IGNORED

Ashley Williams

• 2 weeks later...

mmm idk, I'm not too sure about Jagielka anymore.

He's been playing the role of 2 CBs for at least as season, allowing Stones to "play his natural game" so of course he's looked past it sometimes. Will a solid defender like Williams, I think for the next 2 seasons he'll be fine and these 2 will do a Huth/Morgan thing.

Guest rusty747

I think Koeman is being very astute here. Jags and Williams with Mori as cover or a third in a back three for this season and maybe next while Holgate and Galloway continue to get Premier League game time with Browning, Foulds, Pennington still to come back / break through.

If we can just get Kone on deadline day too then I will be extremely happy with our defensive personnel and options. It will be a terrific range of experience, quality and age.

Edited by rusty747

He's been playing the role of 2 CBs for at least as season, allowing Stones to "play his natural game" so of course he's looked past it sometimes. Will a solid defender like Williams, I think for the next 2 seasons he'll be fine and these 2 will do a Huth/Morgan thing.

Totally agree Stones and Mori both had mistakes in them, now he has Williams alongside him he can just concentrate on his own game

The two together can just play their own game and not worry about the man next to them. Against Stoke that was the most solid we've looked since Weir/Stubbs.

I'd be concerned about playing them both together against a side with pacy forwards but they do look good together.

Edited by Romey 1878

Williams cleared everything, and showed exactly what we've been missing. Some how Jagielka gets praise for stranding next to him.

Jagielka was fine in the last game, but could have helped Holgate more. All the Stoke attacks come down their side.

Which was their tactic - pick on the youngster using one of their bigger, better players who was basically in Holgates pocket the whole game. I think just knowing he has Jags having his back was enough to add an extra fearlessness to his approach. I know you don't rate him, Pete, but his role is more than just being a defender and now that he's got a solid partner, he can do more of the mentoring and captaining that he's been criticised for not doing enough of in recent years.

Which was their tactic - pick on the youngster using one of their bigger, better players who was basically in Holgates pocket the whole game. I think just knowing he has Jags having his back was enough to add an extra fearlessness to his approach. I know you don't rate him, Pete, but his role is more than just being a defender and now that he's got a solid partner, he can do more of the mentoring and captaining that he's been criticised for not doing enough of in recent years.

His comments suggested Williams has took over the shouting. I find it odd that Jagielka is getting credit, (I'd give it if it was due), when he's not done anything of note in the game. Williams on the other hand was a wall. I've mentioned Jagielka's positioning to death, but it was ridiculous how many times Williams dealt with the pressure and hoofed it away towards the end. He might not have the armband but he's acting as the captain.

I'd agree with that... williams and Jags could form a weir/gough partnership.

Williams seems to be the type of player who is right at the peak of his powers. Jags will be haply that for the first time in a while he can focus on his own game. Hes had stones and mori to coach. Prior to that he was the safety net for distin.

Baines looks back to his best and this can only be a good thing for coleman.

I'd agree with that... williams and Jags could form a weir/gough partnership.

Williams seems to be the type of player who is right at the peak of his powers. Jags will be haply that for the first time in a while he can focus on his own game. Hes had stones and mori to coach. Prior to that he was the safety net for distin.

Baines looks back to his best and this can only be a good thing for coleman.

Agreed , I think they will form a formidable partnership and it would be fantastic if we can get Baines and Coleman playing anywhere near the levels they were under Moyes

Does the basics incredibly well. Looks like he could be a formidable partner for Jags, I actually feel confident of clean sheets against the top teams (and the red shite) for once.

Thought this was going to be THE signing but Gana is currently on another level.

We'll still get spanked, they look very good going forward