IGNORED

Ross Barkley

So much animosity towards Moyes, and it's ridiculous. He was poised to use Barkley AS A 16 YEAR OLD but Barkley broke his leg. Then he got 6 games in as a 17 year old. How many 17 year old's are getting any sort of playing time in the first team in the EPL? If anything, we should be thanking Moyes for developing Barkley into the player he has become. So many talented 15 and 16 year old's are nobodies by their early 20s. That's a significant time-period in a person's life and there are never guarantees. All things considered, he handled him well.

So much animosity towards Moyes, and it's ridiculous. He was poised to use Barkley AS A 16 YEAR OLD but Barkley broke his leg. Then he got 6 games in as a 17 year old. How many 17 year old's are getting any sort of playing time in the first team in the EPL? If anything, we should be thanking Moyes for developing Barkley into the player he has become. So many talented 15 and 16 year old's are nobodies by their early 20s. That's a significant time-period in a person's life and there are never guarantees. All things considered, he handled him well.

Afterall Ross has come out and thanked Moyes for his management of him.

I remember certain mods on here giving me a bit of stick on here when I said barkley was going to be a star for us 2 or 3 years ago I said he had more in his locker,remember mods,you know who you are.

I'd be very surprised if you could find evidence of that.....everyone's been excited by him for years, mods (which is irrelevant to the point) or not :huh:.

Name names :shaking fist:.

first to bite mikeo ? mm

I'll just repeat....

I'd be very surprised if you could find evidence of that.

You're saying that more than one mod gave you stick for saying Barkley would be a future star....I think your memory is playing tricks with you.

Feel free to prove me wrong :).

Found what you're talking about....from here I guess...

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/18946-garbutt-and-barkley/?p=217516

If you think that was giving you stick you have a thin skin and a long memory....was only a bit of banter (and I even apologised for hurting your feelings) :doh: , nothing remotely anti Ross however you look at it.

That pass completion is remarkable for someone playing high up the pitch, Scholes-esque.

You hesitate to make any outlandish comparisons - Barkley has accomplished virtually nothing and Scholes has accomplished virtually everything - but I have to say that Barkley does remind me of Scholes a lot. He has the technical ability to do some magical things but also has that gritty tenacity from box-to-box. Let's hope he can do half the things with us that Scholes did with Man U... and hopefully without the stupid red cards Scholes was prone to.

I don't recall Scholes even being dismissed during a game, he was usually a well behaved professional, and certainly wasn't one to bring attention to himself and always kept a low profile. I care little for what backlash there may be but simply think Barkley would seem a bit over exaggerated sometimes, at least on these pages. Yes he's a talented player, got some good potential, but as with the above (quoting T Howard), hasn't had an opportunity to present himself on the biggest stage such as World Cups or Champions League while at least the other has. All this player hyperbole may be eventually justified over time, but content for now to just allow the player to develop further and see just how good he may become. All seems a little premature at this moment in time to be getting too carried away. We've seen before in recent years players such as Jeffers and Cadamarteri that were destined for great things, but eventually turned to disappointment. Good enough if Barkley turns out to be a world class player that deserves to be talked of with other high profile players over time, but right now, all seems a little early for this maybe.

You hesitate to make any outlandish comparisons - Barkley has accomplished virtually nothing and Scholes has accomplished virtually everything - but I have to say that Barkley does remind me of Scholes a lot. He has the technical ability to do some magical things but also has that gritty tenacity from box-to-box. Let's hope he can do half the things with us that Scholes did with Man U... and hopefully without the stupid red cards Scholes was prone to.

Scholes is the best player I've been lucky enough to see live, I know Barkley won't reach his level was just commenting on the pass completion. But Barkley has the potential to be a notch below. Barkley is probably closer in style to Bobby Charlton and I think Ross will surpass him.

I don't recall Scholes even being dismissed during a game, he was usually a well behaved professional, and certainly wasn't one to bring attention to himself and always kept a low profile. I care little for what backlash there may be but simply think Barkley would seem a bit over exaggerated sometimes, at least on these pages. Yes he's a talented player, got some good potential, but as with the above (quoting T Howard), hasn't had an opportunity to present himself on the biggest stage such as World Cups or Champions League while at least the other has. All this player hyperbole may be eventually justified over time, but content for now to just allow the player to develop further and see just how good he may become. All seems a little premature at this moment in time to be getting too carried away. We've seen before in recent years players such as Jeffers and Cadamarteri that were destined for great things, but eventually turned to disappointment. Good enough if Barkley turns out to be a world class player that deserves to be talked of with other high profile players over time, but right now, all seems a little early for this maybe.

Scholes has picked up his share of stupid red cards, but not because he causes trouble, but because he can't tackle to save his life. Always prone to making an accidental horror tackle.

As for the rest, I'm fairly sure I qualified everything by insisting that Barkley has accomplished nothing and Scholes has accomplished a hell of a lot. I'm simply comparing their games stylistically. That doesn't mean anyone is ready to hand him the Golden Boot.

I remember certain mods on here giving me a bit of stick on here when I said barkley was going to be a star for us 2 or 3 years ago I said he had more in his locker,remember mods,you know who you are.

:rofl:

Haha stick because I asked if you'd seen a lot of Barkley to make that sort of statement. Jesus wept. Not once did I say you were wrong.

Barkley is getting better every game he plays. I remember his first game against QPR. I was at that match and Barkley looked like a completely different player. (Mainly because Moyes played him as RM) but he was getting the ball taking shots from outside the box and they had no power on them. This was probably down to nerves and wanted to show Moyes he could play football. Then he has developed over the years, against Arsenal last year he played well, showed glimpses of what he could do, was eager to get the ball when he lost it etc.

Against Norwich though it was a totally different Ross Barkley who we have seen, he seemed more comfortable on the ball, patient, easy passing, quick movement. Every time he lost the ball he got it back most of the time, the only thing that worries me is that he was a bit hot headed going into tackles. This will come with experience I know, I can see this being Barkleys season to shine. :)

Respectfully disagree. Barkley should have had an extended run in the team and certainly should not have been dropped after his best game. Look how long Coleman had to wait for a proper run at right back and how well that has turned out as opposed to using him as a project right midfielder - where he was actually regressing.

Not having seen enough of either who is better Barkley or wilshire

I went with a mate to see Arsenal play United in London two seasons ago. Wilshire was the best player on the park by a mile. He is similar to Liam Brady without the eye for a goal.

Barkley looks very balanced and powerful. He can shoot with either foot, good range of passing. Like Souness without the dirt.

I would say Wilshire is currently the better of the two.

Yeh Wilshere is still miles ahead. We have only seen that level of performance in one competitive game (maybe 2 if you include Arsenal last year) and whilst he has the potential to be one of the best English players in the league, Wilshere is already there.

Wilshere would also win hands down on the who is the biggest diving, moaning bellend competition between the two as well.

We need to get a hefty transfer value clause (are we allowed because he cost us nothing?) in this lad's contract, before long. Something daft like £60m. Seems to be the way forward. Mind you, it only seems to be other countries in Europe who honour them and/or know how they work properly. We (English) just ignore them or cross our fingers and hope they go away (Fellaini), try and screw the most screwable club in the world (Real Madrid) for even more money (Bale) or have a clause, have it met and then say "Only kidding! Although you've met the valuation we're not selling" (Suarez).

It's bit like beer gardens - we don't know what to do in them and there is usually no garden in sight, just a few patio slabs with a tin bucket for cigarette butts.