IGNORED

Ross Barkley

But, he doesn't give it away more than other players, especially those up front, do. His giveaways are magnified because of the expectation that, with his talent, what amazing things we've seen him do, and all that we've built him up to be, he will turn a miracle every time he touches it. And, of course he can't make miracles happen constantly (no player can), but we punish him for not being perfect. When he misses a pass that was on, holds onto the ball too long, makes a quick decision but a wrong one, or when he misses a shot, we as fans and the Goodison crowd abuse him. I think so many of us have put upon him the expectation that he's going to be Everton's savior (not to mention England's), that, when he fails to live up to that impossible standard, we vent all of our unfulfilled frustrations and place them onto him. In these moments, he functions as yet another symbol of unfulfilled promise and all that is wrong with club and country. From the US, and as someone who hasn't followed Everton from birth, this is evident in how the local and national press treat homegrown and English players and how fans internalize all of this. There's without a doubt an inferiority complex at work here, and Everton fans (and England fans) are constantly looking for answers as to why the team can't return to former glories. The press brings news of messiahs, and everybody gets their hopes up, and 16-year-old kids are shouldered with the hopes and dreams of club and country. Yet, none can live up to the standards. When times are good and the team is playing well, everybody sings the praises of that diamond, Ross Barkley. But, when the team's form drops, everybody looks to him and says "I've doubted you from the beginning, you fucking charlatan!" This is where the "you never ask about Seamus Coleman" quote from Koeman comes from. Ross Barkley isn't the panacea for all of Everton's ills and neither is he the root of the apparent disease.

I agree with many of your points regarding the media and the scrutiny and I get that. It isn't going to change however. Footballs like that, it always will be, not just in England but even in Europe. English fans make out that we are the only one who get on our players backs. It's not, it's everywhere, Spain, Italy and South America.

Regarding him giving the ball away, I feel it is more scrutinised as he is always in good positions where his final pass is magnified because of where we are on the pitch.

He always seems to be the one to play that final through ball and invariably doesn't deliver. Anyhow, let's agree to disagree. Let's

Hope he proves me wrong against palace!!!

I'm a fan of Ross but over the last two seasons it's as though he's shoe horned into that position because "it's Barkley". His performances have been average on a whole. The odd game were he's terrific just isn't good enough to justify him keeping that spot. For me he's a hinderance at times.

I still maintain the best I've seen of him has been in a deeper role! The Derby in Martinez first season when he dropped into midfield he was brilliant.

I'm with you again MC, I think he could really exploit other teams from deep. More space to run into, more options in front of him.

I don't buy this idea that Ross gives the ball away all the time either. A little Google for his Opta stats;

pass completion rate, premier league only.

16/17 6 matches 83.9%

15/16 36 matches 86%

14/15 22 matches 87.9%

His average from his 128 Everton games so far is 85.4%

McCarthy has an average of 85.4% from his 225 games for Wigan and Everton, in a position with far less risk.

Barry has an average of 84.2% from his 253 games for City and Everton, again, in a position with far less risk.

I know its just stats, but Barkley gives the ball away less than Barry, that's just a fact. In six games this season its 83.9% to 82.5%. He cant be that bad in possession if he keeps the ball more than Barry can he?

I don't want to seem like the Ross Barkley Appreciation Society, I am the Leighton Baines Obsession Club though, I just don't understand some of the grief he gets.

The problem is Barkley should lose the ball more often in his position, but is scared to take the risk. I'd prefer to see him try a threaded ball rather than play it safe.

I agree Pete, I'd rather see that too. If that ball doesn't come off we know what happens to him after that.

The problem is Barkley should lose the ball more often in his position, but is scared to take the risk. I'd prefer to see him try a threaded ball rather than play it safe.

that's where i'm at with him too. He dribbles too much when he should shoot and plays the mccarthy side/back passes when he should try and thread balls or link up. the 10 needs to create, he isn't. so he should either be played deeper as a box to box or pair him with Rom in a 442 striker pair and just tell him shoot on first touch and get in the box. either way i think he would be better.

He's an enigma, he can't play any position very well.

I just checked his stats and every member of the first eleven including Holgate are rated above him. I'm Not one for stats but these include goals, assists, dribling, passing, aggression, shooting and tackling, and ratings for each game. Basically everything you are supposed to do as a footballer.

Twelve players are above him in the all round ratings, a very bad performance so far this season, let's hope he puts in some better shows from now on cos Koeman won't put up with it.

He's an enigma, he can't play any position very well.

I just checked his stats and every member of the first eleven including Holgate are rated above him. I'm Not one for stats but these include goals, assists, dribling, passing, aggression, shooting and tackling, and ratings for each game. Basically everything you are supposed to do as a footballer.

Twelve players are above him in the all round ratings, a very bad performance so far this season, let's hope he puts in some better shows from now on cos Koeman won't put up with it.

Where did you get these stats bill?

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/31 presumably.

But the fact that Seamus is at the top with Gana third totally discredits them for me.

2+2=Seamus rears it's head again :rofl:

I think figuring out Barkley will be an important storyline this campaign. How does RK play/deal with him and where does he play him? Is he worth the hype or should he be replaced? Time will tell, but RK seems to have a handle on it so far.

