Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lowensda

James Maddison

Recommended Posts

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/20/tottenham-and-liverpool-interested-in-james-maddison-report-5634131/

 

 

Tottenham are reportedly set to make an offer for Coventry City youngster James Maddison.

 

With two goals in ten League One games during this campaign, the youngster would likely be sent back to Coventry on loan as part of the deal – according to The Independent.

The 19-year-old has also caught the eye of Liverpool, Manchester City, Everton, Newcastle United, and Southampton with his performances for the Sky Blues.

Spurs failed in their attempts to sign the midfielder last summer, but it is thought that the lower league side are likely to accept this offer.

Were they to sign the teenager, this move would bear resemblance to that of Dele Alli from MK Dons to White Hart Lane.

Alli also moved from a lower division as a youngster and is now a regular in the Premier League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Were they to sign the teenager, this move would bear resemblance to that of Dele Alli from MK Dons to White Hart Lane.



Alli also moved from a lower division as a youngster and is now a regular in the Premier League."




Wow, and that's never happened before has it? A top flight team buying a player from a lower league! Twice :o. Whatever next?



Do people really get paid to write such drivel? And presumably he's got a "sports editor" who approved it.



Astounding.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not heard much about him other than watching him the other night.

He looks a very good young prospect. But still a prospect and 25m is a lot of money. He looked good, but didn’t really outshine our own blues that were there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only seen his highlights, but he looks pretty quality and has a creative pass on him.  He seems like he's in top physical condition as well.

Would be a bit of a slap to Dowell though (who I think needs another season loan to Champs or Lower prem).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I'd only really class Sig as our proven no10 the rest are either not good enough or not proven yet or could well be sold on....

I rate him tbh definitely looks more than capable of stepping up to this level and I'd much rather have Maddison than Davies in midfield any day of the week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

Yeah, the only 10 we have is Siggy... we need depth there.

LW, CB, LB, ST, and creative CM for me, in that order. 

Agreed. Klaassen, if he ever comes good, seems more box to box, Rooney is leaving more than likely, and Sig isn'tt exactly young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

Yeah, the only 10 we have is Siggy... we need depth there.

LW, CB, LB, ST, and creative CM for me, in that order. 

Taking out Rooney, we still have Vlasic, Dowell, Lookman, Sandro and Klaassen who can play in that position. Lookman is probably more of a wide man, Sandro I'm not entirely sure, Klaassen if he ever makes it may be able to play deeper but will probably be the most forward midfielder (like Cleverly was for Watford).

I think he Maddison looks a very bright talent but then so does Dowell. He looks like the type of player I would love us to go for but because of the fuck ups of the last two years, unless we clear out some of those players above, I would worry that he wouldn't play very often and then its a waste of talent.

Maybe we could buy him and loan him back to Norwich but like you say in your second paragraph, we have bigger holes to plug first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Taking out Rooney, we still have Vlasic, Dowell, Lookman, Sandro and Klaassen who can play in that position. Lookman is probably more of a wide man, Sandro I'm not entirely sure, Klaassen if he ever makes it may be able to play deeper but will probably be the most forward midfielder (like Cleverly was for Watford).

I think he Maddison looks a very bright talent but then so does Dowell. He looks like the type of player I would love us to go for but because of the fuck ups of the last two years, unless we clear out some of those players above, I would worry that he wouldn't play very often and then its a waste of talent.

Maybe we could buy him and loan him back to Norwich but like you say in your second paragraph, we have bigger holes to plug first.

I don't think any of the players you mentioned are natural 10s, besides Dowell. Lookman and Vlasic are definitely wingers in my eyes, and from what I've seen of Klaassen he's more of a number 8. I'v also looked at Sandro as a striker, but admittedly I haven't seen much of him. 

I think Madison is miles ahead of Dowell(who should go back on loan) at the moment, and Sig is going to need someone challenging him for that 10 spot(assuming we get a LW and he's not pushed out wide).

But yes, we have other positons that need addressing first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonkaroost said:

I don't think any of the players you mentioned are natural 10s, besides Dowell. Lookman and Vlasic are definitely wingers in my eyes, and from what I've seen of Klaassen he's more of a number 8. I'v also looked at Sandro as a striker, but admittedly I haven't seen much of him. 

I think Madison is miles ahead of Dowell(who should go back on loan) at the moment, and Sig is going to need someone challenging him for that 10 spot(assuming we get a LW and he's not pushed out wide).

But yes, we have other positons that need addressing first.

Madison looks a lot more mobile than Dowell and they both look as good as each other on the ball. I think mobility will be important to Silva.

Vlasic to me looks like a 10 but I agree with the other comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Makis said:

Vlasic had about one decent game and also some poor ones so I don't get this expectation that he's ready to play the #10 position for us.

