IGNORED

Ross Barkley

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I agree with your point. Barkley is still a twat though.

Consider the case of Niasse then. Every man and his dog wanted him out of this club. He didn't have a locker, he was sent on loan, and we attempted to sell him to get the money back that we paid.

Unfortunately football is a business and some players are fortunate enough to make their own decisions about where they want to go and others get forced out by their clubs when they aren't wanted any more. 

In hindsight the club should have sold Barkley 2 years ago when he didn't sign an extension. They hoped and probably took it for granted that he would sign and that' why we are where we are. 

Barkley has been smart, he has also been a cunt, but he has been smart and done what he thinks is best for him and his family. 

In truth this happens every day in a non footballing environment. Loyal employees are forced to leave (Niasse) and people who have come through the ranks go on to move companies because they think there will be greater opportunities (Barkley). I have had the first happen to me before and I expect that in the not to distant future I will also do the second.

Just to clarify:  I think his agent has been smart, though I agree with the follow up comment.

8 hours ago, hafnia said:

But everyone agreed (eventually) that the way niasse was treated was a disgrace

If he had left no-one would have given a shit. The majority only eventually agreed when he started contributing. 

How many on here are also asking for Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Klaasen etc to be moved on. How many have even said we should cash out on Barkley!? 

It' a fickle sport and a short career. As an Everton fan, I am pissed with him for how he has gone about this move, but I can also appreciate that footballers need to make the decision that's best for them because you don' know what' around the corner.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

If he had left no-one would have given a shit. The majority only eventually agreed when he started contributing. 

How many on here are also asking for Schneiderlin, Mirallas, Klaasen etc to be moved on. How many have even said we should cash out on Barkley!? 

It' a fickle sport and a short career. As an Everton fan, I am pissed with him for how he has gone about this move, but I can also appreciate that footballers need to make the decision that's best for them because you don' know what' around the corner.

No they never.  It was when the details of how koeman treated him came out.  The performances were far after that. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I know the consensus is that playing for the club you support is the dream situation but I can imagine from a professional viewpoint its not without its disadvantages, especially when that club is  no where near competing at the highest level consistently.

No way Gerrard's not waking up in a cold sweat at least once a week about the antecedent events that lead to him falling over and destroying his only chance to win a title, good chance he's been in Barkley's ear.

9 hours ago, hafnia said:

No they never.  It was when the details of how koeman treated him came out.  The performances were far after that. 

A few people werent happy before but there was still a lot of 'he isn'tt good enough and I don' care' or similar attitudes. 

Even now, most of this forum want him moved on because he isn'tt good enough. Thats the main difference. If Barkley was shite, no-one would really bat an eyelid. Because he is a very good player who is worth a few bob, it' a different story. 

Going back a few years, look at Unsworths story. He was basically forced out of the club he loves by those above him. 

Its a mercenaries game, as are most jobs.

There's an interesting chapter in the book 'Why England Lose' by Simon Kuper that addresses the idea of players being fans of the clubs they play for. 

He looks at a few examples of players that were 'fans' of their boyhood clubs including Rooney, but also Ashley Cole, Lampard and some others.  His conclusion is not only that there is no such thing as a a player who is also a fan of a club, but that it is virtually impossible for players to be fans and professional/career minded at the same time in this era, especially for elite players.  Behaviours of a fan and of an elite footballer are totally incompatible.  Looking at it another way, they are on the lookout for themselves, and their careers.  Professional concerns will always trump emotional ones. 

Barclay is just the latest example of that.  It won't be the last either, it's just that this example is particularly messy and foul.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

City getting Sanchez from Arsenal for £20m so comparing the two players the Barkley deal seems to be OK.

But that ignores the fact that Sanchez has been pushing for a move for the better part of a year, while Barkley turned down a move in the summer to the same club he's now signed with.

Irrespective of wages or  if he turned down the move six moths ago i'm just comparing the fee for the players, Sanchez is twice the player compared to Barkley so i think we're lucky to get £15m for him.  I know hes a twat the way he handled it but £15m is a good price.

21 hours ago, Bill said:

Irrespective of wages or  if he turned down the move six moths ago i'm just comparing the fee for the players, Sanchez is twice the player compared to Barkley so i think we're lucky to get £15m for him.  I know hes a twat the way he handled it but £15m is a good price.

But transfers don't work in a vacuum apart from those things and we should have had £35m five months ago. If Sanchez had a year left on his contract, he'd still go for upwards of £60m. Arsenal aren't biting on that alleged £20m offer from City, and he's much more likely to go for more.

1 hour ago, nyblue23 said:

But transfers don't work in a vacuum apart from those things and we should have had £35m five months ago. If Sanchez had a year left on his contract, he'd still go for upwards of £60m. Arsenal aren't biting on that alleged £20m offer from City, and he's much more likely to go for more.

Part of the reason they aren't biting is because Sanchez is still a more than useful part of the first 11. If he helps get them in the CL, that money means sweet FA. With Barkley coming back from injury, and little for us to play for, he is less impotant to us than Sanchez is for Arsenal.