IGNORED

Ross Barkley

We've got no one else like Ross, he gives England another option. There is half a dozen players like Sterling, and he has done nothing to oust them.

Don't believe he has done enough to warrant a call up, but I see more reason for him to be there than the likes of Sterling, Cleverlery, Henderson, and Zaha all picked on who they play for. At least Ross has done something on the pitch to get noticed.

But Rooney had played more first-team games. Let's be objective here: Ross Barkley has played two good games at the start of this season. Should that be the basis for playing for his country? It seems premature to me.

Why not? If he proves himself weve got a great player in the midfield come the world cup. Who would you put ahead of him at the moment, from the England setup?

But Rooney had played more first-team games. Let's be objective here: Ross Barkley has played two good games at the start of this season. Should that be the basis for playing for his country? It seems premature to me.

I don't think for one second that Barkley has been picked because of those two games. Hodgson has seen him at close quarters - he worked with him at St Georges Park and quoted that he along with Townsend are players who can impact games. To which I totally agree.

As I have said, how many midfielders/attacking mids are ahead of him for England? For me not many at all in terms of a squad sized selection. His attributes are made for international football.

I don't think for one second that Barkley has been picked because of those two games. Hodgson has seen him at close quarters - he worked with him at St Georges Park and quoted that he along with Townsend are players who can impact games. To which I totally agree.

As I have said, how many midfielders/attacking mids are ahead of him for England? For me not many at all in terms of a squad sized selection. His attributes are made for international football.

managed him the other week in the U21 didnt he? Beating Scotland 6-0 and playing well by all accounts.

I actually agree.

To play for your country you should be consistently good for your club. Barkley has done well in pre-season and on his first two competitive starts but surely we should at least be giving him a few more games to get that maturity into him before he gets his call up, especially as he hasn't even been a regular for the U20's or U21's.

I have no doubts the lad is capable of being in the England team for years to come, but let him compete at the right level and gain his stripes at club level and with England U21's. When he has shown he isnt a flash in the pan the give him a call up.

managed him the other week in the U21 didnt he? Beating Scotland 6-0 and playing well by all accounts.

But he started on the bench which suggests he wasnt even first choice for them, despite Hodgson being in charge. He must have improved a lot since then it seems!

I actually agree.

To play for your country you should be consistently good for your club. Barkley has done well in pre-season and on his first two competitive starts but surely we should at least be giving him a few more games to get that maturity into him before he gets his call up, especially as he hasn't even been a regular for the U20's or U21's.

I have no doubts the lad is capable of being in the England team for years to come, but let him compete at the right level and gain his stripes at club level and with England U21's. When he has shown he isnt a flash in the pan the give him a call up.

I disagree completely. To play for your country you should be the best of the best at the time for that position. If youre on a 4 game hotstreak and theres an international, you try and carry that form over.

Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of regulars who are only possible to replace once injured/retired and get stuck "average performs" at big clubs.

I disagree completely. To play for your country you should be the best of the best at the time for that position. If youre on a 4 game hotstreak and theres an international, you try and carry that form over.

Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of regulars who are only possible to replace once injured/retired and get stuck "average performs" at big clubs.

Well I completely disagree with that :P

Yes form should be taken into account but you want players you know can do a job and aren't just thriving for a small period of time for whatever reason. Otherwise we would have all sorts of shite players turning up to be a one-cap wonder because the media thinks they are doing well (because lets me honest, that is what will happen and is happening).

I think you should be picking the players that turn up every week and play well consistently. If people aren't in form then I agree they shouldn't be playing, and unless you play under Moyes its unlikely that you will be playing for your club side anyway. The Wilshere's and Gerrard's do it week in week out and whilst neither are playing to the best of their ability their average performance is still miles ahead of most others and that is what you need at international level. Players that have done well for the previous couple of months (which is invariably the gap between games anyway) should get the nod as well but a couple of games isnt enough.

If Felliani is on his way out with McCarthy already lined up as his replacement, as the papers this morning are suggesting, how would people feel about Barkley moving back to play alongside McCarthy in the middle?

The McCarthy rumour seems to have been met with a lot of negativity among Everton fans, with many feeling he would be a step backwards from Fellaini, this may be true if he is viewed as a direct replacement, but he isn't.

The 2 players skill sets are very different. Felliani is a dominant, box-to-box midfielder who carries a real goal threat when in the box. McCarthy is a deep lying midfielder with good ball retention and passing ability.

What we lose then is the goals that Felliani brings to the side (although this seems to be less this season with Fellaini moved deeper) and a dominant driving force in the middle, what we gain is a player well versed in Martinez style of play who is able to get the ball moving.

Moving Barkley back in to the 'no8' role alongside McCarthy would give us a real driving force in the middle, someone able to take the ball forward and make something happen to complement McCarthys more simple and disciplined game, it would also leave a vacancy in the side for a genuine no10 to play in front of these 2 which is where I believe we would get the goals back.

I have always been an advocate of Barkley playing in that no10 role while he cuts the mistakes out of his game, but have always felt he would eventually end up playing in the middle. Due to his rate of development already this season and due to circumstance it may be best to accelerate him in to this position.

If the figures reported are correct this would leave us 12million to find a top class no10 who would bring creativity and goals to the side. I genuinely believe this would give us a more balanced and creative midfield. We would also have more options with the injury-prone Gibson and tired looking Osman not so heavily relied on.

All in my opinion of course and based on rumour but I am interested to hear your thoughts.