IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

He's a striker not a midfielder why do you consider pass completions more important for a striker than goals scored, when he receives the ball in the majority of positions he receives it, his first thought isn't who he can pass it to, it's how can I score from here.

I don't consider pass completions more important than goals scored - where have I said that?

Pass completion is a big factor when you are a forward - especially playing the target man role.

When gana gets the ball deep in his half from jags for example- he can't lose it to an AM. He will go wide to a full back, maybe find barkley or Barry. The defence will stay...

When the ball reaches lukaku midway in the opponents half or even closer to the box it's an opportunity for players getting there to support him.... full backs advance and the midfield pushes on. All he needs to do is control it, hold it for 3 seconds and lay it off.

He fails to do this time after time... the advancing midfielders and full backs get caught - they need to chase back to block the counter attack.

That's why it's a problem.

I'm astonished, really am.

Astonished that people really don't have the ability to see simple points, even if they don't agree with them.

No I'm only joking as I know most do and can.

But can a simple question be answered?

Would you prefer a striker to score 18 and we finish 11th?

Or our top scorer to be on 8 and we finishing 6th?

I don't think even Haf in his hatred for Lukaku is even blaming everything on Lukaku. I think he is just trying to point out a universal truth....goals aren't everything.

He is pointing out that loss of possession cheaply is a deteremenr to the team..... simple really isn't it?

Now if Rom could score the same goals a season and improve his ball retention by...say 1%....then surely the thinking evertonian can see that, that would be a positive for the team?

Now if we could just agree to that, then maybe we wouldn't have to read endless posts about the same old same old!

Maybe people would get back to debating subjectively about one of our prize assets. And rate him or not.... he is arguably our greatest asset.

I'm not missing any point, I get the concerns and some are justified. I've said numerous times he has his faults but this constant needless beating him with a shitty stick for anything is ridiculous.

Of course I would rather the team finish higher and the striker score less goals but you're assuming if we lose him that will be the case but there is no proof of that.

The point is, we have a 20 goal a season striker and despite his faults, why wouldn't anyone want us to keep him and put better players around him before knee jerk and selling him? It makes zero sense to me to say sell our main goalscorer and replace him with a Troy Deeney type player because without his goals we become a bottom half side with our squad.

I'm astonished, really am.

Astonished that people really don't have the ability to see simple points, even if they don't agree with them.

No I'm only joking as I know most do and can.

But can a simple question be answered?

Would you prefer a striker to score 18 and we finish 11th?

Or our top scorer to be on 8 and we finishing 6th?

You can look @ this another way....

I'll prefer a striker to score 18 and we finish 11th as opposed to our top scorer getting 8 and us finishing 18th,...

I don't consider pass completions more important than goals scored - where have I said that?

Pass completion is a big factor when you are a forward - especially playing the target man role.

When gana gets the ball deep in his half from jags for example- he can't lose it to an AM. He will go wide to a full back, maybe find barkley or Barry. The defence will stay...

When the ball reaches lukaku midway in the opponents half or even closer to the box it's an opportunity for players getting there to support him.... full backs advance and the midfield pushes on. All he needs to do is control it, hold it for 3 seconds and lay it off.

He fails to do this time after time... the advancing midfielders and full backs get caught - they need to chase back to block the counter attack.

That's why it's a problem.

You talk as if he is constantly given good service from the midfield and he keeps fucking it up, he gets very little opportunities and hardly any good service from the team.

The goal against Leicester is a prime example of what he has to work with, a 70 yard goal mouth clearance that he gets on the end of, again on his own no one within 50-60 yards of him, CONTROLS it is strong runs toward their goal does there main CB leaves him sat on his arse, then rounds another defender and slots it home, not many in this league who could have done that not your main man Deeney.

Now in your eyes that not what a ( so called good player should do ) he should have held it up waited for his nearest player who was nearly the full length of the pitch away to join him so he could pass, fuck off your hatred of him is so great that it is really clouding your judgment and making you look a fool, the better he plays the more you hate it.UN-FUCKING BELIEVABLE.

You can look @ this another way....

I'll prefer a striker to score 18 and we finish 11th as opposed to our top scorer getting 8 and us finishing 18th,...

Agree mate.

And also like Pad has pointed out, there is no proof of any of it.

Just like there's no proof we would b relegation candidates without him. In my time we have won the league, FA cup and Cup winners cup....all without him.

