IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home) 14th January

Romey 1878

second half I think we brought them down to our level a bit in the second half, which is what you have to do against teams who play well and in good form.

second clean sheet in a row helps build confidence, Doucs back with a game under his belt, goes on the board as a well earned point.

shy on quality, but they battled to the end. 

Good grafting draw that.

Love our attitude these days. Proper go toe to toe with anyone and everyone...we've missed that for years.

Even the famous Dogs of War didn't finish games with 2 players bloodied and still on 😂

Yeah, our passing is frustrating and having a seriously out of form striker is likely costing us just now.

The attitude though....ooooooh yeah!

👏👏👏

Settle for a point against Villa, we were in and out of the game today, a bit more belief needed, and certainty better passing required.

Thought we missed a trick by not bringing on Gomes for the last half hour, best passer at the club, and them playing such a high line.

That was an awful game of football to sit (stand) through. I see some of you praising Villa but I thought they were poor and you wouldn't have known they were a side at the top of the league. Especially as they seemed quite content with an away point fairly on in the game and were time wasting at every opportunity.

Both sides had their chances in the game - first half Villa had a lot of the ball but I thought we had the better chances and in the second half Villa were the better and more threatening side. So I felt a draw was a fair result in the end.

The use of VAR today just highlights why fans (at the game especially) are so fucked off with it. Why on earth did it take so long to rule the Villa goal out when it was clear as fuck that it was offside? Because it was taking a long time to make a decision we were all stood there saying it must be a close one, but then when it showed the image on the screen once the decision had been made it was comfortably offside and it's madness that it took them 4/5 minutes to get to it! 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was going to mention this too. Clean tackle that the ref deemed fine and gave a throw in. Then gave it as a foul and a yellow card. 

Coote is one of the worst of the lot and earlier in the game when Tarkowski went down after a challenge from Watkins the ref rightly gave a foul, but he wasn't going to take any further action. He only decided that Watkins should be booked after he went and checked on Tarks and seen that he was bleeding. It was like he thought "oh there's blood, I better book him".

The officiating in this league is abysmal.

• This was Aston Villa boss Unai Emery’s first ever 0-0 draw as a manager in the Premier League, in his 97th match. This is the longest start to a Premier League managerial career before being involved in a 0-0 by any manager in the competition’s history.

• Aston Villa (107) and Everton (104) have been involved in more Premier League goalless draws than any other sides, with eight of those coming in meetings against one another. Only Everton v Liverpool (12) and Everton v Tottenham (9) have seen more.

• Aston Villa are unbeaten in 10 Premier League meetings with Everton (W7 D3), their longest top-flight unbeaten run against a single opponent since another run against Everton from November 2006 to January 2012 (12 games).

• Since a run of four consecutive league wins between 2nd and 16th December, Everton have failed to win each of their last four matches in the competition (D1 L3).

• This was only the third time this season that Aston Villa failed to score in a Premier League game (also v Liverpool in September and Nottingham Forest in November), and their 16 shots against Everton was the most in any of the games which they failed to score.

• Seamus Coleman made his 355th Premier League appearance for Everton, surpassing Tim Howard (354) as the club’s record appearance maker in the competition.