Sadly I agree with you. I think we wanted him to be good so much due to us being so poor that we hung on to anything he did that was average or above. 

He has potential, but he didnt look anywhere near ready for the the top six yet. He still has time on his side though... so here’s hoping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree Vlasic simply has not had the game time to show what he can do in a settled team with a decent manager. 

From the times I have seen him play he looks a skilful player who drives forward and can beat his man. Until he and some of the other players have had a chance we simply cannot judge them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bill said:

He played regularly for Hadjuk, in League and Europa games,  has played for Croatia in every age group since he was 14 years old, so the premier league won't frighten him.

I hope to see him given a good run under the new  regime.

spot on again bill, inter milan was after him, he's no fluke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Makis said:

Vlasic had about one decent game and also some poor ones so I don't get this expectation that he's ready to play the #10 position for us.

He was our best player under Koeman in that type of role and then gradually got frozen out. Even though Lookman got the plaudits I thought he was MoTM against Limassol. 

He was crap at the end of the year but he looked to me like a player who had lost his confidence. 

He wont just suddenly come in and replace Siggy but when you have him, Dowell, Lookman, Sandro and even Walcott wanting to playing in and around the striker you will just create more problems by bringing in another body in the same position (unless the plan is to get rid of some of the others).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find all of this talk of 'number 10s' slightly bizarre. Going back to the days when players wore numbers 1 to 11 on their back, the number 10 was the second striker in a 4-4-2 formation. As we have a manager who will only play one out and out forward, its a redundant concept. Silva will probably play three of the names being mentioned in this thread at any one time, like Spurs do with Eriksen, Ali and Son. So I think there very much would be room for Maddison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nogs said:

I find all of this talk of 'number 10s' slightly bizarre. Going back to the days when players wore numbers 1 to 11 on their back, the number 10 was the second striker in a 4-4-2 formation. As we have a manager who will only play one out and out forward, its a redundant concept. Silva will probably play three of the names being mentioned in this thread at any one time, like Spurs do with Eriksen, Ali and Son. So I think there very much would be room for Maddison. 

Unless your name was John Hurst, Catterick played him in the back four,  yes I agree it was mostly  4-4-2  or on good days it would be 4-2-4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nogs said:

I find all of this talk of 'number 10s' slightly bizarre. Going back to the days when players wore numbers 1 to 11 on their back, the number 10 was the second striker in a 4-4-2 formation. As we have a manager who will only play one out and out forward, its a redundant concept. Silva will probably play three of the names being mentioned in this thread at any one time, like Spurs do with Eriksen, Ali and Son. So I think there very much would be room for Maddison. 

From what I have read and seen he will play 2 wingers and one advanced midfielder. So that is 3 players from Walcott, Bolasie, Lookman, Vlasic, Dowell, Davies, Klaasen, Sandro, Rooney, Siggy and probably someone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bill said:

Unless your name was John Hurst, Catterick played him in the back four,  yes I agree it was mostly  4-4-2  or on good days it would be 4-2-4.

Fair point, a bit before my time I'm afraid! Must have been a bit unusual in those days, though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bailey said:

From what I have read and seen he will play 2 wingers and one advanced midfielder. So that is 3 players from Walcott, Bolasie, Lookman, Vlasic, Dowell, Davies, Klaasen, Sandro, Rooney, Siggy and probably someone else. 

I don't see Bolasie, Klaassen or Sandro having futures at the club. And I don't see Davies playing in a front four. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nogs said:

I don't see Bolasie, Klaassen or Sandro having futures at the club. And I don't see Davies playing in a front four. 

Walcott, Lookman, Vlasic, and Siggy will stay with Dowell either being loaned or used here and there to bring him on. We may get another winger to provide competition.

Davies should be starting in midfield.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 hours ago, London Blue said:

Walcott, Lookman, Vlasic, and Siggy will stay with Dowell either being loaned or used here and there to bring him on. We may get another winger to provide competition.

Davies should be starting in midfield.  

Davies should not be a starter. Can you please tell me where you can come to that conclusion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yamar said:

Davies should not be a starter. Can you please tell me where you can come to that conclusion?

From watching him play, he provides drive, technical ability and aggression.