2+2=Seamus rears it's head again :rofl:

I think figuring out Barkley will be an important storyline this campaign. How does RK play/deal with him and where does he play him? Is he worth the hype or should he be replaced? Time will tell, but RK seems to have a handle on it so far.

There is no hype. He's a solid right back that many teams would love to have.

There is no hype. He's a solid right back that many teams would love to have.

i'm sorry haf there were 2 different thoughts there. the seamus joke was in relation to him being our highest rated stats player. all the rest of the post about RK managing the player were aimed at Barkley. I'm more or less saying since he has a new manager RK will give him a chance, but if he keeps up lackluster performances this year it will be interesting to see how RK deals with Barkley. Will he try him in another position or just buy a replacement and hope the competition spurs him on? time will tell

i'm sorry haf there were 2 different thoughts there. the seamus joke was in relation to him being our highest rated stats player. all the rest of the post about RK managing the player were aimed at Barkley. I'm more or less saying since he has a new manager RK will give him a chance, but if he keeps up lackluster performances this year it will be interesting to see how RK deals with Barkley. Will he try him in another position or just buy a replacement and hope the competition spurs him on? time will tell

Ah get ya.

Guest rusty747

Ross plays in, arguably, the most important position in our team. If he plays badly we will struggle. And he has played badly, too often. I'm not suggesting that others haven't had bad bad games too but if Ross can't get his act together pronto we need to look at alternatives. Maybe even think about easing Tom Davies or the lad we bought from Sheff Utd on transfer deadline day, in to replace Ross - at least for a few matches.

Ross may come good but we should not be talking about potential with him now. He has to deliver, consistently.

Ross plays in, arguably, the most important position in our team. If he plays badly we will struggle. And he has played badly, too often. I'm not suggesting that others haven't had bad bad games too but if Ross can't get his act together pronto we need to look at alternatives. Maybe even think about easing Tom Davies or the lad we bought from Sheff Utd on transfer deadline day, in to replace Ross - at least for a few matches.

Ross may come good but we should not be talking about potential with him now. He has to deliver, consistently.

I would really like to see Calvert-Lewin in the first team at some point this season. I base that on footage I've seen of him and comments from Unsworth.

I would really like to see Calvert-Lewin in the first team at some point this season. I base that on footage I've seen of him and comments from Unsworth.

He's the second coming of Lukas Jutkiewicz. Honestly from what I've seen I'd cut our losses and sell straight away.

Fuck me... I used to feel sorry for you when you got picked on. Told you to get a scary avatar etc.

It seems to me you enjoy posters who talk shit nowadays and happily join in with them.

How is he shite? Clearly ridiculously talented and can make you eat your words like he did vs Sunderland. Lad lacks a mentor and brain.

Prove me wrong, bounce back, but proving me wrong isn't have a good next game, or one after that, it's doing it week in week out like a top player should do. Not showing up for 10 minutes of every other game which is all he's done in the past 2 or 3 seasons.

You said it yourself he lacks a brain, that's something you either have or don't in football and he doesn't have one.

I honestly, in my opinion (although I know you don't like opinions Haf you start having a pop at people for those!) I'm amazed at how people can watch this lad (seemingly every single weekend) and invest so much confidence in his ability. That's Denousonal.

Prove me wrong, bounce back, but proving me wrong isn't have a good next game, or one after that, it's doing it week in week out like a top player should do. Not showing up for 10 minutes of every other game which is all he's done in the past 2 or 3 seasons.

You said it yourself he lacks a brain, that's something you either have or don't in football and he doesn't have one.

I honestly, in my opinion (although I know you don't like opinions Haf you start having a pop at people for those!) I'm amazed at how people can watch this lad (seemingly every single weekend) and invest so much confidence in his ability. That's Denousonal.

There's definitely something there but IMO we're yet to see him play in his correct position to find consistency! It's such a tough one. One of my favourite players but slowly becoming less and less influential.

You said he's shite. I love opinions... loosely formed ones that end up in comments like "he's shite" aren't really opinions. It's the sort of thing you say when you have a pint in your hand and can't be arsed debating.

You said he's shite. I love opinions... loosely formed ones that end up in comments like "he's shite" aren't really opinions. It's the sort of thing you say when you have a pint in your hand and can't be arsed debating.

Of course it's an opinion, albeit a slightly broad, malicious one which lacks anything constructive, but thats irrelevant I'm not trying to build his confidence up he will never read this post.

Maybe shite was wrong to say, but it's the modern day. Here is my opinion, he's not that good. More PC?

You're right though, the Barkley debate has gone on for too long and I can't be arsed anymore with it!

Totally agree. The minute people realise he isn't this footballer with so much potential the better. It's nothing to do with the position he plays, the manager or the crowd. The lad simply doesn't have the football brain. It is astounding how many people can see him play at a 5/10 more often than not and still think he could be the next gascoigne. Let's just move on

If he never had 2 feet, never had a great shot in either foot, never had the ability to run at pace with the ball then I would say a poor brain on top of all that renders him useless.

The fact is that it's only his brain/confidence etc that is the problem. He probably cares too much.

Now.... here's a tweet that some may likeTake a look at @uMAXitFootball's Tweet: