IGNORED

Nottingham Forest (Away) 2nd December

Romey 1878

11 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

I think Patterson can struggle defensively. I would be fine with the decision of young has been solid defensively. But he’s been awful week in week out. He’ll have a yellow in the first 15 minutes of this one yet again.

Once again, it's a clean sheet. It may not alway be pretty, but our defence lets in fewer goals than most.

• Everton have won four of their last five Premier League away games, as many as in their previous 42 games on the road. This is the first time they have won three consecutive away league games since February 2021.

• Having lost just two of their 20 Premier League home games between October 2022 and November 2023, Nottingham Forest have now lost their last two matches at the City Ground.

• Dwight McNeil scored his first Premier League goal of the season for Everton, with what was his 22nd shot of the campaign.

• Everton have scored first in four of their last five Premier League games and have never lost when opening the scoring under Sean Dyche (W10 D4).

• Everton forward Beto has now had 18 shots without scoring in the Premier League this season. Only Chelsea's Enzo Fernandez has had more (22).

Having settled down and slept, I don’t think we should ignore how important that win was for us, not only will it give the players the boost in confidence and faith in themselves that they can overcome the points deduction, it will have caused concern in the clubs around us, they will have seen that we’re not the basket case we were this time last season and any glimmer of hope they may have had thinking we will be in the bottom three will have disappeared.

2 tough home games in quick succession where we can get 6 points and get out of the bottom 3.💙

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

We need dcl back fit asap.  Beto….. FFS…. I knew he was raw, I wasn’t expecting harlaand but the lad was disgustingly lazy last night. 

the bare minimum we should expect from a striker is a shift.   He did that jogging then break into a sprint 3 seconds too late thing.   Burns my head. 

Tbf, we probably through him back in when he's not fully fit after his injury because we had to.

I don't think he played well but lets not slaughter him and write him off just yet.

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Tbf, we probably through him back in when he's not fully fit after his injury because we had to.

I don't think he played well but lets not slaughter him and write him off just yet.

I’d love to agree… but I was absolutely gutted with him last night. 

Everyone knows I’ve got a radar for strikers - he did that shit that wasn’t anything to do with fitness or sharpness. He just wasn’t up for it at all. 

I do think he’s low on confidence but he’s extremely low on effort. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I’d love to agree… but I was absolutely gutted with him last night. 

Everyone knows I’ve got a radar for strikers - he did that shit that wasn’t anything to do with fitness or sharpness. He just wasn’t up for it at all. 

I do think he’s low on confidence but he’s extremely low on effort. 

For me he lacks the instinct and movement required to make it in this league, not so much lazy but more out of his depth. He’s got a lot to learn if he wants to make it here. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Everyone knows I’ve got a radar for strikers

Sorry, but I just can't let this pass. Remember when we had one of the top 30 best strikers of the past decade - better than van Persie, Robben, Torres, Giroud, and Falcao? :) (He's ranked #26.)

https://www.givemesport.com/87988881-ronaldo-messi-neymar-zlatan-top-50-forwards-of-the-2010s-ranked/

I was disappointed with Beto as well, but we'll see a big change in him once he bags a couple of goals. It's clear he's a confidence player: that's the issue right now, not lack of ability.

3 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Sorry, but I just can't let this pass. Remember when we had one of the top 30 best strikers of the past decade - better than van Persie, Robben, Torres, Giroud, and Falcao? :) (He's ranked #26.)

https://www.givemesport.com/87988881-ronaldo-messi-neymar-zlatan-top-50-forwards-of-the-2010s-ranked/

I was disappointed with Beto as well, but we'll see a big change in him once he bags a couple of goals. It's clear he's a confidence player: that's the issue right now, not lack of ability.

Lukaku went under the radar for some:P

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Lukaku went under the radar for some:P

There are some similarities since Lukaku would come across as lazy, but he was a top goalscorer nonetheless. Whether it's pacing himself - choosing which opportunities to chase and not others - or something else, I'd rather a goalscorer that comes across as lazy than a busy bee whose goal stats don't warrant a second glance.

What matters in the end is scoring goals. I'm confident Beto will get there once this initial famine ends.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I’m not gonna lie - as soon as I seen Lukaku ranked higher than fernando Torres I laughed…. When I seen Jamie vardy ranked higher than Wayne Rooney I thought it was a joke. 

you see Steve… the irony is that Lukaku should be where Harry Kane is.  One player had all the physical gifts and a knack for scoring and the other player had all the mental gifts and a knack for scoring. one said he had nothing to learn from the other before he lost the golden boot due to his complacency (costing us top 4). 

A few years down the line one of them is being loaned here there and everywhere cos he can’t do it at the highest level, the other is cementing his place as arguably one of the best strikers in the game alongside haarland, mbappe.

thanks for the link though, good laugh. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

There are some similarities since Lukaku would come across as lazy, but he was a top goalscorer nonetheless. Whether it's pacing himself - choosing which opportunities to chase and not others - or something else, I'd rather a goalscorer that comes across as lazy than a busy bee whose goal stats don't warrant a second glance.

What matters in the end is scoring goals. I'm confident Beto will get there once this initial famine ends.

There are similarities…. Both players a big athletes who should bully centre halves for fun but don’t. 

working hard and scoring goals isn’t mutually exclusive. I’m pretty sure this topic has been discussed a million times and is one of the reasons why aguero got dropped by pep. If you can’t do the pressing then you are out. 

2 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Amazing how if you don't score 20 goals within your first 5 matches as a striker for Everton you're immediately shite. Jesus wept, Beto has moved to a new team (that's a bit shit), new league and new country and because he's not tearing the place up I'm hearing he's Championship level at best :lol:.

He might be good, might be shite. Too early to tell. Regardless, give the lad a chance ffs. 

Let's also not forget that Beto won the free kick that led to our goal.

22 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Amazing how if you don't score 20 goals within your first 5 matches as a striker for Everton you're immediately shite. Jesus wept, Beto has moved to a new team (that's a bit shit), new league and new country and because he's not tearing the place up I'm hearing he's Championship level at best :lol:.

He might be good, might be shite. Too early to tell. Regardless, give the lad a chance ffs. 

I don’t think anyone is complaining about him not scoring tbh. 

I’ve pretty much stated that he looks raw too and that’s fine. 

the one thing he certainly isn’t is weak and slow, so I don’t expect to see him lumber around like Salomon Rondon.  His effort was piss poor imo 

55 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don’t think anyone is complaining about him not scoring tbh. 

I’ve pretty much stated that he looks raw too and that’s fine. 

the one thing he certainly isn’t is weak and slow, so I don’t expect to see him lumber around like Salomon Rondon.  His effort was piss poor imo 

It’s not just about scoring goals it’s about his all round ability and to be fair I and it’s just my opinion don’t think he has much he can’t trap a ball to save his life. 

If we are looking for a big man up front who just bullies and roughs up CBs that’s all well and good, but that only works if we get 2 or 3 men around him to feed off the loose ball but that isn’t what’s happening. So he needs a more all around game to be effective and he just doesn’t seem to have that in his arsenal, his first touch is below average and doesn’t take him away from players, his finishing with head or feet is poor normally high or wide, and he can be quite static in the danger area where he needs to make a just a yard of movement to find some space it’s a instinctive game being a striker. An example of him not showing instinct was when he didn’t follow a shot in that was spilled them sort of opportunities should be bread and butter to strikers. So for me seeing what I’m seeing it’s not so much he’s lazy or unfit it’s more his ability to be more than just a battering ram.