His first full season playing for us under Koeman he was a revelation. Under a good manager I believe he will thrive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not knocking your opinion LB it just goes to show how we all see the game/individual players differently 

For me personally I think Davies is nothing more than average at best, does nothing exceedingly well and plods through games whilst going missing for large parts of it 

I really don't think the lads good enough for a starting spot and never will be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
43 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Not knocking your opinion LB it just goes to show how we all see the game/individual players differently 

For me personally I think Davies is nothing more than average at best, does nothing exceedingly well and plods through games whilst going missing for large parts of it 

I really don't think the lads good enough for a starting spot and never will be 

Took the words out of my mouth. He's average at everything. If he wasn't a local lad he'd be shipped out on loan now. He's a squad player at best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EFC-Paul said:

Not knocking your opinion LB it just goes to show how we all see the game/individual players differently 

For me personally I think Davies is nothing more than average at best, does nothing exceedingly well and plods through games whilst going missing for large parts of it 

I really don't think the lads good enough for a starting spot and never will be 

You just described all of our midfielders, he's no worse than the others who do exactly the same as you've just said about Davies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't see Bolasie, Klaassen or Sandro having futures at the club. And I don't see Davies playing in a front four. 

Maybe true but also maybe not. If they are still at the club come the end of the window then where does that leave us? 

I wouldnt disagree re Davies, he should be deeper and playing box to box but he has been used by the previous 2 managers as the most attacking midfielder.

 

3 hours ago, yamar said:

Davies should not be a starter. Can you please tell me where you can come to that conclusion?

He is a more complete player than Gueye, he has a far better attitude than Schneiderlin and the you are fucked if you want to rely on Besic.

Im not saying he is a world beater but he is the most reliable central midfielder we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bill said:

You just described all of our midfielders, he's no worse than the others who do exactly the same as you've just said about Davies.

All of the other lads have attributes that are far greater than any I can think of that Davies possesses

I don't really have to list the attributes the other lads have that are much better than Davies do I!?

His trouble is he's a pure central midfielder no defensive qualities and nigh on no attacking qualities either, so players if that ilk either usually have range and vision or speed of play and a superior footballing brain and without bashing the lad to much he has neither of those 

He is purely and simply an average player, I think people are blinded by him being a local lad and his age imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

All the people who say he is good. Please tell me who you rate him against with other players in other teams. I wanna know what you mean by good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

All of the other lads have attributes that are far greater than any I can think of that Davies possesses

I don't really have to list the attributes the other lads have that are much better than Davies do I!?

His trouble is he's a pure central midfielder no defensive qualities and nigh on no attacking qualities either, so players if that ilk either usually have range and vision or speed of play and a superior footballing brain and without bashing the lad to much he has neither of those 

He is purely and simply an average player, I think people are blinded by him being a local lad and his age imo 

I never get this local lad argument. If anything, local lads are judged much more harshly than any other non local players.

For example Davies has been rated as a better proposition by the last 3 managers than Besic or Klaasen yet some would rather they are both in the team ahead of him. 

I think Davies is an intelligent footballer. He shows great awareness of space both offensively and defensively (the latter being very underappreciated). Technically I am not sure where we stand with him because he was much better last season than this, which makes me think that there has been a psychological/confidence issues holding him back given the management situations rather than him not being good enough.

I think he could potentially learn loads under Silva. Tactically he will improve further and in the right set up, he could really flourish. I cant say that of Gueye, Besic or Schneiderlin. Klaassen maybe. 

Either way it will be a big season for him. If he steps up then great but if he doesnt then we will still be able to move him on for a decent sum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Not knocking your opinion LB it just goes to show how we all see the game/individual players differently 

For me personally I think Davies is nothing more than average at best, does nothing exceedingly well and plods through games whilst going missing for large parts of it 

I really don't think the lads good enough for a starting spot and never will be 

Football is defiantly a game of opinions lol.

In his first season Davies was absolutely amazing for a 20 year old. Second seasons are always harder and playing in a dysfunctional side under 3 managers made it even harder. 

With Brands and Silva I believe he and the other youngsters will thrive as we have a manager and DOF who believes in them and can truly help them develop to their potential. 

I believe that Davies will be a very good player for us for years to come, if given the chance. 

But I accept that there is a chance he wont make it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I never get this local lad argument. If anything, local lads are judged much more harshly than any other non local players.

For example Davies has been rated as a better proposition by the last 3 managers than Besic or Klaasen yet some would rather they are both in the team ahead of him. 

I think Davies is an intelligent footballer. He shows great awareness of space both offensively and defensively (the latter being very underappreciated). Technically I am not sure where we stand with him because he was much better last season than this, which makes me think that there has been a psychological/confidence issues holding him back given the management situations rather than him not being good enough.

I think he could potentially learn loads under Silva. Tactically he will improve further and in the right set up, he could really flourish. I cant say that of Gueye, Besic or Schneiderlin. Klaassen maybe. 

Either way it will be a big season for him. If he steps up then great but if he doesnt then we will still be able to move him on for a decent sum.