I wan him to stay I really do. The staunch defence of him annoys me more than the player himself.

West Brom don't have him....yet they have points on the board. Man U don't have him, again they don't seem to be worried about relegation.

My whole point is that he needs to improve just as much as anyone else in the team. Difference is, I actually believe he can. But I'm not blinded by goals either, too old and wise for that. Seen it all before.

Our best team in my generation was one that had goals all over the pitch. Even a prolific centre half, at both ends.

If we could get a few more goal scorers and keep Lukaku, we could end up challenging for the top six easily.

Those stats are irrelevant. We aren't whipping crosses in to Leighton Baines or Idrissa Gueye so why compare them to a striker who is 6ft+ and built like a tank.

You make a point but I think defenders receive a least as much crosses from the opponents that Lukaku receives from his team mates.

Remember when I closed this thread for a few days? What bliss that was!

Don't know why you would close THE most popular thread on the whole site. Since it started I would be surprised if there has been more activity on any other single thread.

Ok a large percentage may be Haf, but still.

In all fairness his touch is awful, his battling for the ball is awful, his right foot is awful! But I believe he's is being treated unfairly, look at history some of the great strikers in the premiership have all had a close link to another forward or No 10, we don't have that here, he is fairly isolated up front, there is no connection between him and Barkley, not sure who's fault that is, but he doesn't get the consistent support and supply he should, he is just symptomatic of Everton as whole, the potential is there, there is just a few pieces missing and it's proving difficult to find them!

You talk as if he is constantly given good service from the midfield and he keeps fucking it up, he gets very little opportunities and hardly any good service from the team.

The goal against Leicester is a prime example of what he has to work with, a 70 yard goal mouth clearance that he gets on the end of, again on his own no one within 50-60 yards of him, CONTROLS it is strong runs toward their goal does there main CB leaves him sat on his arse, then rounds another defender and slots it home, not many in this league who could have done that not your main man Deeney.

Now in your eyes that not what a ( so called good player should do ) he should have held it up waited for his nearest player who was nearly the full length of the pitch away to join him so he could pass, fuck off your hatred of him is so great that it is really clouding your judgment and making you look a fool, the better he plays the more you hate it.UN-FUCKING BELIEVABLE.

Don't give a incorrect sensationalised headline and tell me to fuck off.

Everyone labours on that his service is poor?

No let's get it right. Thd service he gets is standard but he has substandard control.

"Play to his strengths" people's say.... fuck me if having a through ball with a one on one race was standard service we would have every striker in the world wanting to play for us. Cloud kukoo land or what! A striker will be lucky to get a one on one in a game... just watched spurs last night. They won 4-1... Kane had no one on ones.

His goal against leicester.... way hey!!!! He actually used aggression for a change and wasn't flattened by a player half his size. You are making out that he's never been in that position before?!

Twice in 10 seconds he found himself like that against liverpool and both times he lost the ball. The first time he lost it Coleman reclaimed it and gave him a second chance. He lost it again.

Stop trying to make our that his 'highlights' are his standard modes of play. They simply aren't.

Playing to Lukakus strengths is merely a desperate plea from you lot to avoid his weaknesses. When a player has weaknesses

Defences can set up to play against him. That's what happens.

He doesn't get awful service - he has an awful touch which means he can't be expected to be an out ball to take pressure off the defence.

If he had a decent touch he could turn defence into attack. Instead he turns attack to defence.... that's my point. Play breaks down because of him so much yet it's the other players fault? Nah.... aside from 2 goals this season every other goal has been put on a plate for him.

If you were to upgrade our players one by one then Lukaku would be the last on the list. We've got 10 bigger problems.

Service is the main thing that needs to be improved. Look at Spurs and they have 6 players behind Kane with 3 or more assists. We have Barkley 3 and Bolasie 4. Flip it and Lukaku has 3 to Kane's 1. If Lukaku was at Spurs he'd bang in 30+ goals with that midfield behind him and shortly be off to Real Madrid for £80m.

If you were to upgrade our players one by one then Lukaku would be the last on the list. We've got 10 bigger problems.

Service is the main thing that needs to be improved. Look at Spurs and they have 6 players behind Kane with 3 or more assists. We have Barkley 3 and Bolasie 4. Flip it and Lukaku has 3 to Kane's 1. If Lukaku was at Spurs he'd bang in 30+ goals with that midfield behind him and shortly be off to Real Madrid for £80m.

