IGNORED

What Are You Watching?

Pat

I've watched the wire and sopranos which I believe are the best television series I've ever seen. I'm debating to watch next. Is sons of anarchy any good?

Breaking Bad - best series of the lot. Trying to get into Sons of Anarchy but it's not helped by my dislike of Charlie Hunnam. Ray Donovan is very good. A lot if people rave about the Walking Dead but I've not seen it.

Liked him in Ballykissangel and a couple of his early films were good; Phone Booth in particular and The Recruit I quite enjoyed but not much since. Alexander would be towards the top of my list of worst films ever made.

True Detective good is it?

He's brilliant in In Bruge - great film!

J', I saw something up your alley last night. Bruce Timm's Gods and Monsters. I thought it was pretty good too, it was an original Justice League animated film i.e. not based on a comic. It was as if the Sentinels from X-Men had decided to attack the Justice League.

I liked Walking Dead but once the zombies are out of the equation, it's a soap and I lost interest. There's a new spin off in the works.

J', I saw something up your alley last night. Bruce Timm's Gods and Monsters. I thought it was pretty good too, it was an original Justice League animated film i.e. not based on a comic. It was as if the Sentinels from X-Men had decided to attack the Justice League.

I liked Walking Dead but once the zombies are out of the equation, it's a soap and I lost interest. There's a new spin off in the works.

The zombies go?!

I watched "The Road" last night. Post apocalyptic stuff with Viggo Mortensen, was very good and was (I think) trying to make valid comments on morality. Disappointed with the end though, but I'm unsure how it could have ended differently, was never going to be "happy".

I watched "The Road" last night. Post apocalyptic stuff with Viggo Mortensen, was very good and was (I think) trying to make valid comments on morality. Disappointed with the end though, but I'm unsure how it could have ended differently, was never going to be "happy".

Great movie. Yes good social commentary as well. But like you the end did leave me wanting.

Speaking of apocalyptic movies, have you seen The Quiet Earth?

It's an older one (1970s) with an very interesting ending.

In the couple of weeks I've seen;

Furious 7

Ex Machina

Dumb and dumber to

Miss meadows

Focus

True story

Furious was same old, cars guns and plenty of action.

Ex Machina was brilliant. Not what I expected at all.

Dumb and dumber was a laugh, just like the first one.

Miss meadows was crap. Don't watch it.

Focus was brilliant too, wasn't how I thought it would go.

True story, had no idea about it, but was very good. But a difficult watch at times.

There was a couple of others but can't remember.

And now I'm watching my life slip away as the new wife catches up on hollyoaks!

In the couple of weeks I've seen;

Furious 7

Ex Machina

Dumb and dumber to

Miss meadows

Focus

True story

Furious was same old, cars guns and plenty of action.

Ex Machina was brilliant. Not what I expected at all.

Dumb and dumber was a laugh, just like the first one.

Miss meadows was crap. Don't watch it.

Focus was brilliant too, wasn't how I thought it would go.

True story, had no idea about it, but was very good. But a difficult watch at times.

There was a couple of others but can't remember.

And now I'm watching my life slip away as the new wife catches up on hollyoaks!

Wife has just watched Focus and told me I need to watch it, with a second recommendation I will do.

Just downloaded the third series of Vikings, really enjoyed the first two and wasn't even aware they'd made a third until yesterday. That'll be a marathon session.

I saw the trailer for it, it looks odd. Is it worth it?

Also, have you seen Attack on titan (Anime)? You might like that!

Also, have you seen Attack on titan (Anime)? You might like that!

Only watched the first series, forgot what ep I was up to and just not got round to it again. Mad how destructive it is, loved the spiderman-esque zipwires they use.

Only watched the first series, forgot what ep I was up to and just not got round to it again. Mad how destructive it is, loved the spiderman-esque zipwires they use.

And graphic. Love the ODM's, love how they work. Not realistic like but its cool.

I like the depth of characters and back story. You get a real understanding of the characters.

Yeah. It's only £10 on Blu-Ray in Sainsbury's.

It takes awhile to figure out who everyone is because it's an alternate timeline. It works well. I recommend it, actually - especially to you 'cause I know you're into that kind of thing. The opening scene is Zod adding his DNA to Lara's pod to make Kal-El/Superman his own son.

I haven't seen Attack on Titan. I will check it out. The last anime I watched was the first episode of Death note. I thought it was quite good and turned dark pretty quickly,it was a pretty original premise. I'm not sure why I've not watched any more of it.

So, Fantastic Four reviews are positively AWFUL.

The fact it had a media embargo on the reviews til the day before was quite telling but apparently it's even worse than people imagined.

Fant4stic could have addressed all of the previous complaints and would have still emerged as a pretty bad movie; above everything else, the biggest problem with the film is its story. Not just that it’s poorly conceived and not fleshed out at all, but that it’s told in such a lazy, haphazard way.

There’s the usual protracted pre-transformation set-up that’s been mandatory since Batman Begins, which runs for the first half of the movie and falls flat thanks to the poorly written characters. Then bright lights happen, powers are given, heroes are captured and… we jump forward a year inexplicably. OK, so things are going to look at how they’ve changed in that time, right? Nope. All of a sudden the third act motivation – heralded by the return of Doom – appears out of nowhere and we’re into a rushed final sequence where the heroes’ first attempt to stop the destruction of Earth actually works. THE END.

That’s it. That is the most measured way to present Fant4stic’s narrative. I’d say it was written for an audience with a severely short attention span, constantly mixing up the status quo just to make things appear vaguely interesting, but the short run time suggests key development points were actually edited out, leading to such incredibly choppy pacing. Again – an explanation, not an excuse.

Fant4stic is barely a movie. It’s a bunch of vaguely connected moments cobbled together to 100 minutes so it can qualify for a cinematic release; the idea there’s a coherent narrative with a flowing story between its vaguely defined beginning and end is so contentious it’s insulting.

Here’s the Thing About ‘Fantastic Four’: It’s Pretty Terrible (Review)

IN DEPTH FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIE REVIEW

To hell with embargoes! The Outhouse has an early review of Fox's Fantastic Four film!

Shit sandwich.

That's the actual review.

Oh dear.

Edited by tenaciousj

shame. That must have killed the cross over film for x men? miles teller is a great actor. whiplash is one of my

favourite ever films

All 5 of them are excellent actors. They've just been shafted with a shite script and dodgy studio meddling.

Much better in Marvel's hands.

Think that may be the last we see of the F4 on big screen.

Whiplash is amazing. Loved it but wasn't sure why. So intense.

All 5 of them are excellent actors. They've just been shafted with a shite script and dodgy studio meddling.

Much better in Marvel's hands.

Think that may be the last we see of the F4 on big screen.

Whiplash is amazing. Loved it but wasn't sure why. So intense.

I imagine you're ahead of me here, but the director's just done four podcasts with Kevin Smith if you're interested (only three are out, so far). It's also rumoured that that Fox Studios removed three action scenes, edited scenes to their own taste and replaced the final battle scene. Apparently, Trank's vision was very different to what was released.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/josh-trank-in-the-fat-cave/

http://smodcast.com/episodes/josh-trank-too/

http://smodcast.com/episodes/josh-trank-part-3/