IGNORED

Jose Baxter

Incredible gesture from the club. I do understand a lot of people moaning about giving him effectively his third chance at a pro career but its the gesture as a whole that makes me proud to support this club. How many clubs wash their hands clean once a player leaves the club. Whilst as a club we exist to make money and (hopefully) win trophies, it shows that we sill have a soul when so many clubs can easily be accused of being (and are) soulless.

And at the end of the day he is on effectively a nothing contract.

I still don't get it to be honest. Why not then just offer contracts to every kid who ever comes through our Academy, rather than turn them loose if they're not good enough to find other clubs or even careers? Nothing Baxter has done in his career (and he's no longer young) has suggested he's good enough to be anywhere near Everton's team, so what is this 'gesture' about? How many young players get let go by Everton every year and are now struggling to make a living somewhere? Should we extend charity to them too? If I were one of them I'd be pretty confused by this Baxter offer, and even a little resentful. Tony Hibbert gave his entire career to the club, wasn't he unceremoniously booted out in the summer? There are many things which make me feel proud to support Everton, and make me think of the club as a 'proper' people's club, but this isn't one of them. You can be an honest, ethical club with a soul and still not stoop to ridiculous acts of sentiment. Just my opinion.

Edited by Isaiah

I applaud Everton for this, guy has drugs problems, has reached out to Everton in the community and we have helped him. He is an ex youth star and if we can help him get his life back on track, and he acts as a warning to younger players then all good. Helps with our reputation and also Everton in the community as they do spot of work with addicts.

One of the differences with Baxter is that he is good enough to make himself a career in the lower leagues. We aren't promising him anything, he may not even play for the U23s but we are helping him train and get over his problems and get his head back in the game. As people have said, he does work with EITC and it could be a good thing for the other lads to see what can go wrong and it will keep them grounded.

Unsy is the one who seems to have made the decision and I would definitely trust him to do what's best for the club. If he thought Baxter was going take the piss or ruin the togetherness of the group then he wouldn't have offered to do what we are doing.

I'm not sure why he needs to be given a contract, and therefore paid by us, for him to do anything he'll be doing while with us though. We could just as easily said he could train with our U23s and have the benefit of using world class training facilities without paying him for the privilege.

If he'd only made the one mistake then I could completely understand us doing this, but he's had a few chances and wasted them all by making the same mistakes again. He doesn't deserve this opportunity but I hope he doesn't fuck this one up as well.

I'm not sure why he needs to be given a contract, and therefore paid by us, for him to do anything he'll be doing while with us though. We could just as easily said he could train with our U23s and have the benefit of using world class training facilities without paying him for the privilege.

If he'd only made the one mistake then I could completely understand us doing this, but he's had a few chances and wasted them all by making the same mistakes again. He doesn't deserve this opportunity but I hope he doesn't fuck this one up as well.

I only imagine it is a contract so that he can play in the games to put himself in the shop window so to speak. Without something in place I doubt he could play. Not sure how long the contract will be for though?

He's not being brought in to play for us at senior level. He's been told it's to help find himself a permanent club.

I read that hes brought in to play for the U23 and if he does well enough he will be called to the first team, that was direct from Unsy as well.

EDIT: and now ive just read(from unsy again) that it isn't a first team offer.

Edited by aaron

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Proud of the club in what we have done here.

As stupid as the lad has been he could have been suicidal or anything after blowing his big chances. He's 26.... I did so many stupid things before this age- not drugs but certainly things that threatened my future. 

Let's hope he can turn it round and be an example to the many thousands of kids in the high pressure scenario that he was in.... inches away from having a top career but falling for the pitfalls of hangers on and bad temptations

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...