IGNORED

What Are You Watching?

Pat

Watch Time with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham on the iPlayer, was very good. Always had a fascination with prisons (not to the extent that I'd like to be locked up in one:unsure:) and this came across, to me at least, as quite realistic....other than the female chaplain wandering about totally unguarded which didn't seem right.

On 13/06/2021 at 16:36, MikeO said:

Watch Time with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham on the iPlayer, was very good. Always had a fascination with prisons (not to the extent that I'd like to be locked up in one:unsure:) and this came across, to me at least, as quite realistic....other than the female chaplain wandering about totally unguarded which didn't seem right.

I thought that. She can go wondering in and out of the cells yet the prison guards need back up 😂

Really good short series though and they have left themselves open for a second series too.

Stephen Graham is a really good actor for these type of roles. He has been really good in every show I have seen him in.

59 minutes ago, Bailey said:

😂

Stephen Graham is a really good actor for these type of roles. He has been really good in every show I have seen him in.

He really is. First saw him playing Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire, which I didn't like very much but wife loved it, was really odd to discover he was Scouse.

21 hours ago, MikeO said:

He really is. First saw him playing Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire, which I didn't like very much but wife loved it, was really odd to discover he was Scouse.

He was brilliant in Boardwalk Empire, although I first knew of him from Snatch 

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I wish we hadn't had to wait so long for it but Black Widow is a very good movie.

Difficult one this, wife was drawn into the Marvel universe by Josh and for years I've been taking them to the cinema on release days; this one she saw the trailer for (it was due out last May I think) but will obviously never see. Josh a bit conflicted and emotional but not got plans to see it yet, even though he's been waiting for it for so long.

Grief chucks you so many unexpected swerve balls.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Difficult one this, wife was drawn into the Marvel universe by Josh and for years I've been taking them to the cinema on release days; this one she saw the trailer for (it was due out last May I think) but will obviously never see. Josh a bit conflicted and emotional but not got plans to see it yet, even though he's been waiting for it for so long.

Sad to hear that, at least she got to see the trailer which is something :). Could be a film that's good to watch together at home, with your other half there in spirit of course. 

Hope you and Josh are doing well under the circumstances.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

The movie is very much centred around family, so could be good to watch it or go the other way entirely.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got an Apple TV+ subscription, so finally getting around to watching Ted Lasso. Not sure if it's been discussed in this thread (can't be bothered to look 😀) but my word is it fantastic. The first 10 minutes of episode one had me laughing harder and more often than any show I've seen in quite a while.

14 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Finally got an Apple TV+ subscription, so finally getting around to watching Ted Lasso. Not sure if it's been discussed in this thread (can't be bothered to look 😀) but my word is it fantastic. The first 10 minutes of episode one had me laughing harder and more often than any show I've seen in quite a while.

Watch mosquito coast, for my money it was the best show on apple tv

4 hours ago, Matt said:

You have apple TV? 

Yeah my wife got it to watch Ted lasso she loves that show.  I couldn’t find anything on there really for me but I watch mosquito coast (based on the book) and it was like crack.  I could not stop watching it, was on the edge of my seat.  Loved it.  Justin Theroux is the lead actor, he’s good.

its 5 bucks a month.  Add to that Netflix and Disney+ (Disney Hulu espn+) I’m at 35 bucks a month for the families viewing programs. Sure beats what cable costs (basic is 120+ a month)

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah my wife got it to watch Ted lasso she loves that show.  I couldn’t find anything on there really for me but I watch mosquito coast (based on the book) and it was like crack.  I could not stop watching it, was on the edge of my seat.  Loved it.  Justin Theroux is the lead actor, he’s good.

its 5 bucks a month.  Add to that Netflix and Disney+ (Disney Hulu espn+) I’m at 35 bucks a month for the families viewing programs. Sure beats what cable costs (basic is 120+ a month)

Glad to hear. I was just surprised about the company was all. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Glad to hear. I was just surprised about the company was all. 

yeah good point, honestly i'd not looked into their practices until you said this, found a million articles within a couple second google search.  i own an iphone as well, wife owns a macbook.  i guess my question to myself is if i go off apple, is android/competition any better or is it just a different packaged version of the same thing really?  my issue with amazon is that i can actually buy (and do!) from local booksellers, local shops, local grocery stores that are local businesses and have better business practices (i can physically see it, talk to their employees, have friends that work there).  thats evident.  i'm not sure if switching electronics provider (or removing apple tv) gives me a tangible result of improvement.  does android not source rare earth minerals?  is their manufacturing stateside or is it also in some massive china sketchy joint?  (need to look).

i appreciate the thought provoking question matt, i really do, it's one of the reasons i enjoy you on this forum.  so now i guess i need to do more research.