No he wouldn't. He would score in line with what kane scores - potentially less.

There is very little to choose between them in terms of finishing quality. Kane is better in the air and from distance and either foot. Rom better on the run.

Like I say, service is a two way thing and Rom makes it tough for him to get good service.

Don't know why you would close THE most popular thread on the whole site. Since it started I would be surprised if there has been more activity on any other single thread.

Ok a large percentage may be Haf, but still.

It was fairly simple really, Shukes. People were getting a little bored of reading the same things over and over but with with a few different words thrown in. So I closed it for a day or two to give people a break.

No he wouldn't. He would score in line with what kane scores - potentially less.

There is very little to choose between them in terms of finishing quality. Kane is better in the air and from distance and either foot. Rom better on the run.

Like I say, service is a two way thing and Rom makes it tough for him to get good service.

Lukaku scores goals in a team with poor service. Why wouldn't it go up if you gave him more chances? Kane would be a flop here, like he was in the lower leagues. Spurs have a great midfield, we have a great striker.

Lukaku is better with either foot. I cba digging through the thread but that has already been established.

All the assists aren't to one player. We have two players with three or more, and 2 of Barkley's 3 are from set pieces. We don't make anything easy for Lukaku.

Edited by pete0

Lukaku scores goals in a team with poor service. Why wouldn't it go up if you gave him more chances? Kane would be a flop here, like he was in the lower leagues. Spurs have a great midfield, we have a great striker.

Lukaku is better with either foot. I cba digging through the thread but that has already been established.

All the assists aren't to one player. We have two players with three or more, and 2 of Barkley's 3 are from set pieces. We don't make anything easy for Lukaku.

I've already gone through the kane lukaku bit and kane comes out on top.

Chance conversion etc etc.

Edited by Hafnia

Those stats are irrelevant. We aren't whipping crosses in to Leighton Baines or Idrissa Gueye so why compare them to a striker who is 6ft+ and built like a tank.

Haf ask TallPaul about stats he thinks they are irrelevant, ask Aidan he posted some good stats comparing with other strikers, ask tibou55 about stats that Lukaku heads.

You don't acknowledge them because they blow a big hole in your pathetic argument that he's shit.

Haf ask TallPaul about stats he thinks they are irrelevant, ask Aidan he posted some good stats comparing with other strikers, ask tibou55 about stats that Lukaku heads.

You don't acknowledge them because they blow a big hole in your pathetic argument that he's shit.

Where have I said he's shit? You do make up alot of stuff.

He's a poor footballer... he's averaged less than 50% pass completion in his last 3 games. That's a fact.

The debate about him is everyone going on like we've got the next dixie dean.... he's a good goalscorer and that is it... his around game is detrimental to the team and that is why I'm saying if some team wants to give us silly money for him then let's do it.

The reason I say this is that I would be happier with a lesser prolific player who didn't give the ball away so much because I see how it's impacting the team.

I'm not Kidded by individual goal stats... I dont worry that we will struggle if we sold him.

If we spent the money on 4 niasse's then yeah but I trust our DOF to understand that we need more footballing ability up front and with Rom it is completely lacking.

Edited by Hafnia

Already disproved that so why keep pretending they're true?

Rom 37-19 in favour of left.

Kane 44-15 in favour of right.

Rom ahead in headed goals 15-12.

Case closed (though I'm sure it won't be).

Please, stop it!

Look at the "aerial dual won" section...Lukaku is first.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/31

Don't go to away games but I can assure you he wins less than 30% of aerial duals at home. Even when he does win them he very rarely finds a blue shirt. He's terrible in the air for his size. Just my opinion and an area he needs to work on to make him a better all round player.

Already disproved that so why keep pretending they're true?

Rom 37-19 in favour of left.

Kane 44-15 in favour of right.

Rom ahead in headed goals 15-12.

Case closed (though I'm sure it won't be).

I cant believe that a football fan would agree that Lukaku is better than Kane with either foot.

Seriously, like him or loathe him, Kane can shoot with either foot and can hit them from 10 - 20 or 30 yards.

He looks and runs like Chris waddle but is up there with the best in the premier league as far as forwards go.

The stats don't lie, and it's also very hard to find one of your team mates when they spend the majority of the game these days deep in their own half, if you are going to hit long Ariel balls you need to get players around him to feed off any knockdowns, or it's just a waste of time.