IGNORED

Apostolos Vellios

Made his debut today in their 1-1 draw at QPR and Blackpool manager Barry Ferguson seemed pleased with his first start:

New signing Apostolos Vellios also started the game despite only meeting his team-mates on Friday. It's clear there will be more to come from the Greece Under-21 international between now and the end of the season.
"He's not played a lot of football but I just thought we were missing a bit of physical presence without Ricky. It was a difficult ask to put him in today. He only trained with the boys and met the boys yesterday. It's a new environment and a new team for him but I'm sure he'll do well for us," he added.

• 2 weeks later...

Duffy can make it. I was extremly impressed with him when he got the chance. Im still hoping he gets a chance here.

He won't make it here. The quality difference of him and Stones is huge. Duffy is not good enough and I expect him to be offloaded

He won't make it here. The quality difference of him and Stones is huge. Duffy is not good enough and I expect him to be offloaded

I think there's more to be said about Stones in that comparison.

Granted, we've only seen Stones play a few times, but in those appearances, he has looked like one of the better CBs in the league, not just at Everton.

I think there's more to be said about Stones in that comparison.

Granted, we've only seen Stones play a few times, but in those appearances, he has looked like one of the better CBs in the league, not just at Everton.

he has indeed. Seems people have forgotten the 2 games where Duffy lined up he looked quite solid

• 3 weeks later...

Im not sure how to take it to be honest. If Blackpool cut the loan short, I would be worried but if he was recalled.... Dunno really!

yeah, the way i was reading it was he only got 2 matches in (right when he got there) and hasn't seen time since then, so maybe they didn't like him or his playing and since he was just on the bench everton deemed it a failure and recalled him.

again i'm reading a lot into it.

yeah, the way i was reading it was he only got 2 matches in (right when he got there) and hasn't seen time since then, so maybe they didn't like him or his playing and since he was just on the bench everton deemed it a failure and recalled him.

again i'm reading a lot into it.

I was actually thinking that we are so shorts of Forward options (Lukaku being out of form), Vellios gives us another option at forward.

Blackpool fans don't seem too impressed with him:

"Oh no - how will we cope"

"Useless doesn't really describe him"

"Waste of space"

"Calling him shit does a disservice to some of the previous shit we have had on loan...."

"Terrible attitude. Expect to see Martinez quietly ship him off back to the continent this summer"

"He said this was his last chance and he had to prove he had the right attitude and ability. He hasn't even shown a glimmer of either"

http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread-18530.html

"Waste of space"

"Calling him shit does a disservice to some of the previous shit we have had on loan...."

"Terrible attitude. Expect to see Martinez quietly ship him off back to the continent this summer"

"He said this was his last chance and he had to prove he had the right attitude and ability. He hasn't even shown a glimmer of either"

Watch him nic a goal for us to win one of our last 2 games :67:

Watch him nic a goal for us to win one of our last 2 games :67:

I'll be surprised if he so much as makes it into the bench. A team fighting off relegation in the Championship just sent him back because they found him "useless." I'll be stunned if he's not shipped back Greece or playing at some other considerably lower level this summer. Vellios is not an EPL-caliber player.

"Waste of space"

Nail on the head there I think.

I'll be surprised if he so much as makes it into the bench. A team fighting off relegation in the Championship just sent him back because they found him "useless." I'll be stunned if he's not shipped back Greece or playing at some other considerably lower level this summer. Vellios is not an EPL-caliber player.

Going way out there and not a fair comparison at all, but wasn't Barkley loaned out earlier in his career and shipped back because the team couldn't use him (I could be wrong about this and I apologize if I am). We are so thin at options on top, Lukaku has been bad since the Arsenal game and Naisy can't quite finish. Quite frankly we don't have anything to lose throwing him out there. I mean I remember Straq going out there and getting goals. I'm not saying he's sticking around for the summer, but he's still our player in an area where we are struggling in. Throw the kitchen sink and see if it sticks.

Going way out there and not a fair comparison at all, but wasn't Barkley loaned out earlier in his career and shipped back because the team couldn't use him (I could be wrong about this and I apologize if I am). We are so thin at options on top, Lukaku has been bad since the Arsenal game and Naisy can't quite finish. Quite frankly we don't have anything to lose throwing him out there. I mean I remember Straq going out there and getting goals. I'm not saying he's sticking around for the summer, but he's still our player in an area where we are struggling in. Throw the kitchen sink and see if it sticks.

Leeds United sent Barkley back, but he had already had a really good spell with Sheffield Wednesday... No. The Vellios ship has sailed, he's not good or motivated enough.

Hmmm, from this article by the Blackpool club secretary, it sounds like he wasn't recalled by Everton and wasn't sent back by Blackpool.... just made up his own mind to leave!

SATURDAY APRIL 20

"One player who failed to show for training on Good Friday and again today is Apostolos Vellios – having explained the situation to both Everton and the players agent we try and make contact with the player again, and are subsequently told by his agent that he has returned to Everton, however, Everton aren’t aware!"

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/blackpool-fc/matt-williams-column-everything-may-just-turn-out-fine-1-6588205

If that's how it happened, the lad really hasn't done himself any favours at all.

Hmmm, from this article by the Blackpool club secretary, it sounds like he wasn't recalled by Everton and wasn't sent back by Blackpool.... just made up his own mind to leave!

SATURDAY APRIL 20

"One player who failed to show for training on Good Friday and again today is Apostolos Vellios – having explained the situation to both Everton and the players agent we try and make contact with the player again, and are subsequently told by his agent that he has returned to Everton, however, Everton aren’t aware!"

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/blackpool-fc/matt-williams-column-everything-may-just-turn-out-fine-1-6588205

If that's how it happened, the lad really hasn't done himself any favours at all.

I cant defend this lad any more if hes done that. Crazy...