IGNORED

Apostolos Vellios

Guest blueboy122

That leaves us with;

2 x loan forwards

1 x crock of shite

So basically, in the summer, we need to buy 2/3 strikers. One, of genuine quality. A back-up of decent quality and an up and comer.

Scary thought really. The war chest from Bill will need to be sufficient come July.

That leaves us with;

2 x loan forwards

1 x crock of shite

So basically, in the summer, we need to buy 2/3 strikers. One, of genuine quality. A back-up of decent quality and an up and comer.

Kone and McAleny will hopefully fill those spots.

Genuine quality wise Id like to see Remy, who would be a steal for £8 mil (if the buy-out clause is still active).

Kone and McAleny will hopefully fill those spots.

Genuine quality wise Id like to see Remy, who would be a steal for £8 mil (if the buy-out clause is still active).

Isn't Rm a character player kinda guy? Remy is on rape charges, don't think that qualifies as a good character.

I'm happy to see vellios go and get something in return. Better than nothing in the summer. Mcaleny came back at the right time.

Edited by markjazzbassist

If we got 40m from Fellaini/Anichebe/Jelavic and spent c.25-30m on McCarthy (13m) Kone (6m) Lukaku (4m) Robles/Barry/McGeady/Traore/Deulofeu then we have 10-15m plus 20m+ tv money coming in the summer... so summer could be interesting... moreso if we have CL on offer too...

Velios was never going to cut it... He'll be consigned to a period in our history when we hoped every pebble would turn out to be an expensive gem...

Guest blueboy122

If we got 40m from Fellaini/Anichebe/Jelavic and spent c.25-30m on McCarthy (13m) Kone (6m) Lukaku (4m) Robles/Barry/McGeady/Traore/Deulofeu then we have 10-15m plus 20m+ tv money coming in the summer... so summer could be interesting... moreso if we have CL on offer too...

Velios was never going to cut it... He'll be consigned to a period in our history when we hoped every pebble would turn out to be an expensive gem...

I not so sure about that, I think Vellios could cut it at this league definatley. When I have seem him play he has looked good he's a big lad who can put himself about. Better touch than Lukaku..... Demand £23 million.

Guest blueboy122

woh 25m... steady on... i said he couldnt cut it... i didnt say we should give him away...

What chance has he been given to make you think he can't cut it? When I have seen him he has looked really usefull. More usefull that Jelly was last season and more useful that Lukaku is at the moment.

The reason I know he can't cut it is RM has not picked him at all. Even when he has virtually had no other option.... I back anything RM does over. You lot cause he has a wealth of footballing knowledge and see's this person day in and day out.

That was often the answer dunc and a few others gave regarding criticisms of Moyes and my response was "being manager does not always make you right"...

Now to be fair I would actually still say this is the case with any manager. However in the case of Martinez he has 300 times my trust than Moyes.

Still doesn't make roberto always right but I would say 99 times out of a 100 he will be!

Never saw anything other than an impact sub to be honest. Watched a few extended highlights of the reserves and you never noticed he was on the pitch. When he did start matches he made next to no impact.

At first i got caught up by the old.. young striker signs, excitment. Then he knocked in a few decent goals coming on as sub and put in a lot of effort. Then you started to notice that he was an ok player but nothing really special to offer. It's that point where i started to think that he was never going to go far as we had better in the reserves like Vaughan.

It is a shame that it never worked out but it is for the best he moves on for both club and player.

That was often the answer dunc and a few others gave regarding criticisms of Moyes and my response was "being manager does not always make you right"...

Now to be fair I would actually still say this is the case with any manager. However in the case of Martinez he has 300 times my trust than Moyes.

Still doesn't make roberto always right but I would say 99 times out of a 100 he will be!

Never saw anything other than an impact sub to be honest. Watched a few extended highlights of the reserves and you never noticed he was on the pitch. When he did start matches he made next to no impact.

At first i got caught up by the old.. young striker signs, excitment. Then he knocked in a few decent goals coming on as sub and put in a lot of effort. Then you started to notice that he was an ok player but nothing really special to offer. It's that point where i started to think that he was never going to go far as we had better in the reserves like Vaughan.

It is a shame that it never worked out but it is for the best he moves on for both club and player.

I think Shukes nails it on head.

I have seen some of the reserve games too (admittedly not much) but I have never really noticed him. I think he looks handy enough and when our main strikers werent contributing and he was full of confidence a couple of seasons back he should have been given more of a chance but despite a lot of the shit people on here are spouting about Lukaku there is no way in the world I would put him on in his place. These are different times and even when our main strikers arent playing at their best this season (Jela, Lukaku or even Mirallas) they still would appear to offer more than Vellios who also doesnt appear to be at his best either.

What chance has he been given to make you think he can't cut it? When I have seen him he has looked really usefull. More usefull that Jelly was last season and more useful that Lukaku is at the moment.

I think that's kind of the point. Two different managers, depth issues at the striker position, and he's still been used marginally. Kind of hard to believe both Moyes AND Martinez are unfairly holding him back.

• 3 weeks later...

I would give him a go to be honest cant be much worse than Traore after his audition on Sunday.

Vellios has scored 3 goals in 22 appearances.

Traore 1 in 1

:dont know:

Vellios career shows that he isnt exactly a goalscorer

Senior career* Years

Team Apps (Gls)

2008–2011 Iraklis 21 (4)

2011– Everton 22 (3)

National team

2008–2009 Greece U17 3 (0)

2009–2011 Greece U19 16 (9)

2011– Greece U21 21 (4)

Edited by Peter H

Vellios has scored 3 goals in 22 appearances.

Traore 1 in 1

:dont know:

Vellios career shows that he isnt exactly a goalscorer

Senior career* Years

Team Apps (Gls)

2008–2011 Iraklis 21 (4)

2011– Everton 22 (3)

National team

2008–2009 Greece U17 3 (0)

2009–2011 Greece U19 16 (9)

2011– Greece U21 21 (4)

how many of those were starts and how many were a few minutes at the end false stats really.

Just looked it up 2 starts

Edited by BedfordBlue

If we're using stats, may as well use Traore's too.

2007–2008 Stade d'Abidjan 27 (19)

2008–2011 CFR Cluj 44 (14)

2011–2012 Kuban Krasnodar 38 (18)

2012–2014 Anzhi Makhachkala 29 (13)

2014– Monaco 0 (0)

2014–Everton (loan) 1 (1)

Club: 139 Appearances, 65 Goals.

2011 Côte d'Ivoire U23 5 (3)

2012– Côte d'Ivoire 7 (4)

Internationals: 13 Apperances, 7 Goals.

Nearly 1 in 2.

No-one can truly say that Vellios deserves more of a start. I love the guy but he's just not as good as we'd all hoped.

Write Traore off, might as well, it's not like 1 in 1 is anything to truly shout about.

If you want my opinion, I always wondered how he'd do in this league, couldn't quite work him out as a player. Very hot or ghost like, shows signs of brilliance and signs of weakness. He tries things that most out and out strikers don't care about (fancy passes, range shots) and I like the fact he's different. Some of his touches and passing was off, I get that, he has also been out for 5 months without a game, so he's bound to be a yard or two slower (mentally and physically).

If he's still 'as bad' as a 1 in 1 striker in 8 matches time, i'll eat massive humble pie and agree, he wasn't what I expected.

But for now, he's our only 'true' striker, so get behind him for fucksake.

Edited by tenaciousj