculus or suicidal. 

If we when 10 men at home to a team we are on top of then I would maybe question going so defensive, but away to Liverpool it a perfectely reasonable way to try and keep hold of a point. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

We held out for forty minutes OK.

No we held out for 30 minutes in the 2nd half after we made the changes and went totally defensive we had no thoughts of trying to win the game on the break, the 10 minutes after Young was sent off in the first half we still defended well and got forward on the break to give them something to think about, 2nd half completely camped in our own half trying to defend a draw for 45 minutes without an option to change the feel of the game and once they scored we had lost we’d taken the players off that may have given us a chance of getting back at them, in some belief we could stop them from scoring for 45 minutes our whole tactics were based on one thing that was we had to stop them scoring, once they had which I felt was inevitable then we had nothing to answer that with, it was like it wasn’t part of the equation from the management perspective. 

• 3 months later...