The local argument swings in roundabouts there's plenty of examples of it going both ways it depends on who and whats being discussed but in this instance I personally think the lad gets an easier ride because of it 

He can show all the awareness in the world but he doesn't do anything with the ball thereafter, he literally shows non of these so called attributes in my eyes that some see

He's a poor man's version of Ossie without the skill 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, London Blue said:

Football is defiantly a game of opinions lol.

In his first season Davies was absolutely amazing for a 20 year old. Second seasons are always harder and playing in a dysfunctional side under 3 managers made it even harder. 

With Brands and Silva I believe he and the other youngsters will thrive as we have a manager and DOF who believes in them and can truly help them develop to their potential. 

I believe that Davies will be a very good player for us for years to come, if given the chance. 

But I accept that there is a chance he wont make it.

 

Even more impressive was he was 18, not 20 ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nogs said:

I'm really glad we've got a DoF and manager in with a better perspective on youth than some posting on here. No wonder most of our talented youngsters end up leaving the club. 

Or maybe we've had the correct perspective on youth for some time as I can't think of many we've let go that have become world beaters!? We've carried to many players (not just youth) over the years when we should have shipped them on or loaned them out... 

Which talented youngsters by the way have left and thrived elsewhere at this or a better level? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Or maybe we've had the correct perspective on youth for some time as I can't think of many we've let go that have become world beaters!? We've carried to many players (not just youth) over the years when we should have shipped them on or loaned them out... 

Which talented youngsters by the way have left and thrived elsewhere at this or a better level? 

rooney and duffy in recent history.  on the contrary one line of thinking (not saying i hold this belief) reads: we should sell the youngsters the minute they hit it big.  think of the 50m we could have got for barkley after that first martinez season or the second.  was it 30m being touted for davies when he was first breaking out? rodwell was well played sold him at his peak and he went bust from there.  trying to think of some others in recent history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

rooney and duffy in recent history.  on the contrary one line of thinking (not saying i hold this belief) reads: we should sell the youngsters the minute they hit it big.  think of the 50m we could have got for barkley after that first martinez season or the second.  was it 30m being touted for davies when he was first breaking out? rodwell was well played sold him at his peak and he went bust from there.  trying to think of some others in recent history.

Duffy isn'tt at the level we are at or want far from it and Rooney wasn't let go he was bought as an outstanding talent the others like Rodwell Gosling strengthen my point of the previous post 

As said young players that were let go as ti re what Nogs said that would walk into our team? There aren't many if any bar very brief affairs with Dier and Mustafi 

Anyway it's just my personal opinion on the lad I hope he cracks on and does well I just don't see anything to suggest he will regardless of his age

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Or maybe we've had the correct perspective on youth for some time as I can't think of many we've let go that have become world beaters!? We've carried to many players (not just youth) over the years when we should have shipped them on or loaned them out... 

Which talented youngsters by the way have left and thrived elsewhere at this or a better level? 

Something in the development of our young players between the ages of 18 and 24 goes wrong. Rodwell, Baxter, Lundstram, Ledson, Barkley and so on we're all extremely highly regarded at youth level but failed to make it at the top level. Go look at how many of our academy graduates play professionally in the FL - dozens of them. To me, the fact that so few make it in our first team is a coaching, development and culture problem, and that includes the way fans at Goodison are so quick to get on young lads' backs when they don't play well. Ever wonder why the other lot always seem to produce these great young kids? It isn'tt just talent, it's how they're nurtured and brought on. I really hope we will see that side change under Brands, but I think some fans have got to wake up and realise that expecting a kid of 19 to be the finished article, or even making statements like 'they'll never be good enough', is pretty ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nogs said:

Something in the development of our young players between the ages of 18 and 24 goes wrong. Rodwell, Baxter, Lundstram, Ledson, Barkley and so on we're all extremely highly regarded at youth level but failed to make it at the top level. Go look at how many of our academy graduates play professionally in the FL - dozens of them. To me, the fact that so few make it in our first team is a coaching, development and culture problem, and that includes the way fans at Goodison are so quick to get on young lads' backs when they don't play well. Ever wonder why the other lot always seem to produce these great young kids? It isn'ttt just talent, it's how they're nurtured and brought on. I really hope we will see that side change under Brands, but I think some fans have got to wake up and realise that expecting a kid of 19 to be the finished article, or even making statements like 'they'll never be good enough', is pretty ridiculous. 

other than gerrard what great young kids do they have?  arnold alexander too small a sample size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

other than gerrard what great young kids do they have?  arnold alexander too small a sample size.

Carragher, Owen, Fowler, McManaman... they’ve done alright to be fair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Carragher, Owen, Fowler, McManaman... they’ve done alright to be fair!

yes but all those are a generation older than rooney.  in the recent past and present they haven't done much of anything which is what i was saying.  we've have rodwell barkley and now davies.  they have arnold alexander who just broke onto the scene and that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...