On 28/08/2021 at 19:35, markjazzbassist said:

yeah good point, honestly i'd not looked into their practices until you said this, found a million articles within a couple second google search.  i own an iphone as well, wife owns a macbook.  i guess my question to myself is if i go off apple, is android/competition any better or is it just a different packaged version of the same thing really?  my issue with amazon is that i can actually buy (and do!) from local booksellers, local shops, local grocery stores that are local businesses and have better business practices (i can physically see it, talk to their employees, have friends that work there).  thats evident.  i'm not sure if switching electronics provider (or removing apple tv) gives me a tangible result of improvement.  does android not source rare earth minerals?  is their manufacturing stateside or is it also in some massive china sketchy joint?  (need to look).

i appreciate the thought provoking question matt, i really do, it's one of the reasons i enjoy you on this forum.  so now i guess i need to do more research.

Sorry I missed this whilst I was travelling back. Glad it got you thinking :)

So far as I know, no company is perfect especially the tech giants. Android is just the software (open source to a degree, meaning you're not a slave to Apples ecosystem and much more flexible), but other tech giants who use the software, like Samsumg, don't have clean hands either. My big problem with Apple is how they treat everyone. Basically, they designed their entire business of making you dependent on them. Not to mention the spent more than a decade deliberately manufacturing faults in their batteries so it would die quicker (replacement batteries + labour being only slightly cheaper than an upgrade). Their new models also have been made to be impossible to repair yourself/3rd party repairs, which goes against an EU law of having a right to repair yourself (to cut down on waste). They're like the Borg :lol:

I finally made the transition to android 6months ago and my tech stress dropped massively to nearly nothing. The only reason I didn't do it sooner was that the whole family was on apple so Facetime and the photo streams were the main way to stay in touch whilst I lived abroad. Now I'm back in England, no need for them and dropped Apple instantly. Sooooooo satisfying and, as I said, much less stressful. My Samsung is much easier to use, Samsungs camera is miles better too, quicker, much more customisable, much better screen but most importantly, very much my "own experience" rather than using Apples enforced vision.  Simple example... on iPhone you used to be able to toggle Bluetooth on and off via the command center. Do you remember when Apple decided that when you turn off Bluetooth through the command center, it only paused Bluetooth? Meaning it kept it on standby and came back on when it wanted, chewing through the battery life without you knowing? Well with Android, I can turn it on and off along with 30 other things and it does as its told. A really stupid and simple example but not having to go through menus to make sure the off button actually turned something off is one thing that drove me nuts, and all because they decided it was best for your experience. 

Fuck Apple. 

yes apple sucks but in my research there is only 1 ethical phone manufacturer, FairPhone.  They are android and use ethical metals and recycled gold and plastic.  issue is they are only good in europe, it doesn't have great service in the US.  Also Apple got better reviews than Samsung as a company on a few different things, so until FairPhone gets US coverage i'm stuck.

Lastly, my phone is paid off, so i'm not looking to get a new one until it breaks.

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes apple sucks but in my research there is only 1 ethical phone manufacturer, FairPhone.  They are android and use ethical metals and recycled gold and plastic.  issue is they are only good in europe, it doesn't have great service in the US.  Also Apple got better reviews than Samsung as a company on a few different things, so until FairPhone gets US coverage i'm stuck.

Lastly, my phone is paid off, so i'm not looking to get a new one until it breaks.

Just to be clear mate, they're not Android. Rather, they use Android. Also, the service isn't model dependent, its just they dont ship there yet. When you go to change in a year or so (I assume you got an iphone which will programmed to fail), hopefully they'll be shipping to the US. But good find, if I hadn't recently changed mine I would go for that.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just to be clear mate, they're not Android. Rather, they use Android. Also, the service isn't model dependent, its just they dont ship there yet. When you go to change in a year or so (I assume you got an iphone which will programmed to fail), hopefully they'll be shipping to the US. But good find, if I hadn't recently changed mine I would go for that.

yep sorry thats what i meant, they use android.  they do ship to the US now, but they don't have agreements with the cell tower owners.  SIDE NOTE:  in the US the cell towers are owned by different companies, they are not state owned.  meaning some companies have better service (verizon is good where i live, Sprint is bad, AT&T is ok) in different areas depending on what towers they own (or what deals they strike with owners of other towers).

So all that to say they have a note on Fairphone support page saying they dont' offer 4G service in the US, it's mostly 3G or 2G.  That's just not gonna work for me, i do a fair bit of camping in the middle of nowhere and need a phone that can get me directions to/from.  i barely get by with Verizon.

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yep sorry thats what i meant, they use android.  they do ship to the US now, but they don't have agreements with the cell tower owners.  SIDE NOTE:  in the US the cell towers are owned by different companies, they are not state owned.  meaning some companies have better service (verizon is good where i live, Sprint is bad, AT&T is ok) in different areas depending on what towers they own (or what deals they strike with owners of other towers).

So all that to say they have a note on Fairphone support page saying they dont' offer 4G service in the US, it's mostly 3G or 2G.  That's just not gonna work for me, i do a fair bit of camping in the middle of nowhere and need a phone that can get me directions to/from.  i barely get by with Verizon.

Oh! I must've found a different site then, the I found said they were only selling within the EU. 

Seems like mobile networks are yet another baffling capitalist American nonsense then :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Watching the Emmy's right now, and there have been 8 categories presented. All 8 have been won by white people. And nearly all the presenters have been PoC. 

I mean...how is this happening?

3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Well the show is almost over, and this most certainly will be a major story tomorrow.

I genuinely feel ill watching this.

Bit fucked up that.

8 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Watching the Emmy's right now, and there have been 8 categories presented. All 8 have been won by white people. And nearly all the presenters have been PoC. 

I mean...how is this happening?

You don't think they were the right winners and have been chosen because they're white?

Genuine question by the way, I couldn't care less about awards shows so have no idea who has been nominated for what.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

You don't think they were the right winners and have been chosen because they're white?

Genuine question by the way, I couldn't care less about awards shows so have no idea who has been nominated for what.

Fair question. Not seen any of it so difficult to comment. Thing that annoys me though over here is the MOBO awards, if anyone suggested having a MOWO ceremony everyone's head would fall off.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Considering that of the 27 awards presented last night, 24 were won by white people or productions that are created/helmed by white people, I would say there's a bigger problem going on. Because even just statistically, with the amount of people of color who were nominated, there should've been a more diverse winner's list. That's just mathematics.

16 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Considering that of the 27 awards presented last night, 24 were won by white people or productions that are created/helmed by white people, I would say there's a bigger problem going on. Because even just statistically, with the amount of people of color who were nominated, there should've been a more diverse winner's list. That's just mathematics.

Not sure I buy the mathematics comment though. Every single one of those people of colour that lost out on the award can have lost based on ability alone, so there being a certain percentage of nominees that are of colour is irrelevant really.

Thats not to say racism isn’t behind the skewed numbers but to simply say it’s mathematics that more should have won in something that should be based on ability alone is way too simplistic. 

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not sure I buy the mathematics comment though. Every single one of those people of colour that lost out on the award can have lost based on ability alone, so there being a certain percentage of nominees that are of colour is irrelevant really.

Thats not to say racism isn’t behind the skewed numbers but to simply say it’s mathematics that more should have won in something that should be based on ability alone is way too simplistic. 

Fair. But at least from my perspective, as I have seen a fair amount of the shows that were nominated last night, there were some strange decisions. The Crown is a good show, but I don't think it merited as many acting awards (especially this past season) as it won last night.

Lovecraft Country on HBO was one of the most original things I've seen in a while, and it was snubbed. As was the late Michael K Williams.